Asus KNPA-U16 with Rome 7502 QS does not boot

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

EagerToLearn

Feb 25, 2020
Hello,

I am building a system for a friend of mine consisting of a KNPA-U16 and a 7502 QS.

The green heartbeat LED does blink and the power led is green. The number on the bottom left just says 00, but the fans are spinning.

I already installed a Bios chip from this seller: BIOS CHIP ASUS KNPA-U16, KRPA-U16, PRIME H310M-C/PS R2.0,EX-B365M-V5,PRIME H310T | eBay but the code is still stuck at 00. If it were to boot it is my understanding that the numbers would change during the boot process.

Do you have any ideas what I could do?

E: Whats interesting: The GPU fan does not spin. So only the case fans spin. After about 60 seconds the fan goes out and does not go on again if restartet. Power supply has to be switched off/on an then it will start spinning again...

Thanks

Last edited:

EagerToLearn

Feb 25, 2020
I have been able to acces IPMI, but haven't found the option yet to find out which BIOS version is installed.The VSoc was displayed as 1.10 (which is a little to high according to the sofware).

Last edited:

legopc

Nov 2, 2014
The Netherlands
I think a little more information about the system would help. You mention a voltage issue with the SOC(CPU) but we dont know what PSU you have or how the other values are. What other troubleshooting steps have you taken? I usually boot the system without memory to see if it gives any sign of life or stays like this. If for example, it starts beeping like a mad lad then there is a good chance its a memory issue or something after memory initialization. If it stays silent and there is no change in behaviour then look for motherboard or CPU.

Reactions: EagerToLearn

EagerToLearn

Feb 25, 2020
Thanks, I just tried a different power supply, but still does not boot (PSU is a Corsair RM1000X). I will remove the memory and try again, thx for the tip.

E: Can I perform a biosupdate without the CPU working?

EagerToLearn

Feb 25, 2020
Removed all the memories, nothing has changed.

My suspision is, that the seller flashed the wrong/old bios on the chip.

Last edited:

68k-dude

Jan 2, 2020
Hello @EagerToLearn o/

Post 00 is can be pretty bad. It means it isn't starting the boot process.

Power supply, voltage rails, clocks, stuck in reset and a flat CMOS battery and many other things can all cause a 00.

Have you got a known good CPU ? Is the socket OK, no bent or squashed pins?

You say you can see the Voltages in the IPMI, Are they all reading something?

Looking at the manual this board has a Bios Flash back feature.

Do you have the Server Management Board manual?

There are details of how to update the firmwares in the manual

Good luck

EagerToLearn

Feb 25, 2020
Hello @68k-dude :)

Thanks a lot for all the tips, I will try them (From the top of my had, the other voltages were all ok, but I will check again).

Last edited:

DIF-Ops

Jul 21, 2020
Hello @68k-dude :)

Thanks a lot for all the tips, I will try them (From the top of my had, the other voltages were all ok, but I will check again).
Do you have any updates on this? I'm actually working with Asus who was supposed to send me an updated board but ended up sending me a random replacement (with same issues). I asked support if they updated the BIOS and they then said they'll send me another board.

DIF-Ops

Jul 21, 2020
The same one, the KNPA-U16 and with a Rome processor. I purchased the board brand new, but with same symptoms as you: The Red 00 when booting and no post.

Asus Tech Support advised I send it in for a Bios update but the repair facility sent me back a different board, I assumed it had an updated bios but its having the same exact issue. The Asus Service Repair Report stated "Swap directly & no repair due to RMA service policy". Even though the case number stated I just needed a Bios update.

Asus tech support could not verify if the replaced board had it's bios updated and are advising I send it back. Quite a frustrating experience. Just curious if you have gotten this taken care of.

Thanks.

EagerToLearn

Feb 25, 2020
I meant which PCB Version of the board?

I sent my in as well, but haven't heard back yet. Do you know, that you could try and flash the new BIOS via IMPI (even without the CPU)?

DIF-Ops

Jul 21, 2020
I was not aware you could flash the board without a CPU. Apparently Tech Support is unaware too because they didn't mention it. Do you have documentation on this and does it void the warranty?

DIF-Ops

Jul 21, 2020
Good to know, I'll have to research the IMPI feature as I haven't used it before.

Thanks,

EagerToLearn

Feb 25, 2020
I may be using the term IMPI wrong. I found the feature in the web surface (when entering the Computer IP in the browser) and there was such a feature.

DIF-Ops

Jul 21, 2020
I first had to update the System Firmware, file name was "KAU16134.ima" and that went fine and it rebooted.

Then followed the directions from the PDF titled "KNPA-U16_Naples to ROME update BIOS SOP.pdf". These directions state to get to the Rome Processor is a 2 bios update process.

Unfortunately, I can't get pass the first step using the ASMB9-IKVM web utility. It uploads just fine but after a while I'll get the following message "BIOS version did not match required. System and upload both need at least version not support this model".

As you can see from the image below, my existing BIOS version is 0403, this is the version that the board shipped with when it came out.

I'm attempting to update to 0901. The directions state after updating to 0901 to then update to KNPA-U16-R-ASUS-0402.CAP. The directions also state when to change from the Naples processor to the Rome so not sure if a Naples is required of if I can just do this via the web utility. It would be nice if I could do this without needing a Naples because all I have is a Rome Processor.

asusbioserror.jpg

DIF-Ops

Jul 21, 2020
It looks like a working CPU is required for a Bios update. So that's why I'm getting the error.

It's just great to see that Asus tech support took my brand new board and sent me a refurb board with the oldest possible bios on it.

EagerToLearn

Feb 25, 2020
Which Board Version do you have? According to the manual the newest one requires one greater than 1.03 I think

DIF-Ops

Jul 21, 2020
I was able to update the board without the CPU, it's the Bios that can't be updated without the CPU.