Avoton (Atom) C2750 vs E3 1200 v3

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

els

Feb 15, 2014
Trying to elicit some responses - my current server running ESXi has X3440 processor and it is still decent at least for home lab (a variety of Linux, windows 2012 servers) although single hard drive is the bottleneck. That being said, I'm thinking about getting either C2750 or E3 1200 v3 along with RAID controller. I'm wondering how does C2750 perform? Against X3440? Would it suffice for home lab? I'm hoping I can run 5-7 VMS at any given time with RAID 10 config.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Which hypervisor?

One idea els... have you tried STHbench? You can benchmark your X3440 setup and compare to the benchmarks we have on the main site. My sense is that single threaded the X3440 will be much faster. Multithreaded it will be close. Power wise, the C2750 will be MUCH better. You will get 2x SATA 3 with the C2750 and (assuming Supermicro) the quad i354 controller which seems to be pretty good.

Big reasons for the E3-1200 v3 would be if you need more performance, PCIe 3.0 lanes or VT-d.

els

Feb 15, 2014
Thanks Patrick. I'm using VMWare ESXi.

I haven't tried STHbench. Can I set up a new VM and get script or do I need to install Ubuntu directly? Based on your comment, it sounds like E3-1200 v3 may be a safe approach. If I'm not mistaken, it has lower power consumption than X3440.

I run various VMs including SharePoint, MS SQL and such. I am not too worried about Linux servers but MS SQL and SharePoint VMs can require significant resources and C2750 may not cut it.

Thanks again.
Ethan

Jeggs101

Dec 29, 2010
Thanks Patrick. I'm using VMWare ESXi.

I haven't tried STHbench. Can I set up a new VM and get script or do I need to install Ubuntu directly? Based on your comment, it sounds like E3-1200 v3 may be a safe approach. If I'm not mistaken, it has lower power consumption than X3440.

I run various VMs including SharePoint, MS SQL and such. I am not too worried about Linux servers but MS SQL and SharePoint VMs can require significant resources and C2750 may not cut it.

Thanks again.
Ethan
It isn't as accurate in a VM. Easier to just find an old spare dive, install Ubuntu and run it native since you also don't get the performance penalty of running in a VM.

els

Feb 15, 2014
Yeah, that's what I'm afraid of. I will look into it sometime this week. Thanks.

lmk

Dec 11, 2013
It isn't as accurate in a VM. Easier to just find an old spare dive, install Ubuntu and run it native since you also don't get the performance penalty of running in a VM.
I do not know what the STHbench requires, but would booting to a live CD help avoid having to find, connect, and install an OS to a spare local disk?

Last edited: