Asus Pro WS X570-Ace BIOS "flashback"?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

maxermaxer

Oct 28, 2016
I am about to receive the ASUS Pro WS X570 motherboard and I want to run it with Ryzen R9 5900x. I know the bios of the board needs to be updated in case the latest version of BIOS is not installed. I read from some threads of STH that this board doesn't have the BIOS flashback (flashing BIOS without CPU) and some say yes. I just want to check again if anyone can confirm this? I want to know if I have to borrow an old generation AMD CPU just to update the BIOS. Thanks!

maxermaxer

Oct 28, 2016
Have just done some research on ASUS website and found that it is very likely this board doesn't have Flashback feature which allows users to update the BIOS without CPU. I guess I will have to check the BIOS version of the MB I am going to receive and see how to deal with it ...
The picture below is the MB which has the Flashback button, which X570 ACE doesn't have by looking at the back panel diagram in their manual.
And here is the link for how to use Flashback feature:
https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1038568

BIOS flashback.PNG

Mwilliamson

Aug 15, 2020
Fenton, Michigan, USA
The X570 Ace does not support bios flashback. If you receive a board with an older bios (like I did), you will need an AM4 processor from the previous generation to update the bios. I was fortunate enough to have access to a Ryzen 3200G through work, but not all of us are so fortunate. Good luck with your board!

maxermaxer

Oct 28, 2016
The X570 Ace does not support bios flashback. If you receive a board with an older bios (like I did), you will need an AM4 processor from the previous generation to update the bios. I was fortunate enough to have access to a Ryzen 3200G through work, but not all of us are so fortunate. Good luck with your board!
Thank you very much! I think I need to do some preparation and hope I am lucky enough to receive the board with later BIOS. Thanks!

Zhang

Sep 18, 2018
I had the same motherboard. It does not have the BIOS flashback feature. However, you can update BIOS via its Realtek management interface.

You will need a Windows machine in the same subnet and install ASUS Control Center Express (ACCE) Setup. You can checkout ACCE manual Section 4.10 for more details.

I used this way to recover from a bad flash (my machine froze during BIOS update and became completely dead after reset), and can confirm it works. The only problem was that ACCE wasn't straightforward to use, so you probably need some time to figure out how to use it. But I am 100% certain it works, and it does not require a license.

Piefke0815

Jan 30, 2021
I tried to flash brand-new board with ACCE for Ryzen 7 5800x. The ACCE discovers the board, but all functions do not work. Some function, like flashing BIOS (Smart Bios menu) show no error, but won´t work. Other function, like "Clear CMOS", produces an error "Operation failed: 0x8FF00013".

Any suggestions?

Zhang

Sep 18, 2018
@Piefke0815 @Makblast Most of ACCE features don't work unless the Windows client is installed. However, as far as I can recall, there is a "hardware mode" (or some similar names) for BIOS update which uses the RTL 8117 hardware to flash BIOS even when no OS is running.

Last edited:

Makblast

Feb 28, 2021
@Zhang @Piefke0815
Yes... I can find the interface for acce remote from another pc, however all functions send won’t work. I can upload a bios to the cache. But all bios flash options fail... hardware, recovery mode...
Also reboot, shutdown etc for that sake...Same behavior as piefke0815 describes. Have to find an older CPU :( I guess.

Last edited:

Zhang

Sep 18, 2018
@Makblast When you flash the BIOS in hardware mode, did you see a red LED on the motherboard? It should go off after the flash is done (which takes a while). There is no progress bar or whatever in the ACCE software (their UI is pretty bad). As long as the flash process started on RTL 8117 you can ignore whatever errors ACCE reported.

Piefke0815

Jan 30, 2021
@Piefke0815
Same issue here... did you solve it?
Sorry, there is no solution for older BIOS-versions. The Realtek-networkadpter runs an openwrt for the deployed AususControlCenter-services. It seems most of deployed services for ACC are available after the CPU initialize the motherboard. Without a compatible version of AGESA in your BIOS the CPU and motherboard will not be initialized.

Asus-support answers:
If you do not have an older generation CPU available to flash the BIOS, contact AMD for a short-term processor boot kit. Further information can be found on the page: https://www.amd.com/de/support/kb/faq/pa-100

Makblast

Feb 28, 2021
Thanks a lot for your replies..
I will try to contact the reseller and if they don’t have a solution - then AMD

Malthe

Jul 28, 2011
Hi
I did contact AMD and got an older CPU to flash with. And I got it to boot with 5800x.
Unfortunately I can not recommend this motherboard. Have had 2 that stoppede working - started triggering charge protection of my psu.
Got a refund for one of them, the other I trashed.

baggiohimselfe

Aug 15, 2021
Hi
I did contact AMD and got an older CPU to flash with. And I got it to boot with 5800x.
Unfortunately I can not recommend this motherboard. Have had 2 that stoppede working - started triggering charge protection of my psu.
Got a refund for one of them, the other I trashed.
Sorry for that man! Can I ask wich PSU you had connected to that motherboard? And specs i general? RAM (part-number), harddrive (part-number) and GPU? I just want to learn. I also have this motherboard.