Basic Networking/Gnodal

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

AJXCR

Jan 20, 2017
Alright.. unfortunately I'm still fighting the Gnodal switch. I'm sure at this point it's a basic networking error on my part, but I can't seem to get past it.

Initially I was running into a problem where I where the 10G ports were listed as "down"; swapping out generic DACs for transceivers and patch cables seems to have addressed this as the ports are now listed as "Status: connected/up" and "Protocol: Up"... but I can't seem to get past the "no-negotiation" hurdle.

Current physical config is:
(Juniper AX2100 SFP+) --> (Intel SFP+ in) --> (Intel SFP+ out) --> (Gnodal SFP+ Port1) --> (T580 4x10G Spider)

I've configured:
the appropriate gateway/interface IP's & Subnet on the PFSense WAN interface
An IP & Subnet on the PFSense LAN interface
The Subnet and an IP from LAN on the Gnodal (port 1)
The cpu0 (management..?) IP on the Gnodal
The Subnet and IP's from the LAN on each of the 4x 10G interfaces of the T580

If I go straight from the PFSense to the T580 (skipping the Gnodal) I'm connected and all is well...

cpu0 is the management interface correct? Based on the documentation it would appear this is the case, but "show nvram" would appear to report the "default interface name" to be "cpu0". My interpretation is that the "Default IP Address" should be exactly what it reads.. The switches default/primary IP address..? The documentation seems to go around in circles here..

"Default IP Address Config Mode" is listed as "Manual" ...This should be referring to how the switch is assigned an IP? If not, do I need to be configuring IP's for each port?

Default IP Address Allocation Protocol is "DHCP" ...This is how the switch allocates out IP's?

A CLI networking lesson would be much appreciated! This thing is killing me.

AJXCR

Jan 20, 2017
Well.... I take that back. After several hours of toying with it to no avail, everything is suddenly working perfectly :)

Reactions: RTM