Avago MegaRaid 9361-16i recognized but stops working

Discussion in 'RAID Controllers and Host Bus Adapters' started by Beaver, Nov 1, 2019.

1. Beaver

Beaver New Member

Hi,

I've got this card from eBay, it's from Oracle, don't know if branded, but the sticker says so. Tried two different boards and every pcie slot.

On boot it's recognized and initializes, heartbeat led is blinking (I think that's ok?), if I try to get into bios with "ctrl+r" it freezes most of the time. Sometimes I get in but it then freezes within 0.5 to 10 seconds.

If I let the OS load there's no problem at all, until I install the driver. In Windows (tried 10 and 2012r2) it than gets a "Code 10" error and it freezes (heartbeat led stops blinking).

Tried an older linux instead, it is recognized via "lspci" but with driverinstallation it freezes also.

Tried so far, storcli, megacli, LSI PrebootIso (there was a recoveryoption), nothing worked everything gets to "No Controller found" although the heartbeat stays in blinking mode sometimes.

Is there some kind of Preinitialisation flashing possibility? Maybe there was just a flashproblem before or some hardware fault?

Thanks in advance

2. BLinux

BLinux cat lover server enthusiast

in my experience:

1) the card is dying, or
    2) there's some incompatibility issue between your motherboard BIOS and the LSI BIOS ROM and when it loads during POST, it can cause the card to behave in ways similar to what you describe.

a couple of things you can try:

A) remove the LSI BIOS ROM entirely so it doesn't load during POST, or disable Option ROM on the PCIe slot. if the problem goes away with this, then #2 is likely the cause. I've seen this type of issue with some HP servers and LSI cards pretty frequently, and to a lesser degree some other brand motherboards.
    B) try installing the card in another PC with a different brand motherboard... does the problem follow the card to the other system? if not, probably #2 again. if so, likely #1 is the issue.

3. Beaver

Beaver New Member

Hi,

I've tried two different consumer boards, on both the situation is nearly the same.

I'll get a SM board the next week and will check what happens there.

But I also think the card is already dead, as I mentioned it seems like a firmware or memory failure.

I'll get back here, if I have new information with the SM board.

4. BLinux

BLinux cat lover server enthusiast

then most likely, the LSI card is going bad... can you return it?

5. Beaver

Beaver New Member

No I can't, but that's no problem, I have not payed anything, I saved it from destruction, just to try and see if there is something I can repair.