ASUS Z10PA-D8 - Dual Socket 2011-3

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

EagerToLearn

Feb 25, 2020
@joddlarn: What I find "confusing" is that on the homepage the following statement is written:
Slot Location 3 : PCI-E x16 (Gen3 X16 Link), Auto switch to x8 link if slot 4 is occupied
Slot Location 4 : PCI-E x8 (Gen3 X8 Link)
Slot Location 5 : PCI-E x16 (Gen3 X16 Link), Auto switch to x8 link if slot 6 is occupied *

Or does it make scense to wire both PCIE slots to one CPU?

E: Ok, it could be that the x16 links are independently wired to CPU1 and if the x8 slot is occupied the resp. x8 slot will shut down...

Last edited:

joddlarn

Jul 14, 2018
Sweden
@joddlarn: What I find "confusing" is that on the homepage the following statement is written:

Or does it make scense to wire both PCIE slots to one CPU?

E: Ok, it could be that the x16 links are independently wired to CPU1 and if the x8 slot is occupied the resp. x8 slot will shut down...
It makes sense that all slots are wired to CPU1: the board supports the E5-1600 series and that series only supports single cpu.
The E5-1600 has 40 lanes of PCIe 3.0. if you add together the lanes from all five slots you get: 8+8+8+8+8 = 40.

The last PCIe slot (slot 1) is 2.0 and doesn't come from the CPU.

Reactions: EagerToLearn

EagerToLearn

Feb 25, 2020
I have one more question: I am planning to equip the board with two 2680 v3 and overclock them a little bit. Which coolers can you recommend?

Earlier someone posted a picture of two Noctua NH-U9DX i4, but it looked really snug. And I have no idea if they are sufficient for my purpose. Given that they are fairly small and just barely fit, I was wondering if you have any reccomendation for bigger coolers me?

tesla100

Jun 15, 2016
I have one more question: I am planning to equip the board with two 2680 v3 and overclock them a little bit. Which coolers can you recommend?

Earlier someone posted a picture of two Noctua NH-U9DX i4, but it looked really snug. And I have no idea if they are sufficient for my purpose. Given that they are fairly small and just barely fit, I was wondering if you have any reccomendation for bigger coolers me?
I have these Noctua coolers on my main workstation with 2x 2673 v4s and I can tell that even they are small, they are pretty efficient. Another option would be it's bigger brother, the NH-U12DX i4, but I don't think you'll see much of a difference in CPU temps...

ari2asem

Dec 26, 2018
The Netherlands, Groningen
i have this mainboard, too. with two 120mm coolers. each cooler with 1 fan. the direction of airflow is parallel to pci-e slots. with this position of the coolers you cann't setup push-pull fan configuration, there is no room for extra fans, no room for 25mm thick fans.

i use my mainboard in a mining frame rig.

EagerToLearn

Feb 25, 2020
Thank you all. I went with the U9 :)

One last question: What kind of PSU are you using? I intend to use 135W CPUs, which means I need an SSI PSU. Can anyone recommend an affordable one?

EagerToLearn

Feb 25, 2020
Got my 2 today. Would have prefered carton o top of the sockets. If smthg presses on it ... Hmmm.

View attachment 13216 View attachment 13217
Hi Mike,
how did you fit those two side by side? I got the same setup, but mine won't fit (they overlapp just a little)...

@tesla100 : You said, you are using them as well. Did you mange to align them with flow direction perpendicular to the PCIE slots?

Last edited:
Reactions: gb00s

gb00s

Jul 25, 2018
Poland
Here is my first attempt to set up the 2x Noctuas side-by-side from the day I originally posted it is possible to install them like this. It just works, but as you can see you can't use the inner clamps. I did not find a solution so far. But the fans did not move a single mm with a small & thin stripe of double-sided tape.

2xNoctua_Asus-Z10PA-D8.jpg

Regards

Mike

EagerToLearn

Feb 25, 2020
Interesting, because with my setup, their is/was no gap between the two. Unfortunately my Mobos aren't working, so I alredy disasembled it.

And the coolers are plain on the CPU and how are your temps?

Did you mount the as you would normaly, or did you apply any pressure from the side?

tesla100

Jun 15, 2016
Hi Mike,
how did you fit those two side by side? I got the same setup, but mine won't fit (they overlapp just a little)...

@tesla100 : You said, you are using them as well. Did you mange to align them with flow direction perpendicular to the PCIE slots?
That's true, but the mainboard I use is the Asus Z10PE-D8 WS. And I have the airflow parallel to the PCI-e slots, so the CPU2 is running a little bit hotter, which I don't think is a big deal.

gb00s

Jul 25, 2018
Poland
.... Unfortunately, my Mobos aren't working, so I already disassembled it.
Did you get them from the same seller? I also had 2 not working, but they sent me new boards and they are working perfectly fine.

And the coolers are plain on the CPU and how are your temps?
Yes sure. I think I posted it already earlier, but under full load for hours and room temp ~22-23C it never gets > 60C.

Did you mount the as you would normally, or did you apply any pressure from the side?
Normal installation, no adjustments, bending or any pressure needed.

I saw your earlier question about bigger Noctuas. I just tested old P12 SE2's (EOL) I had to lie around here on a board I'm waiting to fill with RAM and assembled them. They fit perfectly if you have the 2011 mounting kit. But take care of the size of the case. That might be the problem. It looks like a perfect pull/push/pull cooler.

N2scale.jpg

N1scale.jpg

N4scale.jpg

N3scale.jpg

Regards

Mike

Last edited:

gb00s

Jul 25, 2018
Poland
... And I have the airflow parallel to the PCI-e slots, so the CPU2 is running a little bit hotter, which I don't think is a big deal.
You could accomplish the same setup with the Z10PA-D8 and the smaller coolersas well ... just one less fan with same effect like above. Just holding them on and aligned, not fixed to the motherboard.

N5scale.jpg

Regards

Mike

sergi0

Dec 4, 2016
I had this board and 2 NH-U12DX i4. They poerfectly fit, I have one fan per heatsink. There are between them, but no need to add anoter fan with this setup.
I have notice something strange, CPU1temp in BIOS are higher than CPU2. I test that on 2 differents Z10PA-D8 and with 2 different sets of CPU (2630Lv3 and 2650Lv3).
Does anyone have an idea of the situation ? Thermal paste, CPU contact and stuff were my primary cause, but I did the tests several time.

sergi0

Dec 4, 2016
I test the mobo open air and the temp (with BIOS) were 37c for CPU2 and 43-45c for CPU1. Both motherboard with the 2 sets of CPU show the same pattern. I could feel the CPU temp with with my finger, just above the cooling pipe. I'll do more test, but that was strange enough to be measurable. I'll probably need to do some CPU intensive tests and see how it works, but I was assuming CPU temp in BIOS were the same for the 2 processors.

sergi0

Dec 4, 2016
yes, it is the same configuration, with a total of 2 fans instead of 3. With my tests, it does not show any tangible improvement to have 3 fans, especially with L xeons.

EagerToLearn

Feb 25, 2020
Yeah, but one CPU heats up the air that goes to the second CPU, so the second CPU by laws of thermodynamics must be warmer. +7°C, as you have it, seems like a reasonable amount for this effect.

sergi0

Dec 4, 2016
You are probably right. I will make a test with only CPU1, and using differents CPU in order to have the difference between 1CPU and 2CPU. I should get the same kind of temp as the one I get at min.