Asus KNPA-U16 BIOS update Naples->Rome

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

c3l3x

May 1, 2020
I got an Asus KNPA-U16 today for my Rome Epyc processor. I'm able to power it on and get the iKVM going (and log in via the maintenance Ethernet port), but the board does not POST. It has the Naples 902 BIOS on it. There's a BIOS and SOP for updating on the Asus website, but it involves using a Naples CPU to flash a bridge BIOS then put in a Rome CPU and flash a Rome BIOS.

I don't have a Naples CPU just sitting around. I tried to flash the bridge and Rome (402) BIOS via the iKVM, but it gave me an error of a Baseboard ID mismatch. Suggestions?

Last edited:

chrisk2305

Jan 25, 2017
I am in a similar situation. I "accidentally" flashed the Rome Bios and actually have a naples CPU installed. Now Board won't post (QCODE 00). I cannot revert to earlier BIOS because of the above mentioned Baseboard ID mismatch. Any ideas? Thanks!

c3l3x

May 1, 2020
I am in a similar situation. I "accidentally" flashed the Rome Bios and actually have a naples CPU installed. Now Board won't post (QCODE 00). I cannot revert to earlier BIOS because of the above mentioned Baseboard ID mismatch. Any ideas? Thanks!
lol. You're in the opposite situation of me. We should just swap boards.

I tried a lot of things with no luck, like various methods of flashing via the BMC. When I ran out of ideas, I opened a support ticket with Asus tech support. They've been very slow to reply. In their first reply they said that the board doesn't support Rome processors, despite having a Rome BIOS on their firmware page and a SOP of how to update from Naples to Rome. Since then I've exchanged several messages with them, but they haven't been able to provide a solution. They've referred it to their product engineers. I am waiting on answer.

In parallel, I decided to order a BIOS chip with the Rome 402 BIOS programmed on it. It was like $12. There's an eBay seller in the Netherlands that provides those. It will take a week or two to get here.

If I get an answer from Asus, I'll post it here. Also, I'll update on the BIOS chip and if it works. If I go the new BIOS chip route, you can have my BIOS chip if you want. I won't need it.

ari2asem

Dec 26, 2018
The Netherlands, Groningen
it seems it has socketed bios chip (according the pictures on the website). easy to install. just swap chips, no soldering like supermicro boards.

but my question: is it really socketed chips?? are those pictures on the website reliable??

c3l3x

May 1, 2020
it seems it has socketed bios chip (according the pictures on the website). easy to install. just swap chips, no soldering like supermicro boards.

but my question: is it really socketed chips?? are those pictures on the website reliable??
Yup, it's socketed. Another reason to avoid SM boards and go with another brandIMG_0552.jpeg

Last edited:

c3l3x

May 1, 2020
Update: Asus tech support has been no help. However, I did receive the BIOS chip from the eBay seller in the Netherlands with the 402 BIOS on it. I swapped it for the one that came with the board, and it works!! :)

IMG_0581.jpeg

Reactions: ari2asem