At a crossroads...

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

HeBeCB

Dec 5, 2014
My latest DIY is now several years old. Picked up a nice case off here with a few LSIs and was pretty happy while it was in my garage. I made one mistake and got a non-quicksync xeon-e3. It's been a good machine... did a bunch of docker experimentation (after a brief excursion with esxi). I'm quite comfortable on Linux and have been happily running ZFS for Ubuntu & Docker stuff and Snapraid/Merger FS for the media.

These days it's sitting in a home office (we moved and this is a temporary situation while we house hunt) and is generally turned off because it's a bit noisy. I'm starting to eye a synology (1019+) right now as a replacement. Because (a) I have less time to spend on this hobby (b) it's quieter (c) the 1019+ comes with a CPU with quicksync. The cost of getting an quicksync for my LGA1150 seems a bit high (ebay didn't show anything in Canada... I live in BC now).

Curious if anyone has transitioned from a DIY to one of these units and been satisfied.

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
You can get E3-1270 V3 for <$100 now and motherboards <$100 too. You won't find a synology near this performance for the cost to upgrade.

For your media\storage it may be fine, but for docker and other 'stuff' it will be very very slow compared to E3 V3.

I've had a couple Synology and went to my own E5 V3, then E3 V3, and now to 9100F and the 9100F still smokes the synology and only expensive part there is the motherboard and newer RAM but it should work great for you too, just depends what you're after :) to use it for.

HeBeCB

Dec 5, 2014
1270 doesn't have quicksync.... only the XXX5 (and I think XXX6) variants do AFAIK. If I can stick in the LGA1150 series I keep the motherboard (not to mentioned the ECC sticks)

T_Minus

Feb 15, 2015
That was just an example of cheap V3s.

Here's one with quicksync for $72, also a lower power CPU too. But still more power than the synology systems, unless you're getting an expensive one :D

HeBeCB

Dec 5, 2014
Yeah problem is... getting stuff across the border is a PITA right now... not sure what the duty on that would be (probably not too bad). Still doesn't address the noise issue but I should look at quieter fans... don't have a good option for a different room right now.

T_Minus

Feb 15, 2015
What case did you get? What fans does it have now? How many drives do you have now?

WIthout any other info I'm just guessing but I assume the fans are to move air for your HDD only as those generation CPUs aren't in need of lots of air flow outside the near silent HSF.

BlueFox

Legendary Member Spam Hunter Extraordinaire
Oct 26, 2015
Used to run a 4U 24 bay Supermicro chassis at home and switched to Synology (DS2415+ and now a DS2419+). I've been pretty happy with the move (much higher spousal approval factor too). Would go back to DIY if there was anything similar in terms of form factor and looks, but I have no regrets about it, even with the somewhat higher cost.

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
Synology and maybe a small NUC or similar if you need some more compute power for something. (Storage off you NAS via NFS, CIFS, iSCSi if you need or want)
Synology or qnap also have functions to allow backup of M365 data or the other way around in form of backup to cloud.

it’s a nice simple easy setup that’s small , Low power, quiet.

HeBeCB

Dec 5, 2014
The case is filled with 4 of these: iStarUSA BPN-DE350SS and I think i have 12 of the 20 bays in use. They are pretty noisy. The only thing i'd need compute for on the box these days would be for Plex and Emby (maybe some photo management stuff too). I do my docker/vm experimentation on other machines these days.

I know I can upgrade the CPU and quiet down the fans a bit and honestly i'd prefer to do that since I'd feel bad about getting rid of the box. Really this was more a question about how someone who is a bit of a "power user" who is used to being able control the nuts and bolts felt about going to a more "turn key" solution like synology.