Asus W680 ACE - ECC support not working

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Styp

Aug 1, 2018
Ok, I don't want to hijack the other W680 threads anymore. So I am strating a new one here for my specific problem.

I built a new workstation for video and graphics stuff, mainly with reliability in mind. The 13900k is a beast and the W680 plattform was the better option over a AMD in terms of ECC support. That's what I thought....

My issue is that neighter Ubuntu dmidecode, nor Windows 11 is showing me that the OS is supporting ECC. I am using a vanilla Windows 11 for now, without any hypervisor in between. By now, I think it is the 5th or 6th reinstall in 5 days and I have seriously no idea anymore what I could do to make this work.

Mainboard: Asus W680 ACE (without IPMI, not needed)
RAM: Kingston KSM48E40BD8KM-32HM (2x for now)
Bios: 2305 (latest)
Driver: Latest Chipset Driver from Intel Website, ME tool and full ME update. Device Manager looks clean.

---

I have no idea which direction research anymore. Who here is running a W680 platfform with ECC and had similar problems?
Is it a Bios flag I am missing? SPD write is on....

Attachments

rtech

Jun 2, 2021
One of the ways to verify ECC support is to overclock RAM until the ECC errors appear. Have you tried this?

Styp

Aug 1, 2018
Nope but good idea to try.

Intel Core i913900K Processor 36M Cache up to 5.80 GHz Product Specifications
Intel Core i913900KF Processor 36M Cache up to 5.80 GHz Product Specifications

I actually have a 13900kf external GPU needed anyway. Intel does mention ECC support on K but nothing explicit on KF.
HWinfo64 shows that my memory could do ECC but DRAM ECC is not supported. I hope this is just incomplete information...

---

F%&%: I think the F has no ECC capability. WHY INTEL, WHY?!
Took me now 2 hours to figure that one out, I think that I really need to buy a K without the F.

Last edited:

Styp

Aug 1, 2018
Yeah, its the case...

13900kf:
Screenshot 2023-05-31 092805.png

13900k:
Screenshot 2023-06-02 112815.png

But why is the return value 5, not 6?

I anyhow have a feeling something is a little wierd, boot times are really slow.

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
But why is the return value 5, not 6?
you can see 6 on AMD systems. AMD uses other correction methods/algorithms.
5 is single bit error correction(multi bit err. detection SEC-DEC)
6 is multi bit error correction
some may report 6 as multi bit error detection, this is a faulty report but can happen.

Reactions: Styp

Styp

Aug 1, 2018
you can see 6 on AMD systems. AMD uses other correction methods/algorithms.
5 is single bit error correction(multi bit err. detection SEC-DEC)
6 is multi bit error correction
some may report 6 as multi bit error detection, this is a faulty report but can happen.
True. Good point.

Kahooli

Dec 3, 2022
Wow. K and KF are same CPU die and yet they disable ecc? Are you sure its not a microcode error, or a chipset config error on the part of asus?

Reactions: ketiljo and Styp

Styp

Aug 1, 2018
Wow. K and KF are same CPU die and yet they disable ecc? Are you sure its not a microcode error, or a chipset config error on the part of asus?
To my surprise. YES, k and kf behave differently. The GPU part is needed for the ECC; it is written somewhere on the Intel page.

The biggest problem with the way Intel communicates is that the K is explicitly stated as ECC supported, whereas F is not explicitly stated as 'not supported'. Wikipedia has a list that seems to be correct. The same goes for 13900 and 13900F.

So long story short: Buy non-F if you need ECC!

---

I am just curious if somebody else already failed this detail, or am I the only donut here? @Patrick

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
To my surprise. YES, k and kf behave differently. The GPU part is needed for the ECC; it is written somewhere on the Intel page.
if you look into geizhals.de / skinflint.co.uk
13100 ECC support no (with iGPU)

I am just curious if somebody else already failed this detail, or am I the only donut here? @Patrick
if you look into geizhals.de / skinflint.co.uk
13900KF ECC support no

So long story short: Buy non-F if you need ECC!
:cool:

Kahooli

Dec 3, 2022
The GPU part is needed for the ECC; it is written somewhere on the Intel page
Now that seems absurd when the entire memory controller is on the CPU die. I smell more intel arbitrary segmentation bullshit./

don't forget that there is no functional difference of a 12/13th gen in a Z690 mobo versus W680. The difference is microcode and microcode only. The memory controller is there. The pins are there. the memory traces are there (can be there?). This is licensing and microcode. Forced segmentation

Reactions: Patrick