AVOID - 4U, 2x Node, 4x E5 V3/V4, 56x LFF SAS3 3.5" bay - $299 - CISCO UCS C3260

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

eduncan911

The New James Dean
Jul 27, 2015
eduncan911.com
Full caddy chassis price dropped to 500, unfortunately the shipment to Canada is 995 according to the seller
Did you contact the seller directly? They should be able to provide a FedEx/UPS quote instead of the flat rate Freight.

Speaking of freight, the default freight charges for these servers just doubled for me to the Northeast, at like $650 now. Wow.

Last edited:
Reactions: Samir

TTEG33

Apr 23, 2022
Did you contact the seller directly? They should be able to provide a FedEx/UPS quote instead of the flat rate Freight.

Speaking of freight, the default freight charges for these servers just doubled for me to the Northeast, at like $650 now. Wow.
Yeah its the seller quote, the ebay default shipping is 2400 lol

eduncan911

The New James Dean
Jul 27, 2015
eduncan911.com
Lol that's 5x more I paid in freight to ship my cast iron wood stove from the UK.

You could have them charge your UPS business account directly, which is my new preferred strategy. That way they can't do weird things with the numbers.
I don't recommend that. Yes, anyone can setup a ups or FedEx account. But as someone who used to do it it's not worth the losses.

The seller needs to be aware that they are loosing PayPal protections when they use someone else's shipping account. Basically, the shipping account on the label can "change the terms" and redirect packages, remove signature requirements, etc. This voids PayPal guarantees for the seller, as stated in PayPal terms the seller must use their own shipping account to qualify.

Also, it's up to you to file a claim about damaged goods - as it's your account. The Seller is off the hook, unless you can convince eBay that they purposely packaged it badly. After several claims I can tell you, I don't want anyone boxing and shipping something on my UPS account. They could wrap it in aluminum foil and it'll be shipped, and UPS will easily deny the claim due to improper packaging - denying you restitution and leaving you SOL.

Tip for others reading this: always always always take a dozen or so pics of the box as you found it on your porch, opening it, and pics of your goods all the way around. For heavy equipment like "network equipment" and "servers" (quoting as UPS and FedEx define these in claims!), UPS and FedEx requires "double boxing", which no one hardly does! If not properly packaged, they will easily deny claims.

Last edited:
  • Love

Slothstronaut

Apr 27, 2022
I just bought 2 of these servers with some extra drives, he was very easy to work with and does some good deals if you contact them directly. Shipping for 2 machines was about $500 to the midwest. They arrive tomorrow, so I will provide some updates with what they exactly are.

pcmantinker

Apr 23, 2022
I have been playing with mine for about a week and I nearly have everything configured. I'm just working out the 40GbE networking now to communicate with the box from another machine. The 1GbE port is for management only. I don't have a 40GbE switch so I am working on direct connect with a few other machines in my lab and attempting to setup DHCP on my DL380p G8 with a dual port ConnectX-3 40GbE card.

eduncan911

The New James Dean
Jul 27, 2015
eduncan911.com
I have been playing with mine for about a week and I nearly have everything configured. I'm just working out the 40GbE networking now to communicate with the box from another machine. The 1GbE port is for management only. I don't have a 40GbE switch so I am working on direct connect with a few other machines in my lab and attempting to setup DHCP on my DL380p G8 with a dual port ConnectX-3 40GbE card.
For those looking for an inexpensive Layer3 40Gbps switch, check out the Brocade ICX6610. I just picked one up for $110.

It's not silent, and pulls more than a light bulb of power, but it does have 4x 40 Gbps and 8x SPF+ (10G) ports, all unlocked for any transceiver.

It's actually the same price to go 40 Gbps now, instead of 10 Gbps. The price of the cards and switches are just like 0% to 5% more.

Last edited:

pcmantinker

Apr 23, 2022
Wow, the Brocade ICX6610 has the potential to replace my main switch! Nice to see that it supports 40Gb, 10Gb, and 1Gb all on one switch! Do you know if each area of the switch is on the same subnet? It would for sure make management much easier.

eduncan911

The New James Dean
Jul 27, 2015
eduncan911.com
Wow, the Brocade ICX6610 has the potential to replace my main switch! Nice to see that it supports 40Gb, 10Gb, and 1Gb all on one switch! Do you know if each area of the switch is on the same subnet? It would for sure make management much easier.
It's a full Layer 3 switch, aka "fully managed." You can configure the interfaces anyway you want (in enterprise managed switches, we don't call them "ports" but "interfaces"). By default they are all on a single subnet. Which means you can just plug everything in as-is and they will be on the same subnet like a regular unmanaged switch.

...which, btw, is not best practices in configuring Layer 3 switches for security. But I digress...

Last edited:

eduncan911

The New James Dean
Jul 27, 2015
eduncan911.com
I actually have like 4x or 5x ICX6610-24P that I need to get rid of at some point. Hate to ship them as I don't have boxes that large for something that flat and heavy. The idea was to setup a full fail-over stacked switches in a Home Lab / Home LAN to play with redundancy and partial outages on the home network. Never got around to it, as I don't have time for those kind of funies!

Well, that and I started to gain more and more 40 Gbps QSFP+ devices. I now have an ICX7750-26Q that I stole, and really want to try out... 26x QSFP+ ports! But, I have no idea of the noise/power draw for such a beast.

pcmantinker

Apr 23, 2022
I actually have like 4x or 5x ICX6610-24P that I need to get rid of at some point. Hate to ship them as I don't have boxes that large for something that flat and heavy. The idea was to setup a full fail-over stacked switches in a Home Lab / Home LAN to play with redundancy and partial outages on the home network. Never got around to it, as I don't have time for those kind of funies!

Well, that and I started to gain more and more 40 Gbps QSFP+ devices. I now have an ICX7750-26Q that I stole, and really want to try out... 26x QSFP+ ports! But, I have no idea of the noise/power draw for such a beast.
Have you been successful with getting a connection to your Cisco box over 40Gbe? I am waiting on my Brocade ICX6610-48P to arrive, but I've been attempting direct connect with Linux. Is there anything that is needed for the links to go online? I've configured both ports on my DL380p G8 as Ethernet, but they are both down on the Cisco side. Can you set a static IP from the Cisco side? Or does it require DHCP?

eduncan911

The New James Dean
Jul 27, 2015
eduncan911.com
Have you been successful with getting a connection to your Cisco box over 40Gbe? I am waiting on my Brocade ICX6610-48P to arrive, but I've been attempting direct connect with Linux. Is there anything that is needed for the links to go online? I've configured both ports on my DL380p G8 as Ethernet, but they are both down on the Cisco side. Can you set a static IP from the Cisco side? Or does it require DHCP?
I don't have any of these machines, unfortunately. Was asking if someone wanted to sponsor a review, but didn't get any takers this time. It would have answered a lot of these questions so there's no surprises.

This is poised to be the next big DataHoarder box, over the SC846/SC847/Chenbro 4U users!

Anyhoot... There shouldn't be any special configuration: it's just a NIC. You plug two in, you get a link. You configure the NICs like a y old nic in Linux. However, being Cisco, they may have some special drivers or activation commands needed. They may even have licensing requirements for 40G over 10G or something.

markarr

Oct 31, 2013
If your making a direct connection via a twinax cable you may have compatibility issues. Not sure about HP but cisco doesn't always play nice with non cisco sfp/qsfp.

markarr

Oct 31, 2013
It might work for the cisco and then it might not work for the HP side, switches typically don't mind. Direct connect sometimes is best via fiber so you can get compatible adapters for both sides. I may also be wrong, I dont have any HP equipment to test. I know good chunk of cisco will throw a fit at stuff that isn't cisco or at least programed to work with cisco.

pcmantinker

Apr 23, 2022
It might work for the cisco and then it might not work for the HP side, switches typically don't mind. Direct connect sometimes is best via fiber so you can get compatible adapters for both sides. I may also be wrong, I dont have any HP equipment to test. I know good chunk of cisco will throw a fit at stuff that isn't cisco or at least programed to work with cisco.
Luckily, it's just a Mellanox ConnectX-3 40Gb/56Gb Infinband/Ethernet card on the HP side of things. It's not proprietary to HP. I ordered a pair of the "Cisco" compatible cables and will report back on compatibility. I do have a Brocade switch on the way too so that should help.