Backhaul options

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

jims2321

Jul 7, 2013
Getting ready to relocate my servers and mining rigs across the basement (about 40 ft away). I can't relocate the bulk of my ethernet connections (hardwired to one spot) or my gateway (Gigapower RG). But I have 4 servers (mix of dells, supermicro's and diy) and 4 rigs that will be relocated. One of the biggest issues I see is the amount of electric wiring in the the walls and ceiling running around the basement. This is in part due to a previous improvement to upgrade available power in the basement. My concern is the amount of emi/rfi that will would be picked up by standard UTP cat 6.

So I narrow my choices to either STP cat 6/6A/... or fiber for the run between the switch (old spot) to switch at my new location in the basement. It would have to be at a minimum 1Ge between the two spots, prefer 10Ge that I could upgrade down the road if needed.

Jim

maze

Apr 27, 2013
Would just run a fiber link.. problem solved and your future proofing aswell while at it..

pricklypunter

Nov 10, 2015
Canada
The only thing I would want to know is how long your horizontal runs to that spot are. If by adding 40 feet, you are over 100M total, then yes, you are out of spec, if not, then I would simply put a small patch panel at both ends and trunk cable the damned thing. You would really need to go some to cause any level of ingress that would upset the Magnetic's in the NIC's. They are designed to handle a whole bunch of noise and balance/ cancel it out. Of course, if your welder plugs in right beside your TOR Switch or something, that's a different story, but for normal residential loads, I wouldn't sweat it :)

int0x2e

Dec 9, 2015
+1 for fiber.
I suggest you look into pre-terminated MTP/MPO fiber.
For a little extra cost, you get 8/12 strands which can be either used as 4/6 pairs of duplex fiber links or a single 40+ gbps line.

Deslok

Jul 15, 2015
deslok.dyndns.org
+1 for fiber.
I suggest you look into pre-terminated MTP/MPO fiber.
For a little extra cost, you get 8/12 strands which can be either used as 4/6 pairs of duplex fiber links or a single 40+ gbps line.
I think you can do 40Gb over a single pair up to 100m on OM3 and 150m on OM4

jims2321

Jul 7, 2013
fiber it is. I will check fs.com and look at getting pair of switches with sfp+ ports to connect the two spots.

Deslok

Jul 15, 2015
deslok.dyndns.org
Depending on how complex your network is some mikrotik switches might be your best choice(the CSS326-24G-2S+RM is just over 100 on the low end and the CRS328-24P-4S+RM at around 350 is a personal favorite)