ASUS Z10PA-D8 - Dual Socket 2011-3

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

JanCerny

Nov 25, 2017
Czech Republic
Good to see that he adequately responded and helped you the best way he could.

Do you remember where you read about "1.8v vcore" related to E5 v3 Xeons?
Actually, it's not Vcore. This is Vccin/Vrin for FIVR (fully integrated voltage regulators) inside CPU. Values around 1.80 volts are OK.

Reactions: gb00s

traderjay

Mar 24, 2017
Good memories from the past! My first dual cpu rig is based on the asus dual socket board. Very similar to this but it has 8 ram slots per cpu. At that time I was rocking dual 2696v4 and thought I was the king haha

JanCerny

Nov 25, 2017
Czech Republic
Relisted: ASUS Z10PA-D8 Motherboard, dualxeon 2011-3 Socket | eBay

Does anyone in Europe need original i/o shield?

I can import it:

Can anybody confirm, that M.2 2242 is connected to chipset with one PCIe Gen2 lane?

Last edited:

heromode

May 25, 2020
Z10PA-D8 | Servers & Workstations | ASUS USA

1 x M.2 Connector , NGFF Type : 2242, Capacity : 16~128GB

under 'Notes':

*1: SATA 6Gb/s & PCI-E Gen2 x1 link

And from: https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/...8/Manual/E13692_Z10PA-D8_Series_UM_V3_WEB.pdf

"The SSATA4 [Light Gray] will be automatically turned off if the M.2 connector (NGFF) is occupied.

There are 3 Apacher M.2 (NGFF) devices listed at Z10PA-D8 Series AVL

without checking though, i would imagine there exists Mini-SAS adapters that fit right into a PCIE3 x4 slot, and if not, just buy a standard PCIE3 x4 to M.2 adapter, then slap that M2 to Mini-SAS onto that :)

https://www.amazon.de/s?k=pcie+to+m.2&crid=JK8NWHD8AT91&sprefix=pcie+to+,aps,205&ref=nb_sb_ss_ts-a-p_1_8

alffx

Dec 6, 2020
hi all, i search the net to resolve my problem but found no info to help me so i'm here to ask your help... I have 2x e5-2630L v3 with 32 gigs of ram, the problem is that my cpu didn't want to turbo boost, frequency didn't go over the 1.8 ghz, also if under cinebench or other stress utility... in hardware info the turbo is marked red and result "capable, but disable", i try to switch almost every option in bios with no result... so i'm wondering if this motherboard won't turbo boost or it's just my problem. every help accepted

gb00s

Jul 25, 2018
Poland
First of all, I assume you will never see 2.9Ghz out of this processor until you have a very specific workload to achieve this goal. Additionally, you will see max 2.9Ghz on 1 core only. Please remember, this is a processor of 55W TDP only. Further to the above, you will never see 1 core with max turbo in a dual-socket environment.

My Bios on this board is optimized for io sensitive workload. Not performance. I have this processor on my Kubernetes station and run short stress tests. Find screenshots below. My max turbo clock out of the stress-ng test engine was around 2.63Ghz. I couldn't get a screenshot of it.

Stress-NG all cores

cpufreq_E52630Lv3_1.png

Stress-NG 1 single core

cpufreq_E52630Lv3_2.png

Also I would have the following questions:

1. Which BIOS-version
2. Which 'Performance/Energy' settings were set?
3. Did you deactivate all C-states?
:
etc.

Regards

Mike

alffx

Dec 6, 2020
my goal is not to see 2.9 ghz on one or all core... it's just to understand why all my core are always at 1.8 ghz and never never never never go over this frequency, i expect to see the frequency go up under an heavy load, only 1.9 ghz on only one core, but nothing happens, always 1.8 ghz :)

i have the latest bios, every option related to energy save, hibernation, c state are disabled

p.s. i had 1x e5 2630L v3 on my asrock x99x killer and the cpu will turbo boost sometimes to 2.1/2.2 ghz so the cpu it's capable to use the turbo, i start to think that dual socket world it's a little different

gb00s

Jul 25, 2018
Poland
Show the 'CPU - Advanced PM Tuning' settings. Is ACPI on Auto or 'disabled'?

Unfortunately, I have no chance to reboot now and check my settings to compare them 1:1

larrysb

Nov 7, 2018
Turn on the energy management features, that enables more stuff. The other thing is to disable all the bios "tuning" for performance/balanced/energy, which can unintentionally override the OS ability to enable turbo.

The OS in this case, thinks turbo mode is disabled. The 2630L is a low-power version of the 2630, so it won't turbo as much a the regular Xeon. But it should turbo some, if turbo is enabled in the bios. With a 55w tdp, it ain't gonna turbo much or for very long. :)

Being dual socket, you'll have to make sure the per-cpu configs are the same too.

You could also try it with one CPU installed and see if you can get it setup.

alffx

Dec 6, 2020
ok guys big news :) tired of trying to change the various bios options I decided to downgrade the bios to version 3202, which according to the seller is the best for this mainboard, and simply load defaults settings. Just changed the boot option to uefi and fresh install of windows 10 64 bit: everything seems to work! :) turbo in green in hwinfo, turbo works under cinebench, also single core turbo works great

I was stuck on trying to figure out which bios options to change, when there was a much easier way to solve the problem :)

Last edited:
Reactions: larrysb

alffx

Dec 6, 2020
to be honest, and I don't know why, I didn't try to load the defaults of the latest bios, the first thing I did was flash the old bios ... it is not said that with the basic settings the latest bios works, the only problem is that I don't have the server here at home so I can't do any more tests until tomorrow

however for any modded flash bios tests I use afudos version 3.05.04, it is the only version that allows you to use the /gan option, you can flash anything.

gb00s

Jul 25, 2018
Poland
Bios 3202 from 2016 might worked best for the seller (I assume it's the eBay seller). Unfortunately, I had lots of issues with 3202, especially when it comes to RAM specifications. LRDIMM with bios 3202 is a nightmare. Gives you lots of errors and can lead to a broken storage pool (zfs). Also, with bios 3202 I had lots of issues with HBA's when it comes to PCIe-slot location and passthrough of hardware (HBA's and network cards) to virtual machines.

My experience varies from your seller and I have/had fewer issues with bios 3801 (latest). So user experience is always different. But your issue is not a bios version issue! I had all servers here running with both bios versions and with several v3/v4 CPU's and they were all 'turboing' if you set the correct energy/performance settings.

alffx

Dec 6, 2020
Tomorrow I Will give a try to 3801 version, maybe It Will work out of the box as 3202

wildpig1234

Aug 22, 2016
i am just hoping that one day i will be able to finally put in two 2699 v4 as the end all ultimate ending upgrade to the Z10Pe-D16 i have ;)

larrysb

Nov 7, 2018
i am just hoping that one day i will be able to finally put in two 2699 v4 as the end all ultimate ending upgrade to the Z10Pe-D16 i have ;)

Nahh, you want the 2696v4. It's the same 22 core count, but higher turbo speeds, if your board will support the 165w TDP. Or a pair of the 2689v4, 10 cores each, but the highest turbo and base speeds at the higher core counts.

Reactions: wildpig1234

PabloChakon

Jun 2, 2020
Hey guys, has anyone had a problem booting up the machine with 2 cpus but not with 1? Is it up to the BIOS?
I have bought these from tne seller 4 months ago, but got my cpus from ebay only a week ago. Now that im testing I cant boot at all when im using both cpus (v4 es versions) but it runs ok using 1 cpu.,not really useful with one so Ill have to ask if anyone has any advice on what to do to make it work.
Tried different power supplies, tried both mobos I got, tried 4 slots ram and 2... nothing, not turning on at all let alone posting...

Any help will be appriciated :) many thanks guys <3

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
Do both CPUs work in the first socket?
Whats the issue (does not boot, beep code, blank screen), what does IPMI log say?

PabloChakon

Jun 2, 2020
Yes, all 4 cpus I have work when only 1 socket used with 2 sticks of ram (doesnt work with 4 for 1 socket) Both mobos I got also work the same with 1 cpu.
When they dont work they dont work at all, like no posting, no fan spins, no nothing like they are completely dead.
All ram and cpus work on my x10 supermicro dual socket with out any issues.