ASUS Z10PE-D8 WS problems with 2x E5 2698 V4 ES CPU QHUZ

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Panamax

Nov 27, 2016
Good day...

i am trying to build a 2x CPU setup with below mentioned Hardware installed in a test rig:

Asus Z10PE-D8 WS Bios version 3304
2x QHUZ 2.0Ghz 20 Core ES2 cpu´s.
2x Noctua CPU coolers
1x GTX770 4Gb
4x Crucial / Micron modules (ct2k16G4RFD4213) 1GB DDR4 - 2133 RDIMM 1,2V CL15

before the dual CPU build i have build a rig with the same RAM and same CPU´s (of course only one CPU at a time) on a Supermicro x10SRAF board without any problems, so it can be assumed that the RAM and CPU´s are generally ok...

i have installed the GPU on PCI1 and the 4 RAM modules according to the manual.
I also have installed only 2 RAM Modules and have had same problems
I also have swapped CPU0 with CPU1 with same problems
I also have swapped GPU slot positions with same problems

i was able to make a win10 installation and boot into the OS, i tested Cinebench and reach around 4200+ points. However the system is running not stable and barely stays on longer than 5-10 minutes. it crashes and sometimes the win10 error screen appears with code WHEA UNCORRECTABLE ERROR, sometimes it crashes before it can show something.

if i want to restart then, the board does not reboot, gets stuck mostly on code 91 or 87 and shows the red catastrophic error LED. if i keep it off for 20-30 minutes i can start again, but again only for very limited time before the above mentioned happens again.

i have further tried to start from a Ubuntu 16 USB drive and was able to boot into it, here i had the screen flashing wildly and crashing within 30 seconds, again with the catastrophic error LED on and again it won't boot until it settles for 20-30 minutes...

i was able to start HWinfo64 to look around and made some screenshots that you can find attached FYI...

I have read many times that the Asus dual CPU boards are very tricky and i already have experienced the bad service from them so i really hope the wise people here in the forum can give me a helping hand.

For your further information, this is already the second Z10PE-D8 WS board, since i RMA´d the first one presenting exactly the same trouble as above described...

Thank you for your assistance!
Have a great day!
Max

Attachments

zedascuras

Feb 15, 2015
Hi,

Hum Asus motherboard and two Intel ES....that could be the reason. Are on the latest bios on the board?

Panamax

Nov 27, 2016
yes i am on the latest BIOS 3304. i know people that have the same board running on ES CPU´s (though others) without my problems

William

May 7, 2015
Not all ES CPU's are created equal, it very well could be those chips.
Are the RAM sticks noted on ASUS Memory QVL list ?

I am running the Z10PE-D16 WS, 2x E5-2699 V3 ES (from Intel), 256GB Crucial 16GB sticks as my main rig... no issues.
I have a set of E5-2699 V4 ES chips here that are running on a SM board, haven't tried them on the ASUS board.

These dual socket ASUS boards can be picky tho.

Toysrme

Aug 16, 2016
I ran two on Z10PE-D16 WS
E5-2698v4
Crucial ddr4-2400 ecc rdimm

The boot loop problem I had eventually traced to a common error many ASUS boards have when mixing very old style, but USB 2.0 compliment devices with the board set to allow USB 3.0.

As soon as I changed a few USB related flags in the UEFI it ran great for months.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

William

May 7, 2015
Oh yes I forgot about USB issues.

I had that problem with Saitek keyboard/mouse and joysticks. I just could not get the software to install until I did that.

Panamax

Nov 27, 2016
i tested yesterday again the board with my Ubuntu USB Drive and this time it was fairly stable. i had it run about an hour with several tests like geek bench etc... and did not had any major issues... i shut down the OS normal and once everything was off tried to reboot... again getting stuck in ErrorCode 87 and catastrophic Error LED on...

Here the geek bench results:
ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. Z10PE-D8 WS - Geekbench Browser

and some more pictures

Attachments

Panamax

Nov 27, 2016
thank you william, but all the scores do not help me if the system does what it wants.. any idea regarding the USB settings?

Last edited:

William

May 7, 2015
Honestly I do not remember, I beat my head around that issue for a long time, than I did something one day and it worked and I just moved forward. It did not keep the rig from running, I just could not install software for my keyboard/mouse and use keyboard/mouse macros etc. The keyboard/mouse worked just fine, just no features until that day.

That problem was specific to Saitek devices, another ROCCAT Kone XTD worked just fine.

Toysrme

Aug 16, 2016

These first four options cured my error 71 boot loop caused by USB compatibility issue with windows.

Happens to a lot of asus boards for years if you google error 71 and sift through results

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: William

Panamax

Nov 27, 2016
Thank you for sharing your bios setup.. however there was no way i could convince the 20 core QHUZ to work well with my asus motherboard as of now... not in single CPU not in double, not in switching cpus fro the sockets etc... however the CPU´s work fine on my super micro single cpu X10SRAF board... i had a 8core 2,9ghz E5 2667V4 (QHVD) CPU laying around and with this CPU the ASUS board works flawless... i ordered a second QHVD Chip, to see if this will finally make my dual CPU build work.

i am planing to use the Build for Video and Photo editing works and the extra cpu speed should give me a benefit, since much of my software won't deploy all the cores anyway....

for those who are interested i made some more benchmarks with the different CPU´s:

ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. Z10PE-D8 WS - Geekbench Browser (QHVD single 8core)
ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. Z10PE-D8 WS - Geekbench Browser (QHUZ single 20core)
ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. Z10PE-D8 WS - Geekbench Browser ((QHUZ dual 20core)

once my second CPU arrives and everything is working fine i finally will try to make it a hackintosh build, thats what i am using my 20core already on the super micro board...

I now have one 20core QHUZ chip useless laying around, if anybody would have a use case for it let me know :)

Thanks for your help!
...Max

Reactions: William

Dariusz

Jul 16, 2016
Thank you for sharing your bios setup.. however there was no way i could convince the 20 core QHUZ to work well with my asus motherboard as of now... not in single CPU not in double, not in switching cpus fro the sockets etc... however the CPU´s work fine on my super micro single cpu X10SRAF board... i had a 8core 2,9ghz E5 2667V4 (QHVD) CPU laying around and with this CPU the ASUS board works flawless... i ordered a second QHVD Chip, to see if this will finally make my dual CPU build work.

i am planing to use the Build for Video and Photo editing works and the extra cpu speed should give me a benefit, since much of my software won't deploy all the cores anyway....

for those who are interested i made some more benchmarks with the different CPU´s:

ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. Z10PE-D8 WS - Geekbench Browser (QHVD single 8core)
ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. Z10PE-D8 WS - Geekbench Browser (QHUZ single 20core)
ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. Z10PE-D8 WS - Geekbench Browser ((QHUZ dual 20core)

once my second CPU arrives and everything is working fine i finally will try to make it a hackintosh build, thats what i am using my 20core already on the super micro board...

I now have one 20core QHUZ chip useless laying around, if anybody would have a use case for it let me know :)

Thanks for your help!
...Max
Hey
Do you still have that QHUZ around? I was thinking of getting dual 20 core and the same motherbaord for render node. Did it work it all well for u at the end?

Panamax

Nov 27, 2016
Yes i now have two QHUZ and two QHVD´s around...

The 8 core QHVD´s work flawless with the asus board...
The 20 core QHUZ do not work with the asus board and make nothing else than headache :) however each single of them run just perfect on my single CPU super micro board...

i now use the two QHVD´s on the asus board and one QHUZ on the super micro... if anybody is interested in the QHUZ let me know, i have it laying around without any use...

Have a nice day!

Dariusz

Jul 16, 2016
Oh so the QHUZ ones don't work in dual configuration, I wonder if its normal or just ur luck :- (.

You based in US ?

Panamax

Nov 27, 2016
i believe its just the ASUS board that is especially picky ;) also here Trouble with ES Xeon
is described the very same problems with other ES versions on another asus board... my error is the same, no matter if i run it with one or 2 cpu´s.

I live in Germany and Panama but can ship internationally if required (from germany, where i will fly next week again)

Just send ma a PM

Nathan_P

Apr 23, 2013
I had issues ages ago with pair of Ivy bridge based xeon's not liking USB 3 on my Z9PA. I ended up turning off usb 3 completely in the bios and that would allow me to boot and run without problems. You could also be hitting problems with a couple of the oprom's, especially storage and nic ones. I ended up turning all these offas well.

I know its an older board than yours but the issue may be the same

Rapturoso

Jan 22, 2017
No problems with my Dual Xeon E5 2630v4 QK3G R0 stepping ES2 (identical to retail but showing as 0000 ES samples) with Asus Z10PE-D8 WS BIOS 3204 UEFI boot Windows 10 Pro, no USB issues. Maybe try this BIOS.