Badly swollen UPS batteries... bad UPS or could it be one event?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Gnodu

Oct 10, 2015
If this is the wrong forum to ask in, I apologize in advance... seemed like the most applicable.

This is a UPS that gets pretty light duty-- really it's been more in a role of surge suppressor, and to my knowledge has never been drained to 0 repeatedly or anything like that. Is a SmartUPS 1500, I can grab the model number if relevant. I have had it in use for about a year.

We had some HUGE storms last night, and we definitely experienced some serious power surge and brownout activity-- but nothing too awful. However, I have a very small UPS that basically keeps the AT&T fiber gateway online, and it was faulting (think it's fried-- again- definitely some surges)-- so I grabbed this one and went to replace it. Wouldn't start. Immediately figured the batteries were ld/low, opened the compartment, and found some REALLY badly swollen cells, on all three of the batteries. (Yuasa batteries, so they were not generic ones or anything...).

My question is:
1) Is this a case of the UPS overcharging the batteries?
a) and if so, is this something I should even consider trying to adjust?
2) Is it possible that a one time (or series of surges) would have caused this?

In other words... do I replace the batteries, learn how to adjust it, or do I just buy a different unit and replace altogether? (Is it even worth trying to adjust?)

WANg

Jun 10, 2018
New York, NY
If this is the wrong forum to ask in, I apologize in advance... seemed like the most applicable.

This is a UPS that gets pretty light duty-- really it's been more in a role of surge suppressor, and to my knowledge has never been drained to 0 repeatedly or anything like that. Is a SmartUPS 1500, I can grab the model number if relevant. I have had it in use for about a year.

We had some HUGE storms last night, and we definitely experienced some serious power surge and brownout activity-- but nothing too awful. However, I have a very small UPS that basically keeps the AT&T fiber gateway online, and it was faulting (think it's fried-- again- definitely some surges)-- so I grabbed this one and went to replace it. Wouldn't start. Immediately figured the batteries were ld/low, opened the compartment, and found some REALLY badly swollen cells, on all three of the batteries. (Yuasa batteries, so they were not generic ones or anything...).

My question is:
1) Is this a case of the UPS overcharging the batteries?
a) and if so, is this something I should even consider trying to adjust?
2) Is it possible that a one time (or series of surges) would have caused this?

In other words... do I replace the batteries, learn how to adjust it, or do I just buy a different unit and replace altogether? (Is it even worth trying to adjust?)
Definitely replace the batteries - and I kinda doubt there's much you can do besides looking for new UPS firmware and/or recalibrate.

Reactions: TangoWhiskey9

Gnodu

Oct 10, 2015
Thanks- reading the article on approaches now, but this gives me a little more hope on salvaging and not having a repeat in the future. Going to at least try and lower the voltage... but still a lot cheaper than a new one. Would much rather save for other, more interesting toys!
-Matt