Asus Strix X399-E U.2 (sff-8639) to SATA using mini HD SAS to SATA

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

shandidy

May 20, 2021
Hello All,

I need help figuring out If I can utilize the U.2 connector for extra SATA storage, currently I have a Norco RPC 4020 case and two Dell HBA 330 that are working, I need to use the last 4 bays in my 4u case, but I would like to know if I can plug in a mini SAS HD cable to 4 SATA, will be recognized, my motherboard manual says NVME only but this port is the same exact one on my Dell SAS HBA 330, have any one tried to pugging in one of those cables to the u.2 header in the Asus Strix x399 or any x399 motherboard before, and can anyone confirm it is working or not, reason i want to save some money if possible as i only need 4 sata ports, also i am aware of cheaper sata cards but these do not support hot swap features CableCreation Internal HD Mini SAS (SFF-8643 Host) - 4X SATA (Target) Cable,SFF-8643 to 4X SATA Cable,1.6ft, SFF-8643 for Controller, 4 Sata Connect to Hard Drive: Amazon.ca: Electronics

Please advise,

Thank you.

RTM

Jan 26, 2014
It is not uncommon to use SFF-8643 to connect to U.2 drives. Same with Oculink for SATA (though I honestly think of it as intended for NVMe).

I would trust what the documentation states, but you are of course allowed to hope for it to work, so I wish you all the best :)

shandidy

May 20, 2021
It is not uncommon to use SFF-8643 to connect to U.2 drives. Same with Oculink for SATA (though I honestly think of it as intended for NVMe).

I would trust what the documentation states, but you are of course allowed to hope for it to work, so I wish you all the best :)
Thank you, I am rebuilding by array now it will take about 48 hours to finish I was wounding do I pull the trigger on ordering a 3rd dell HBA 330 it is around $160 a pop and I will use the U.2 port on my motherboard as it is not utilized, also it would be easier to ask instead of switching it off remove it from the rack and so on lol wanted to avoid this process, and find out if it will not work or not, hopefully within 48 hours I will get a solid answer since x399 board are consumer grade boards I assume some one has tried it granted I am using not for gaming it is a storage server.

Thanks again for your input

Cheers.