ASUS WRX80 Workstation Motherboard for new AMD Threadripper Pro's - Memory Module DIMM Slot installation permutation.

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

kgf9

Mar 26, 2021
1616785027936.png

Where should I install the 4 X 32GB modules ?

Which 4 memory module config should I purchase: 1RX4, 2RX4, 1RX8 or 2RX8 modules (Kingston or Crucial) ?

I have read online that the X8 are more power efficient.

Regards

kgf9

Mar 26, 2021
I have seen a Lenovo P620 Thinkstation review that shows DIMM_D1 and DIMM_C1 + DIMM_G1 and DIMM_H1 being populated. Seems to be a choice of furthest away from CPU socket. Maybe placed for better thermal management. Who's knows. I suspect that a rule of thumb of 2 modules per side is a default for 4 X memory modules.

kgf9

Mar 26, 2021
Why buy Threadripper Pro if you only want to install 4 of 8 memory modules?
Are you saying I should go for 8 modules instead of 4 ? I typically buy bigger than I need since I keep thing longer than most (Futur proofing)

NablaSquaredG

Layer 1 Magician
Aug 17, 2020
One of the main points that separates Threadripper PRO from standard Threadripper is that it has 8 memory channels instead of 4 like the standard Threadripper.

Anything else than 8 modules means that you're wasting 50% of the maximum possible memory bandwidth and even get less bandwidth than standard Threadripper, because you cannot overclock the memory to 3600MHz

Reactions: Patrick

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Our WRX80 is always 8-channel configured. If I wanted to do less, usually motherboard manuals have memory population guidelines.

moxford

Apr 24, 2017
The Lenovo P620s we ordered are all trainwrecks - stickers on lid didn't match silkscreening didn't match manuals, and they were not even consistent across the 6 we bought direct from them.

Oh, and they fused the CPUs as well, and turned it on in the firmware, but their fuses were not even consistent with their messaging as their secure boot keys were apparently not consistent across the product line.

Never again, Lenovo, never, ever, again.

Reactions: ari2asem

kgf9

Mar 26, 2021
Just found out that the ASUS description of MB size stating E-ATX is in fact more like SSI-EEB form factor. This is a heads-up about case compatibility issues.

Reactions: Patrick

alaeh

Aug 24, 2019
Both Supermicro and Asus are SSI-EEB sized (12" x 13"). The case-friendlier sized variant is the Gigabyte board which is SSI-CEB (12" X 10.5"). It doesn't seem to be available in the US at the moment but have seen them being sold already in EU (scan.co.uk) and AU (scorptec).

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Oh, and they fused the CPUs as well, and turned it on in the firmware, but their fuses were not even consistent with their messaging as their secure boot keys were apparently not consistent across the product line.
How did you find out about fusing the CPUs? I would love to know if Lenovo is doing this on TR Pro.

kgf9

Mar 26, 2021
After some Q&A all over the place online, I decided to go with Fractal Define 7 XL Case. Lian Li's O11Dynamic XL came in second since it required the purchase of an additional EEB bracket to support the ASUS WRX80E-SAGE MB. The second reason to compare these two cases is that they both have a top panel ventilation grill. Since I opted for a CPU Air Cooler such as the Noctua NH-U14S TR4-SP3 CPU Air Cooler which, once installed on the ASUS Pro WS WRX80E-SAFWE-SE WiFi motherboard, has it's fans blowing air towards the top of the case instead of towards the back of the case that is typically a use case CPU Air Cooler installation scenario. This socket orientation complicates the use of CPU air coolers to ensure optimal air flow.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
I have been using the RAIJINTEK Asterion Plus with my normal TR workstation. The only thing that would stop me from using it for the WRX80 is that it has only Type-A front/top ports. The NZXT 710i that was used for the i9-11900K is probably nicer, but the lear panels with the doors on a hinge is great. You can just swing the doors open and there is a lot of room inside.

LinasK

Oct 15, 2022
I have the same board with 8 RAM slots and want to install 4 RAM modules. Did you figure out what 4 slots to intall it?