Asymmetrical ovirt cluster

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

mgiammarco

Jan 6, 2015
Hello,
I would like to build an asymmetrical ovirt cluster:
- one server with low idle power on 24h/24
- one server with more power that will be powered up by ovirt when needed

So I need:
- absolutely IPMI support
- ecc ram
- no disks (I will use a nas for now)
- one server with low idle power (ideally less than 20W, not more than 50w)
- one server with may core and more ram (if possible less than 80-100w idle power)

The servers must have same cpu brand: or Intel or Amd
I can build them but I prefer buy them. If they are refurbished is the same because I do not want to spend too much.
I am asking for some hints of where to start!
Thanks in advance for any help,
Mario

Mike

May 29, 2012
EU
Without knowing your loads I will be an ass and propose you get one server, suiting your powerful description. The last few generations of single socket servers could close in on 20w and are quite powerful.

mgiammarco

Jan 6, 2015
Without knowing your loads I will be an ass and propose you get one server, suiting your powerful description. The last few generations of single socket servers could close in on 20w and are quite powerful.
It is a test lab that I use as a java developer. On the night I must keep on few vm (opennms, ldap, splunk...). In the day I run also several vm with tomcat, jboss, eclipse.
I have no full time load, but I know that java uses all cpu cores I have.

OBasel

Dec 28, 2010
Would getting an Atom C2550, C2558, C2750 or C2758 for always on, then a E3 or E5 work for your cluster? I know there are some things the Atom's don't have but they're great always on.

mgiammarco

Jan 6, 2015
Thank you for reply but I see I need to explain better my needs. I am pretty sure that atom+E3/5 is a good solution but: which motherboard? Which psu?
In the past I have bought some low power motherboards but with my psu used too much power.

So I am asking for a something that people in this forum are really using.

So an example like:

- buy an atom motherboard of brand X with psu Y and chassis Z
- buy an used c6100 on ebay

My budget is "as low as possible". If I find a branded server even refurbished I am ok. But low power (and low noise! I have no dedicated room I have an open space).

Thanks again!

Mario

Kahanho0

Jan 16, 2015
Ever consider using Xpenology? You can run Plex and camera record right from there in ESXi. I don't know if it has owncloud or homeseer but that would be easy to have for VMs.

Where are you getting the 256TB SSDs btw !!!! :D I'm reading those as GB

mgiammarco

Jan 6, 2015
Ever consider using Xpenology? You can run Plex and camera record right from there in ESXi. I don't know if it has owncloud or homeseer but that would be easy to have for VMs.

Where are you getting the 256TB SSDs btw !!!! :D I'm reading those as GB
Wrong thread?

NeverDie

Jan 28, 2015
USA
Hello,
I would like to build an asymmetrical ovirt cluster:
- one server with low idle power on 24h/24
- one server with more power that will be powered up by ovirt when needed

So I need:
- absolutely IPMI support
- ecc ram
- no disks (I will use a nas for now)
- one server with low idle power (ideally less than 20W, not more than 50w)
- one server with may core and more ram (if possible less than 80-100w idle power)

The servers must have same cpu brand: or Intel or Amd
I can build them but I prefer buy them. If they are refurbished is the same because I do not want to spend too much.
I am asking for some hints of where to start!
Thanks in advance for any help,
Mario
Mario,
What did you end up picking, and were you satisfied with ovirt for setting up the symmetrical cluster?