ASUS Pike II 3108 flash to stock firmware

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

lte

Apr 13, 2020
DE
Hi everyone,

while having some experience with the older LSI 2008 and 2308 controllers, I so far have to extensive flashing experience with the 12G SAS series.
My findings so far are, that the Pike controller uses a propitiatory firmware that blocks itself initializing on non-ASUS boards. On an ASUS board it posts normally.
My plan is therefore to revert the controller firmware to the stock LSI/AVAGO now Broadcom firmware.

I have read @Sleyk 's write-up of tackling the Dell HBA/H330 series and assume it is similar.
Asking for advicee out here so others with similar problems might find it for reference.

So: how to I kill the ASUS firmware ? :D

Thanks a million guys

Reactions: Sleyk

lte

Apr 13, 2020
DE
It is the 3108-8i PIKE II controller based on the RAID chip, not the HBA.
From what my understanding is, the RAID controller is able to passthrough the drives to the OS in some way, although not entirely identical to the 3008. The crossflashing from 3108 firmware to 3008 firmware as common for the 6G SAS cards is thus not necessary.

chune

Oct 28, 2013
Sadly my friend, you can't. However, you can put it into HBA mode, which will passthrough the drives to the OS.
Oh nice, it came in my Asus ESC-8000 server so as long as it has an HBA mode I should be good to pass this through to an omniOS VM for ZFS

Reactions: Sleyk