Asus X99 Deluxe II BIOS only showing 18 of 22 cores?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.
Jan 12, 2017
Cambridge, UK
So I have just setup a new box on the Asus X99 Deluxe II and the Xeon E5-2696V4.

I have done a BIOS update to the latest version, but still the BIOS in active cores is only showing 18 cores?

The BIOS is recognizing that the chip is the E5-2696V4. and that it has 22 cores, it just only show 18 (in 'active cores').

Can you anyone advise on this? Thanks.

Jan 12, 2017
Cambridge, UK
There isn't an option for that, not that I can see?

It lists all 'active cores' (0-17) with the option on each core to enable/disable.

--

So just to complicate matters further, I just installed Windows and that is saying 22 cores.

I am going to install CoreTemp and BOINC and see exactly how many threads it can process data with.

--

BOINC is processing using 44 Threads, and CoreTemp is showing 22 cores.

I think perhaps the Asus X99 Deluxe II Bios can only report 18 cores, but in truth in runs as normal on 22.

If anything changes I will update this post..

Last edited:

Aluminum

Sep 7, 2012
As long as the OS can use them I would just ignore it, likely just dumb bios display code. 99% of the time as long as it has the correct id and microcode for a particular cpu things just work.

If you run into actual problems utilizing all cores...buy asrock, because asus won't give a damn about "server parts on desktop". Been there, done that.

/signed, fellow 2696v4 user with registered ecc on asrock X99