ATX-sized IPMI motherboard

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Chuckleb

Mar 5, 2013
Minnesota
I have a workbench that I use to do drive recovery, data migrations, component testing, etc... was looking for a new affordable motherboard suggestions. It's mounted in one of the open chassis systems, I think this one [link] which can take up to an ATX board. I've been using desktop boards but would really like an IPMI board with KVM since my little Lantronix Spider KVM units died.

I have spare L5520 cpus and memory, so that would be ideal, but anything is fine. Anyone have any suggestions? Low-ish power is nice, under $120 eBay pricing is nice. Trying to figure out what getting off my lazy butt and walking 150' is worth. Maybe $/foot ;)

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010

MiniKnight

Mar 30, 2012
NYC
Why not AMT Patrick? I'd guess because you'd basically need VNC Viewer Plus for vPro and that's $90/ user by itself?

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
Probably because AMT requires Sandy Bridge or newer CPUs with embedded graphics to do remove KVM?

They guy is specifically asking for a solution to use with his existing L5520 (LGA1366) CPU.

Chuckleb

Mar 5, 2013
Minnesota
Actually I am open to any ideas, just keeping the cost down. I have never used or looked into AMT so it is nice to hear about other OOB tech and to see costs and availability.

Sounds like additional costs for AMT.

Thanks for feedback so far!

Mike

May 29, 2012
EU
Probably because AMT doesn't require Sandy Bridge or newer CPUs with embedded graphics to do remote KVM. Almost every Q series chipset enables vpro 6.0, going back to <Q35? Also the question isn't specifically asking for a solution that fits the L5520.
Also, I don't see why a VNC plus license would be required.

Last edited:

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
AMT with KVM access most certainly does require embedded Intel graphics on the CPU. Earlier versions of AMT only provide control access, etc. If you want remote KVM you need embedded graphics. No embedded graphics -> no KVM.

VNC Plus license is required because VNC Plus is the only supported remote KVM viewer. Unlike IPMI, AMT does not support a Java client for KVM.

His question most certainly did list that he had CPU and Ram and wanted a solution @ $120 or less. If you can find a way to get him LP-CPU, Ram and Motherboard with vPRO AMT for less than his price bogey I guess you've got a solution. I'm not real familiar with what that config would be (but there are definitely ways to get the LGA1366 MB with IPMI at that price point - examples include the HP DL180 G6 motherboards that were recently available at $35 on ebay).

Chuckleb

Mar 5, 2013
Minnesota
Took Patrick's advice and shopped for a Supermicro board. Got one for $120, thanks for the thoughts. The G6 systems were what got me thinking about doing this, but after hearing about all the troubles getting that to work outside of the chassis, etc... decided to just get advice first.

Supermicro X8DTL-3F

OBasel

Dec 28, 2010
I think that one is going to be bigger than ATX and you'll need a CR2032! (or some similar battery it takes not sure from pic)

Chuckleb

Mar 5, 2013
Minnesota
Hrm, according to the Supermicro website, that's an ATX form factor (12"x10"). I don't mind the battery part (I have lots of button cell batteries around). The only part that I just realized that I may be missing would be the CPU heatsinks. Don't need the I/O shield. I assume the heatsinks should be easy to find, if not standard socket size.

Ahh, second battery is for i-Button which seems to be a battery-backed cache for the SAS port. Who knew these had that. Well don't need.

Last edited:

Chuckleb

Mar 5, 2013
Minnesota
Just wanted to update. Board came in, didn't need the second battery as that was for the SAS card. Works great, has a ton of SATA ports on it. Tried to use two Dynatron G985 fans on it, this does not work. The fans hit each other so I am just using a single CPU for now. Wanted active cooling since it's not in a case, though the 60W CPUs are nice. Board was bought best offer for $120 so good deal.

Makes a great drive copying/data recovery/card test/benchmarking workbench machine.