ASUS KRPA-U16 not working with EPYC 7D13 (100-000000322)

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

RageBone

Jul 11, 2017
Even more mysterious than the 7D12/7D13 is the motherboard, which I've hardly ever seen with only four channels of RAM except for ITX.
The 7D12 seems to be a purpose-built CPU for storage. Some boards may not light up the machine if the memory is plugged in full. Only the four outermost channels (CDGH) are available.

---------

Hahaha, the other day at OCP Facebook announced the project called North Dome, which is supposed to be the source of 7D12/7D13.

North Dome is 6 channel as far as i have seen and Docs claim it to be completely compatible with basically all epyc CPUs.
Milan preferred and only validated with 95W SKUs.
I found nothing obvious why those 7D13 CPUs are supposed to just work on North Dome.
Of course that changes should we get a North Dome Biosfile

ExecutableFix

Nov 25, 2019
Did you happen to run any CPU benchmarks on this 7D12 CPU? Many other system components added up the power usage, what was the actual idle and loaded power consumption?
I did, but never published them. I'll give it another try sometime :)

dbTH

Apr 9, 2017
I did, but never published them. I'll give it another try sometime :)
If you could would be great. I haven't seen anyone publish the CPU benchmark for this EPYC sku on benchmark.net or openbenchmarking.org or other place except this one on youtube in Japanese language:

Reactions: RolloZ170

gsrcrxsi

Dec 12, 2018
If you could would be great. I haven't seen anyone publish the CPU benchmark for this EPYC sku on benchmark.net or openbenchmarking.org or other place except this one on youtube in Japanese language:

i noticed in this video they attempted to raise the power limit to 105W, but only changed one of the necessary fields. you need to change both the cTDP and the Package Power Limit fields. maybe it can go up higher if they change both.

Wasmachineman_NL

Wittgenstein the Supercomputer FTW!
Aug 7, 2019
i noticed in this video they attempted to raise the power limit to 105W, but only changed one of the necessary fields. you need to change both the cTDP and the Package Power Limit fields. maybe it can go up higher if they change both.
Precision Boost Overdrive on Epycs lmao

gsrcrxsi

Dec 12, 2018
Precision Boost Overdrive on Epycs lmao
wut? i didnt mention PBO.

some EPYCs do support configurable TDP (cTDP). the 7402P for example ships with a default TDP of 180W, but this is configurable between 165-200W. bumping the cTDP up to 200W will increase clocks under heavy situations where the power limit pulls the clocks below the max of 3.35GHz. while at 200W cTDP they remain pegged at 3.35GHz.

or my 7642's which have a default of 225W, and I can squeeze another 2-300MHz out of it by bumping it to 240W

if you can raise the cTDP on this 7D12 chip, it will most certainly raise the core clocks.

Last edited:

Wasmachineman_NL

Wittgenstein the Supercomputer FTW!
Aug 7, 2019
wut? i didnt mention PBO.

some EPYCs do support configurable TDP (cTDP). the 7402P for example ships with a default TDP of 180W, but this is configurable between 165-200W. bumping the cTDP up to 200W will increase clocks under heavy situations where the power limit pulls the clocks below the max of 3.35GHz. while at 200W cTDP they remain pegged at 3.35GHz.

or my 7642's which have a default of 225W, and I can squeeze another 2-300MHz out of it by bumping it to 240W

if you can raise the cTDP on this 7D12 chip, it will most certainly raise the core clocks.
I suppose the joke didn't come over properly. Oh well.

arpadboda

Jul 25, 2023
Guys, can anyone tell me how to go to milan with this board?
I have access to bmc, I can update bios there, but it displays two version.
Whatever I do, no matter how many times I flash the dual rome/milan bios, it just affects the 2nd bios. If I install a milan cpu, the board is stuck with "00" code, doesn't boot. What should I do to make it support milan?

Attachments

upalachango

May 28, 2023
i hope this information is coming soon too.
Do we know what motherboard they used at least? I messaged a vendor asking what model they used but language barrier got me just "7003 motherboard, you have to update BIOS though"

I'm looking into a 7d12, but would love to go with Milan instead for the small price premium.

bbchichiYY

Aug 11, 2023
Currently, I have tested that the tyan 8030 can light up and enter the system

But the 7d13 PCIe channels are not enough, and most of the PCIe channels on the motherboard, including the onboard graphics card, are not available

Last edited:
Reactions: upalachango

bbchichiYY

Aug 11, 2023
screenshot

Single core performance is acceptable, while multi-core performance is relatively poor due to the low frequency of power distribution mechanisms.

It may be much better to use Asus u16, but unfortunately, Asus' existing bios does not support this CPU, and Asus has not officially upgraded AGESA to 1.0.0. A.

Gigabyte Mz32 supports Milan AGESA 1.0.0. A, just like the 8030, but it cannot light up. It's strange, is there a big god to solve the problem

Attachments

upalachango

May 28, 2023
Single core performance is acceptable, while multi-core performance is relatively poor due to the low frequency of power distribution mechanisms.
CPU-Z isn't that rigorous of a benchmarking tool, and their "validation" website lumps anything with 36 threads or more all together. I doubt CPU-Z is programmed to properly benchmark processors with so many cores. I would try something more like Cinebench which does a good job at stressing as many cores as you can throw at it.

That said, the 7D12 is a low power variant of normal Rome Epycs, with half the memory channels and much lower TDP and speed. I assume the 7D13 is going to be similarly "low powered" focused with lower clock speeds and half the memory bandwidth. If it's only clocking to 3.2ghz in single thread, I imagine multithread is less than 3.0Ghz for all core. Have you raised the cTDP in the BIOS so it doesn't thermal throttle as fast?

The 7D1x models I don't think are meant to be fast, they just offer a ridiculous amount of cores at low power. I think that's why they're so interesting for the homelab since rarely does anyone need to run all cores at top speed, but we do need as many cores as possible when playing with a lot of VMs.

As for mobo support, that's promising about Gigabyte. Is your MZ32 on the latest BIOS and is it Rev 1.0 or 3.0? There isn't a huge change between the two revisions, but 3.0 adds more PCIe4.0 lanes and is built more specifically for Milan support. Rev1.0 still says it's a 7002 motherboard (with others saying it boots 7003 retail SKUs no problem). Only Rev3.0 says it's specifically a 7003 board. The Tyan S8030GM2NE is specifically a 7003 board with explicit support for Milan and Milan-X. The KRPA-U16 marketing material says "powered by 7002" but claims support for 7003. I bet there's a tiny change in mobo requirements for 7003. Small enough that mobo companies can get around with an updated BIOS but big enough that if they don't specifically program support for non-retail SKUs they won't work. Or maybe the custom SKUs like the 7D13 are more tweaked than the 7D12 causing them to be picky with motherboard.

upalachango

May 28, 2023
Another thing, it looks like the 7D13 is a 36C/72T chip. Likely 6 CCDs with a 6x6 core config. There is no other 6 CCD chip in the Milan series. Every other chip has either 8 or 4 CCDs and there are only a few models that have 3 or 6 cores per CCD. This 6x6 core config is unique enough that nobody programmed/enabled support for it, and maybe Tyan made the mobos for the 7D13 customer so they already have the code in their BIOS? I'm just tossing out ideas at this point, but it does seem like we're slowly peeling back the layers around the 7D13.

(side note: there are no 7003 retail SKUs that use 5 cores per CCD, but there are two that use 7 cores. This implies there's a custom SKU or three out there running 5 core CCDs for a total of 20/30/40 cores!)

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
Do we know what motherboard they used at least? I messaged a vendor asking what model they used but language barrier got me just "7003 motherboard, you have to update BIOS though"
no reply so far. if you get it working you have to live with missing funtions. only 29 PCIe lanes and whatever more.
the dest. motherboard is the EPYC northdome.

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
Gigabyte Mz32 supports Milan AGESA 1.0.0. A, just like the 8030, but it cannot light up. It's strange, is there a big god to solve the problem
keep in mind the 7D13 lack PCIe lanes, what if the lane to the BMC is not there ?

upalachango

May 28, 2023
keep in mind the 7D13 lack PCIe lanes, what if the lane to the BMC is not there ?
Do you know if the lack of PCIe lanes is a limitation of the CPU or just mobo incompatibility. PCIe lanes are a major selling point for Epyc so seems weird they'd cut them out.