At wits end with Mellanox Connect-x3 windows 10, no valid ip config

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Alitech

Feb 14, 2020
A sine sunny day, this nic desicded to assign itself IPs outside the network and does not connect to the DHCP anymore. Even after manually assigning an IP address, it does not connect. I dont know what caused this or how to fix this. I have reinstalled the Connect X 3 VPI drivers and also reset network settings a number of times but no joy. It keep getting stuck at identifying network.

Does anyone have any insight into why this is happening?

Have a look at the IP address it assigns itself. My range is between 192.168.1.2 to 240 and the subnet mask is bonkers.

1620781763189.png

Even after manually assigning an IP, it still is stuck at identifying network.

I have release the leases with cmd and also flushed DNS a few times but no joy.

I have messed around with the adapter settings and also removed the device from device manager a number of times but it just does not work.

It was working fine just a few days ago and now this.

Any help would be much appreciated. It does not seem to be the nic, its a windows setting somewhere from what I can see

1620781952401.png

Layla

Game Engine Developer
Jun 21, 2016
There are a lot of things it could be. Did it switch to Infiniband mode? (IPoIB)? Did it accidentally end up on a vlan other than the one you intended? Have you cold rebooted?

It looks like it has a link but is not talking to a network (no dchp, no broadcast, etc) - it's received 0 packets back. Most likely something is misconfigured. But again so many different ways it could end up having these symptoms. Is the rest of your network behaving? What's the topology?

Start sniffing ARP and IP packets?

If you have an enterprise switch, did you configure the switch, but forget to write the changes to nvram, and then have a power cycle recently?

Alitech

Feb 14, 2020
HI Layla

Thanks so much for your reply. Here is the config for the areas you asked me to check

1620789016758.png
1620789041032.png

1620789094176.png
1620789117063.png

Nothing was changed on the switch. It is a brocade switch but has not been touched for over a year.

Alitech

Feb 14, 2020
Just to add, this is my primary nic on the PC. I also have a built in 1GB intel nic on the motherboard which I only use for WOL. This is for everything else.

Sean Ho

seanho.com
Nov 19, 2019
Vancouver, BC
seanho.com
I assume this is an SFP+ CX311/312? What switch? Connected via DAC, or something else? Blinky lights on either end? What does the switch CLI say about link status on that port? You say it's been working at 10GbE for a year now and randomly died? Was any work done near the cables? SFP+ perhaps got pulled out slightly? DACs can also die; some of those thick Cisco ones look beefy but are actually flimsy.

That IP is a link-local address which indicates Windows was unable to get a DHCP lease. You can check your DHCP server to see if it received a request from the NIC's MAC, but I'm guessing it did not.

Reactions: Alitech

Alitech

Feb 14, 2020
You were right, something to do with the switch. Had to pull the power out of that sucker to get it to reload. It was super slow!