Auto disconnect for specific users on Windows Server 2022

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

EJA

May 24, 2023
Hello, we have one tower server that runs windows server 2022 and everyone RDPs in with their own account and they should disconnect after 5 minutes of inactivity. Except for one user that is in the control room and that should not disconnect. I tried using local policy but you can't exclude a user from it and I tried computer management -> users -> session idle log off time but it was inconsistent. I also looked into using GPO but group policy like that is for multiple computers under a domain which is not the case for this. Help on this would be appreciated. I just want all users except one to auto disconnect after 5 minutes on inactivity on their RDP.

I've been trying to figure this out for the longest time, you'd be my hero if you knew how to do this

Last edited:

EJA

May 24, 2023
use powershell and the query session command. run it on a schedule.

Here is an example of getting the data...

Chris

Hello, I appreciate the suggestion. I want to just disconnect the user, not log them off. My bad, I'll edit the question