Backup recommendations?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

perdrix

Mar 3, 2016
I'm looking for a single backup solution for all my computers.

Currently I'm using Macrium Reflect Free to take FULL images of the six Windows machines (one is dual boot XP/W10) , backup is to Ubuntu Linux server running Samba with a 22TB RAID5 shared drive.

I also take images to tape (LTO-4) over iSCSI, but the boot-able SW I used to use won't work with my latest machine as it doesn't support the NIC - I used to like Acronis, but I've fallen out of love with them over the last 10 years or so with their buggy bloat-ware.

I can (sort of) live with loosing the 22TB share as it's only use to store music, movies and backups. It can be re-created if necessary (though its a pain - esp. the music). Sadly I can't afford LTO-8 drive/tapes.

Requirements:
  1. MUST be able to do a bare metal restore of any machine at any time.
  2. Able to restore to different (replacement) hardware for migration or to handle problem like a dead motherboard!
  3. LTO tape support over iSCSI (or other means) - maybe via backup server (T-T-D)?
  4. Would be good to be able to do bare metal backups too!
  5. Free or cheap :)
Thanks
David

JoshDi

Jun 13, 2019
I recently switched to GSuite and RClone, since Google has insane upload/download capacity and supports a maximum of 750gb upload and 10tb download per day for GSuite. It only costs $10 dollars a month too