auto znapshot not working openindina

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

carlbrun

Dec 16, 2019
Having problem with autosnap
it saying they working and doing but when check to see the snapshot there nothing
another problem is i've made a few autosnap jobs and can not see to be able to delete them

so were do i look to see why it not working when it think it is
thanks

gea

Dec 31, 2010
DE
Is this the autosnap/timeslider functionality in OpenIndiana or an autosnap job in napp-it.

Which OpenIndiana

If napp-it, which version.
Can you update to a most recent version and try to start/delete a job.

carlbrun

Dec 16, 2019
hipster 2019.10 as a server so no gui
napp-it is 19.10 homeuser
so on the latest auto job is turn on and seem to work but the log show a snap the time but nothing in info and when you do
zfs list -t snapshot show nothing. plus as i said in nap-t i click job delete but it seem to do somthing but the job is still there

so were should i start to look at to see what going on

gea

Dec 31, 2010
DE
The point that you cannot delete a snap-job indicates a problem with your OpenIndiana. I will check this.

OpenIndiana Hipster is quite critical regarding updates as it always jumps to newest Illumos with the possiblity of major changes. The releases like 2019.10 are only snapshots of Illumos development and a pkg update always gibe very newest bits. This is different to the OmniOS concept of stable/long term stable releases where new behaviours are only to be expected on release updates not security updates.

update
I have tested napp-it 19.10 homeedition on Hipster (december 2019). I was able to create a snapjob, enable auto-services (Jobs > Autoservice > enable 1min) and the job creates snaps. Also a job delete worked.

I then made an update (pkg update) to newest january Illumos and it still works.

can you start (at console ex via Putty where you can copy paste with a mouse rightclick)
perl /var/web-gui/data/napp-it/zfsos/_lib/scripts/auto.pl

and
perl /var/web-gui/data/napp-it/zfsos/_lib/scripts/job-snap.pl

Last edited:

carlbrun

Dec 16, 2019
have run both command and they just come back blank

i have check and perl is Perl 5 version 22 subversion 4

carlbrun

Dec 16, 2019
yes autoservice are on set to 5mins
and as i say it think to done but no infomation or znap are show
upload_2020-1-21_20-43-19.png
i forgot to say the top one of the three i want, the other two i want to delete but it does not

gea

Dec 31, 2010
DE
Quite unclear as it works with my setup and same OS/napp-it

Can you try
- create a snap manually (Snapshots > Create) of the first filesystem. Does this work (or notex due a readonly filesystem)
- Is this problem new (has it worked earlier). Any action in between.
- Have you copied napp-it files manually
- Any other hint

To manually delete a job, goto /var/web-gui/_log/jobs and delete the files with the jobid

carlbrun

Dec 16, 2019
1) manually doing snapshot is fine and working from napp-it or cmd
2) from day one of installing napp-it, it not worked for autosnap
3) install using the wget -O - www.napp-it.org/nappit | perl then after did a update to the version it on

this setup was a new install of openindina then mount old data set /tank from a old xstreamos, which napp-it does not install on.
then i install napp-it doing wget as root not as the user. the mounts have nfs share and smb share

thanks for the manually delete that worked.

gea

Dec 31, 2010
DE
I have tried
- install OI 2019.10 from iso
- install napp-it (18.12 free)

- create an autosnap job, start (snap created) and job delete: worked

- update napp-it to 19.10 homeuse
- create an autosnap job, start (snap created) and job delete: worked as well

Only known problem with an initial OpenIndiana 19.10 setup (compared to an update) is a different compiler setting. This for example hinders menu User to work (Tty.io error). To make this working again, you must add a symbolic link or rerun the napp-it installer - but this should not affect your problem, see napp-it // webbased ZFS NAS/SAN appliance for OmniOS, OpenIndiana and Solaris : OpenIndiana

carlbrun

Dec 16, 2019
that nice to know but does not help me
seem i have to give up on napp-it. was hoping to sell this with the stuff that i sell but as it does not work i have to drop it
did not have this problem 5 years ago when i test and the company i worked for use to sell.

gea

Dec 31, 2010
DE
You may try a clean reinstall as well (OI 19.10 text + napp-it per wget installer).

btw.
If this is a production storage server, I would advise against OpenIndiana and use OmniOS where you have a frozen stable/long term stable with only security fixes between releases. On OpenIndiana you always get the very newest Illumos development state after a pkg update what can change system behaviours and environments from now to then without notice.

An OI iso like 19.10 is not a release but a snapshot of current Illumos state. When it comes out and you do a pkg update two days later you may receive a complete new Illumos feature set that may require an update of applications.

carlbrun

Dec 16, 2019
the problem is omnios is good but i want to test openindiana which had new zfs feature
the problem i had i could not get omnios os to work from usb disk at the time when openindiana did work

i may give it a try again later but right now am about to test a new version of xstreamos so will not need napp-it

i dont like the idea the only fix is a clean install as that is silly and for somestuff you can not do that with customer system once they running lol
even my system i have to do at night as i run a few vm that customer use

anyway i've look some more to see why it not working and try to fix so if other people have problem they could fix if it happen

gea

Dec 31, 2010
DE
If this would be a customer's setup under support, I would suggest a clean install as well as this should lead to a working server within less than 30 minutes in a straight forward method while bugfinding lasts now days if the reason is as unclear as here.

btw
if you do not need a web-ui you can just disable napp-it on OI.
OmniOS and OI share the same Illumos + Open-ZFS features. Very newest Illumos is in OmniOS bloody, the development edition (like is in OI).

And
As you use the very newest development Illumos tree, you may be the first to find a problem.

carlbrun

Dec 16, 2019
no it did not take 30mins it took like 2 hours to setup everything correct.
with out napp-it

anyway am not bother now am not going to use or even say to my customer to use so am sorry about this.

carlbrun

Dec 16, 2019
well i found the problem
perl /var/web-gui/data/napp-it//zfsos//_lib/scripts/job-snap.pl run_1576773585
keep=4
hold=0
delzero=no
sudo: PAM account management error: Permission denied
zfs=Tank/virtual/ZFS-SOLUTION not available

never seen that so not sure but i will see

gea

Dec 31, 2010
DE
The napp-it installer configures sudo and pam settings as napp-it requires administrator permissions for zfs and zpool commands. Propably you have edited /etc/sudoers, /etc/pam.conf or /etc/user_attr manually.

carlbrun

Dec 16, 2019
no not touch any of them
but going to now to see what is wrong
can you tell me what you /etc/user_attr say for napp-it
mine is napp-it::::type=normal;profiles=Primary Administrator
so it may be this is wrong

gea

Dec 31, 2010
DE
I would first look at /etc/sudoers as the job execution complains about sudo. The user_attr setting is default and not relevant for sudo commands.

carlbrun

Dec 16, 2019
## Read drop-in files from /etc/sudoers.d
## (the '#' here does not indicate a comment)
# includedir /etc/sudoers.d
cbadmin ALL=(ALL) ALL
napp-it ALL=(root) NOPASSWD: ALL