Backing up to an External HDD

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

ARNiTECT

Jan 14, 2020
What is the suggested method for reliably replicating filesystems to a removable external USB HDD?

I just tried to replicate a number of ZFS filing systems to a USB connected 5TB 2.5" HDD and midway through the replication, the drive reported errors and now I can't remove the new pool it is/was on.

Using ESXi 6.7, I pass-through 'Host USB Device', select my drive.
In OmniOS 151034/Napp-it 20.01a5 Pro I see the new drive and create a new pool Tank4 with the usb drive as a basic vdev.
I set a job to Replicate from Source Pool/ZFS: Tank2/Archive to Target Pool: Tank4 and as expected it created a new filesystem under pool Tank4.
The first 20GB filesystem test went ok, then I tried a different 500GB filesystem and when I returned pool Tank4 was no longer listed under ZFS Filesystems and in Pools it's state is unavailable, status: 'One or more devices are faulted in response to IO failures'
'cannot open 'Tank': pool I/O is currently suspended'
I am running the drive through WD Data LifeGuard (9 hours to go), but it is a fairly new drive with very little use.

Are there issues with using USB connected drives for replication, or assuming the drive/cable/controller are ok, it should work?

How do I remove pool:Tank4 state: UNAVAIL?

Last edited:

gea

Dec 31, 2010
DE
You can only export/ destroy a ZFS pool in online or degraded mode. When a disk fails with a basic pool on it, the pool is unavail with pending io and ZFS is waiting to finish the waiting io. You need a reboot to solve this situation and remove the failed pool.

There has been a problem with Illumos and large USB disks but this should be solved in current OmniOS, Bug #11952: large USB hard disks experience I/O failures - illumos gate - illumos so this seems more a general problem with USB reliabiliy together with some disks or chipsets. You may try USB2/3 or a different controller/ setup as your problem seems USB and not the disk. In general an eSata or a disk that you can insert into the hotplug capable backplane is not only faster but more reliable.

ARNiTECT

Jan 14, 2020
Thanks Gea, I'll wait until this evening and restart the server and try again.

I used USB2, so will try adding a USB3 controller in ESXi to use host USB devices.

Another issue might be that I currently have a complicated USB setup in ESXi. OmniOS & my Primary DC installed on an ESXi datastore on an SSD connected using an SATA-USB adapter; so the USB Arbitrator service is disabled and I have then specifically re-enabled the pass-through of the 5TB USB-HDD. So far I haven't had any issues with this setup. I do have an NVMe Optane 900P, which I plan to use instead ...and reset the ESXi USB settings back to their defaults.

I have a number of 4-5TB ext 2.5" USB-HDD which I cycle for backups (pass-through to windows server VM), but would rather use ZFS replication.

I will look into external hot-swap esata drivebay/docking station.

Last edited:

ARNiTECT

Jan 14, 2020
I decided to abandon USB for backup and instead shuck a couple of 5TB Seagate 2.5" portable drives and replace my 6x2.5" drive bay with a 4x2.5" drive bay that accepts 15mm thick drives.
In the future, I will experiment with passing through USB to OmniOS, as I think it would still be useful.