ASUS Z10PA-D8 - Dual Socket 2011-3

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

wildpig1234

Aug 22, 2016
They should have used a piece of cardboard taped to the outside of the cpu metal holders, not a napkin paper placed under the holder!

I have the z10ped16ws version. Great MB. runs ES v4 cpus fine. A lot more room for expansion but you do need EEB case.

as far as the e5-2673 v3 goes, it seems about as fast as 2696 v2. But 2673 v3 is cheaper however ddr4 ram cost will be a lot more than ddr3.

2673 v3, 2696 v2 is just slightly slower than ryzen 7 3700x in multicore.

I guess if you go with v3/4 at least you will have some upgrade path. 2696 v2 is pretty much the max multicore cpu you can get with v2 platform.

Last edited:
Reactions: gb00s

gb00s

Jul 25, 2018
Poland
Today I wanted to install one of the boards in a new server. Doesn't post at all. Fans are starting but but the rest dead. No boot code is shown. Nothing. Fans running on super low rpm. So I tried another one of the boards I bought. Doesn't post. No fans starting. Nothing. After 5sec my power supply made a small bang bang and smoke coming out. Switched to another power supply and it went into emergency mode immediately. Board shows all the lights, but no post code and fans do not start.

So both remaining boards dead. I saw another guy with the same problem and the seller did not react. I hope he's not having the same behavior with me.

Last edited:

alex_stief

May 31, 2016
Ooof. Which CPUs did you use, and which PSUs? And did you check the sockets for bent pins?

gb00s

Jul 25, 2018
Poland
Ooof. Which CPUs did you use, and which PSUs? And did you check the sockets for bent pins?
Hi Alex ... I used single and dual E5 2630 v3's and a single E5 2630 v4. PSU is a Nitrox CN-900 NS 85+ from Inter-Tech ... both are just 2 months old.

I just noticed that when switching one board on, the CATTERRE LED1 (red) lights up for a split of a sec and the power supply clicks. But fans are still running and all important lights are green. Even the BMC_LED1 starts blinking after some time. But no POST code or beep or screen. Nothing.

Sockets seem to be good. Only thing I could see is this, but shouldn't be a problem.

Socket2.jpg

EDIT: Ok, found something ...

Socket3.jpg

Last edited:

alex_stief

May 31, 2016
Any chance that the PSU is the culprit here? InterTech PSUs don't have a stellar reputation, to put it mildly. Plus this one seems to be lacking a second 8-pin connector.

gb00s

Jul 25, 2018
Poland
The same PSU runs on a third ASUS Z10PA-D8 without any problems and it has 2x 8-pin connectors. I have Inter-Tech and Seasonic PSU's here side by side for years and no issues at all.

ADD: I just switched a Seasonix 1500W PSU to both boards and I have exactly the same issues. I even changed the wall plugs and ....

ADD: Seller reacted fast and we are trying to sort 'things' out

Last edited:
Reactions: nikalai

alex_stief

May 31, 2016
The same PSU runs on a third ASUS Z10PA-D8 without any problems and it has 2x 8-pin connectors. I have Inter-Tech and Seasonic PSU's here side by side for years and no issues at all.

ADD: I just switched a Seasonix 1500W PSU to both boards and I have exactly the same issues. I even changed the wall plugs and ....

ADD: Seller reacted fast and we are trying to sort 'things' out
With the new pictures you added from the bent socket pins, the PSU can probably be taken off the list of possible causes :)

gb00s

Jul 25, 2018
Poland
With the new pictures you added from the bent socket pins, the PSU can probably be taken off the list of possible causes :)
Not sure if these pins really are the root of the problem. Even with a faulty missing CPU the board should at least start and show '00' POST code ... At least my perfectly running shows a '00' while trying to boot without any CPU. But both boards show no POST code at all. It also should not be the root that on the second and totally dead board, the fans do not even start to spin.

No, this is not the root of the problem I guess.

alex_stief

May 31, 2016
Chances are that something important was shorted on the motherboard when you first tried to boot it up.

gb00s

Jul 25, 2018
Poland
yeah, that's my guess also for the one fully dead board. But I think it's an internal fault as I start them up on an anti-static mat with CPU and RAM installed and no additional peripheries.

The guys mentioned they tested them. I totally believe them. That's not a problem. Maybe something happened when they shut down the board and unplugged the power cords. Happened to me once.

They will ship 2 new boards. Fair conversations with them, so there's no issue or anything negative to say on this site. Shit happens.

joddlarn

Jul 14, 2018
Sweden
I also bought one of these. Running it with a single cpu at the moment, as all pcie slots are wired to cpu1.
Running it with a E5-2678v3 and 64gb (4x16gb) ram.
So far so good atleast :)

Quick question; my motherboard included the ASMB8-iKVM chip. Did all boards come with this or was I just lucky?

Reactions: Reflexiony

gb00s

Jul 25, 2018
Poland
I also bought one of these. Running it with a single cpu at the moment, as all pcie slots are wired to cpu1.

Quick question; my motherboard included the ASMB8-iKVM chip. Did all boards come with this or was I just lucky?
I believe they all come with the IPMI ... These are from a rendering farm so it would make sense they all had IPMI installed.

Reactions: joddlarn

kh78

Mar 31, 2020
Awww, they don't ship to Australia :(
Exactly what I'm needing two of to finish my lab, but now I have to pay more than 3 times as much per board here in Aus....sometimes its just better to have not known! :eek:

gb00s

Jul 25, 2018
Poland
Awww, they don't ship to Australia :(
Exactly what I'm needing two of to finish my lab, but now I have to pay more than 3 times as much per board here in Aus....sometimes its just better to have not known! :eek:
Well, to ship from Malta to Australia would cost ~35EUR (Economy incl Insurance) and it takes around 12-15days. From Germany to Malta ~15EUR (Economy incl Insurance) and takes around 5-7days. So in around 20-25days you could have your boards. As I'm in contact with them I may can talk to them and we can arrange something. Let me know.

Reactions: kh78

Mamin

Apr 1, 2020

Are you sure all PCIE slots are wired to cpu1? Documentation says the slots assignment are alternated [Link].

I took bait and got a board. Cheaper than what's available here (Malaysia) even with shipping.

joddlarn

Jul 14, 2018
Sweden
Are you sure all PCIE slots are wired to cpu1? Documentation says the slots assignment are alternated [Link].

I took bait and got a board. Cheaper than what's available here (Malaysia) even with shipping.
That link only shows an example for one specific board, the Z10PE-D16 WS.

If you look in the manual for Z10PA-D8 : https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/...8/Manual/E13692_Z10PA-D8_Series_UM_V3_WEB.pdf

On page 2-17 you have the following text:
2.5.4 PCI Express x16 slot (x16 link)
The onboard PCIE3 and PCIE5 slots provides one x16 Gen3 link to CPU1 and auto switches to x8 link if PCIE4/PCIE6 is occupied. This slot supports VGA cards and various server class high performance add-on cards.

2.5.5 PCI Express x8 slot (x8 link)
The onboard PCIE2 and PCIE4 slots provide one x8 Gen3 link to CPU1. These slots support VGA cards and various server class high performance add-on cards.The onboard PCIE6 provide one x8 Gen3 link to CPU1 and supports MIO.

2.5.6 PCI Express x8 slot (x4 link)
The onboard PCIE1 slot provides one x4 Gen2 link to Intel C612 PCH chipset.This slot support various server class high performance add-on cards

This gives that all PCIe 3.0 slots goes to CPU1.
I'm using slot 2, 3, 4 and 5. They are all working with a single cpu.

Reactions: nikalai and gb00s

Mamin

Apr 1, 2020
That link only shows an example for one specific board, the Z10PE-D16 WS.

If you look in the manual for Z10PA-D8 : https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/...8/Manual/E13692_Z10PA-D8_Series_UM_V3_WEB.pdf

On page 2-17 you have the following text:
2.5.4 PCI Express x16 slot (x16 link)
The onboard PCIE3 and PCIE5 slots provides one x16 Gen3 link to CPU1 and auto switches to x8 link if PCIE4/PCIE6 is occupied. This slot supports VGA cards and various server class high performance add-on cards.

2.5.5 PCI Express x8 slot (x8 link)
The onboard PCIE2 and PCIE4 slots provide one x8 Gen3 link to CPU1. These slots support VGA cards and various server class high performance add-on cards.The onboard PCIE6 provide one x8 Gen3 link to CPU1 and supports MIO.

2.5.6 PCI Express x8 slot (x4 link)
The onboard PCIE1 slot provides one x4 Gen2 link to Intel C612 PCH chipset.This slot support various server class high performance add-on cards

This gives that all PCIe 3.0 slots goes to CPU1.
I'm using slot 2, 3, 4 and 5. They are all working with a single cpu.
Alright. Thanks.

hyltcasper

May 1, 2020
Hey guys. I hope you will be satisfied using it. Maybe I will buy too. I think you can unlock full turbo oc. Just download new bios, edit before flashing. If you already flashed new bios you need to create a new version. Due to asus bios protection.