ASUS KRPA-U16 full BIOS dump request

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

yesoos

Mar 10, 2020
PL
Hi, I need full (256mb) bios chip dump for that motherboard , best to be pre-release version 0301 or first release 0302 (because I use ES Rome Epyc) but any newer could be also good . If any of you could provide maybe I could resurrect my mobo . 1000x Thanks

Last edited:

yesoos

Mar 10, 2020
PL
It's capsule file and it's 128mb in size, I extracted image from it with UefiTool , flashed directly to chip (flashing procedure erased entire chip before, I guess there was something on the rest of the W25Q256JVF chip which is 256mb), Now I have post code 25 which means : Cannot find BIOS directory. The history of bricking it is that ES epyc (zs1406e2vjug5_22/14_n) is working only on these bios numbers as mentioned, upgrading will also give other post number that you cannot boot normally , downgrading using BMC's webgui to older won't help. Asus support also didn't help. I found bios code explanations on epyc rack servers (having the same motherboard installed) manual because there is lack of this info in motherboard KRPA manual https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/server/RS500A-10/Manual/E15632_RS500A-E10_Series_UM_WEB.pdf - page 1-13

Last edited:

ari2asem

Dec 26, 2018
The Netherlands, Groningen
did you read the manual to recover failed bios flash? page 4-2

use usb2 bootable stick in fat16 or fat32 format file system, do not use usb3 stick.

but read the manual, page 4-2

ari2asem

Dec 26, 2018
do you have physycal access to your mainboard? or are you connected to it via bmc/ipmi?

it shouldn't be that hard to recover bad bios flash if you follow the manual....just read the manual !!!!

yesoos

Mar 10, 2020
PL
I opened case at Asus support , for two weeks we had been trying different things, they even released BMC firmware on-demand , because of bug I noticed. Yes, it's hard.

Brainbug

Jul 5, 2015
I've got a KRPA on 0302 still (working with the same ES). I can try and pull the entire chip with a test clip, but you would probably need to flash it the same way, as I doubt the iKVM would accept the full image. **EDIT: It looks like the KRPA has an SPI pin header right next to the WinBond BIOS chip. This should make it a touch easier than trying to connect a test clip**

Do you have access to a chip flasher (CH341 or similar)?

Last edited:
Reactions: yesoos

yesoos

Mar 10, 2020
PL
Hi, I'm in contact with our friend from forum, time's hard, I do not want to push him, we are close to read the flash.

craig5571

May 31, 2020
I've got a KRPA on 0302 still (working with the same ES). I can try and pull the entire chip with a test clip, but you would probably need to flash it the same way, as I doubt the iKVM would accept the full image. **EDIT: It looks like the KRPA has an SPI pin header right next to the WinBond BIOS chip. This should make it a touch easier than trying to connect a test clip**

Do you have access to a chip flasher (CH341 or similar)?
@Quantum @Brainbug @yesoos what type of memory do you use on your asus krpa-u16 with bios 0302, useing a epyc 64 core ES? i need to get 256GB of ram , but i want to make sure the memory is correct. thank you

Gabber

Jun 19, 2020
Italy
@Quantum @Brainbug @yesoos what type of memory do you use on your asus krpa-u16 with bios 0302, useing a epyc 64 core ES? i need to get 256GB of ram , but i want to make sure the memory is correct. thank you
Hi @craig5571 I tried KSM32RD8/16MEI (16GB module) and M393A4K40DB3-CWE (32GB module) and both works perfectly with KRPA-U16 and ES ZS1406E2VJUG5 64 core (and Win10). Currently I'm using 8x samsung's.
I hope this could help you.

craig5571

May 31, 2020
Hi @craig5571 I tried KSM32RD8/16MEI (16GB module) and M393A4K40DB3-CWE (32GB module) and both works perfectly with KRPA-U16 and ES ZS1406E2VJUG5 64 core (and Win10). Currently I'm using 8x samsung's.
I hope this could help you.
@Gabber @Quantum @Brainbug @yesoos I have the KRPA-U16 motherboard, and i bought a preprogrammed bios chip with bios 3.02 on it because i have a EPYC zs1406e2vjug5 .
i bought it from this link

i asked for a krpa-u16 bios with 3.02 code this is what i was sent

just by looking at the board, it doesn't look like this is the right chip.. can anyone with an asus krpa-u16 board confirm this is the right bios chip?

here is a picture of my motherboard and bios chip, my question is . is the bios chip soldered onto the motherboard? and am i on the right chip..
and if i indeed need to get a bios flasher, can someone point me to one? thanks

ari2asem

Dec 26, 2018
@Gabber @Quantum @Brainbug @yesoos I have the KRPA-U16 motherboard, and i bought a preprogrammed bios chip with bios 3.02 on it because i have a EPYC zs1406e2vjug5 .
i bought it from this link

i asked for a krpa-u16 bios with 3.02 code this is what i was sent

just by looking at the board, it doesn't look like this is the right chip.. can anyone with an asus krpa-u16 board confirm this is the right bios chip?

here is a picture of my motherboard and bios chip, my question is . is the bios chip soldered onto the motherboard? and am i on the right chip..
and if i indeed need to get a bios flasher, can someone point me to one? thanks

i guess you are mistaken what the bios chip is on your board. i think your bios chip is one of my markings: red, blue or green.

asus uses mostly (not always) socket-ed bios-chips. but it could happen that this board has soldered bios chip.....