Atom Bay Trail dying because of LPC bus design flaw?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

mattlongman

Jul 12, 2018
Thanks for the update. I’m considering the J4105 too so your notes are super helpful. Pardon my ignorance, but what exactly is CSM and how does this CPU/board differ from the J3455 in this regard?
CSM is Compatibility Support Module. I think it basically emulates BIOS from UEFI, so allows booting to older/legacy devices. J3455M has CSM, so I could enable it and boot from my RAID controller, but no such option on the J4105M.

I read somewhere that there seems to be the same lack of option on the J4105-ITX, but can't find where I read that to confirm.

EffrafaxOfWug

Radioactive Member
Feb 12, 2015
the big issue I found is that there's no option anywhere for CSM. I believe it should be there according to the spec, but neither the v1.00 or v1.30 firmware shows it.
Probably merits discussion in another thread, but from a quick shufti through the J4105 manual there's no sign of a CSM being available on this board, whereas its predecessor has it listed at the bottom of the boot screen. Lots of these "Win 10 compliant" boards are dropping the CSM these days (indeed, I was very disappointed that my Supermicro C3000 doesn't have a CSM either as that too makes booting a pain [linux mdadm software RAID in my case]). Possibly this is a limitation imposed from the top down, as intel says they want BIOS dead by 2020.

Which RAID card are you using that doesn't show as a UEFI boot entry though, I assume an old one? I don't use them at home but I don't think I've seen a RAID/HBA card at work in at least the last 5yrs that didn't present itself as a UEFI boot entry. I've seen some BIOSes (example pic here) with switches to force a UEFI ROM before a regular BIOS option ROM but again that doesn't look to be available on the J4105.

mattlongman

Jul 12, 2018
but from a quick shufti through the J4105 manual there's no sign of a CSM being available on this board, whereas its predecessor has it listed at the bottom of the boot screen
ah yes, you're right. Getting my info mixed up - found on another thread: Query for MOD add bios CSM mode (LEGACY support) - looks like it should be there, but is hidden (almost like they're testing the water with the option of releasing an update to include it later on?).

I'm using a Syba SI-PEX40057 (Marvell 88SE9230) - initially started using these because they're affordable, but having had 4 now, I'd pick it is because they've been so solid (never had any issues) and there's a version of the Marvell Windows utility available for Server 2016.

Yes, maybe best to continue on different thread - slightly off topic here.

EffrafaxOfWug

Radioactive Member
Feb 12, 2015
Oddly enough there's a FAQ entry on the ASRock page regarding UEFI boot from the 9230 chips, about 2/3 of the way down;
ASRock Rack > Support

Their fix seems to mention using a special UEFI boot to configure the RAID, although I've no idea whether this is akin to your present situation.

Edit: looking in the zip file, there's both the 32 and 64bit EFI boot shells/utils (ui32.efi and ui64.efi) and there's also what looks to be a firmware update to the marvel chip (uefi64.bin). It's not mentioned in the instructions but possible your Syba cards might need a firmware upgrade to do EFI boot properly.

Last edited: