Backblaze Storage pod 3 is now out.

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Had a little writeup on the main site today around the Blackblaze V3 :)

Trying to grab coffee in SF with their CEO next week.

Scout255

Feb 12, 2013
Definately interesting seeing them updating this regularily and provide information on what is and is not working for them.

If only it had a SAS backplane and not a SATA Multiplier backplane, this would be a much more interesting project (could be used in a more performance demanding enviroment) but it would certainly cost more....

RimBlock

Sep 18, 2011
Singapore
Haha, stumbled across it today whilst looking for OEM case manufacturers.

Interesting they are using the i3-2100. My local distro cannot source them anymore and the i3-2120 is being sold at the same price.

RB

jcl333

May 28, 2011
Huh, this is possibly just what I am looking for. The improvement to the vibration system is great.

I have been on the fence on what to do for my build for quite awhile now, but I may go for one of these. I already e-mailed protocase about the availability of the new pods.

I have almost pulled the trigger on a Supermicro, Norco, or the Habey ESC-4242C (Habey ESC-4242C 4U Storage Server Chassis with 24 hot-swap SAS/SATA Bay - Newegg.com). I think I pretty much have noise and power consumption addressed with all three solutions, but the thing that was giving me pause was the drive vibration issue. This seems like it would not present a noise problem, and might do a better job of dealing with vibration---or shall I say deal with it at all, since the other solutions don't really, they just expect you to use RE / Enterprise drives or you are otherwise on your own.

Now if I can only decide between RAID and ZFS.... sigh.

-JCL

thexder1

Aug 12, 2013
Huh, this is possibly just what I am looking for. The improvement to the vibration system is great.

I have been on the fence on what to do for my build for quite awhile now, but I may go for one of these. I already e-mailed protocase about the availability of the new pods.

I have almost pulled the trigger on a Supermicro, Norco, or the Habey ESC-4242C (Habey ESC-4242C 4U Storage Server Chassis with 24 hot-swap SAS/SATA Bay - Newegg.com). I think I pretty much have noise and power consumption addressed with all three solutions, but the thing that was giving me pause was the drive vibration issue. This seems like it would not present a noise problem, and might do a better job of dealing with vibration---or shall I say deal with it at all, since the other solutions don't really, they just expect you to use RE / Enterprise drives or you are otherwise on your own.

Now if I can only decide between RAID and ZFS.... sigh.

-JCL

Why only RAID or ZFS, why not both? Besides ZFS means you would most likely want solaris or BSD, since it is not in the Linux kernel. Solaris is evil and BSD is well BSD. I prefer Linux, ext4 and prepare to move to btrfs once that is stable enough, but that is just what I would do with it.