Asus Hyper m.2 x16

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

ReturnedSword

Jun 15, 2018
Santa Monica, CA
@Perry It looks like your X10DAi doesn't support quad bifurcation. I can't find the exact documentation stating this, but I'm inferring this from the board not being validated for the AOC-SLG3-4E4R, which is a 4x4x4x4 bifurcation card. However your board is validated for the AOC-SLG3-2M2 which is a 4x4 PCIe x8 bifurcation card. In this case, try moving the M.2 drives to a different location on your Hyper M.2. You may get the drives to work in another port position.

StevenDTX

Aug 17, 2016
I can’t get one of these cards to work in an X9DR3-F. All three x16 slots have x4x4x4x4 bifurcation option in bios, but only the nvme in slot one is ever seen.

I guess the only other option I can try is the AOC-SHG3-4M2P

Netwerkz101

Dec 27, 2015
there are no drivers. That said, from what I’ve read others who’s use this card also see the missing driver errors.

...unless the drivers are for the NVME drives themselves and not the adapter? Do NVME drives typically require a driver? I was under the impression these would show up as just another unformatted disk.
The Hypercard itself should not need a driver as its just splitting up x16 to 4 x x4 electrically.
If Windows 7 cannot ID your add-on devices, something will need to tell Windows what the device is and how to talk to it (driver).

Did Windows 7 know about NVME drives at release? I can't remember that far back. ;)

Netwerkz101

Dec 27, 2015
@Perry It looks like your X10DAi doesn't support quad bifurcation. I can't find the exact documentation stating this, but I'm inferring this from the board not being validated for the AOC-SLG3-4E4R, which is a 4x4x4x4 bifurcation card. However your board is validated for the AOC-SLG3-2M2 which is a 4x4 PCIe x8 bifurcation card. In this case, try moving the M.2 drives to a different location on your Hyper M.2. You may get the drives to work in another port position.
Interesting you mention this .... I never looked at the manual as OP said he configured slot for x4x4x4x4 which i took to mean bifurcation is available/working.

When I did look at manual, it does not mention bifurcation type option in manual under advanced config/settings.

Found conflicting links:
FAQ Entry | Online Support | Support - Super Micro Computer, Inc.
^^ says does not support bifurcation

FAQ Entry | Online Support | Support - Super Micro Computer, Inc.
^^ Infers it does/may support it (maybe the add on card does it??)

Even if bifurcation is not supported, at least one NVMe drive should work via the Hypercard
using the first set of 4 lanes.

EDIT ... maybe not ... doing some testing on a Dell PET30...hmm

EDIT #2 .. ok .. put a single NVMe drive in slot1 on the Asus Hypercard and stuck it
in the x16 slot on my PET30 and it shows up fine in Windows 10.
The PowerEdge T30 does not support bifurcation.

What made me do a doubletake was I had 3 NVMe drives on the Hypercard the first time I tested and none of them were seen in BIOS (ie no boot options or in system info).

Last edited:
Reactions: Perry

Netwerkz101

Dec 27, 2015

Perry

Sep 22, 2016
Hmm. What's weird is that the BIOS definitely lets me set x4x4x4x4 bifurcation, and when I reboot and drop into the BIOS, its correctly seeing the two slots where the NVME cards are, and stating that they're each running at x4 speed.

I guess in this machine we could put in a dual NVME card and bigger drives, but that's a lot more expensive. We need a minimum of 4TB ultimately, because this has to cache tens of thousands of DPX image files, which can be as big as 100MB each.

When building our next machine, which I'd also do on a Supermicro, where should I look to be absolutely sure this will work?

As for Windows 10, it's potentially an option, but we're running some software on this that's pretty specialized and we are out of our support contract. So a Windows 10 upgrade will require a $2500 support contract renewal to get the latest version of the software. We're trying to avoid that.

Perry

Sep 22, 2016
Lesson learned: Modern Widnows or Linux OS will likely have NVMe support inbox - no drama.
Go modern!
Thanks - I'll give this a shot. We'd rather not update this machine to Win 10 because of the software it runs. We're using an older version and to get the new version we'd need to spend a couple grand to renew our support contract, just to download it. So if we can make this work under Win 7, that's the preference.

[EDIT] - this worked! The missing driver icon in the Device manager was gone upon reboot and the two NVME drives appear in the Disk Manager and can be formatted. So the next test is to try a third NVME in there to see if the motherboard supports it or not. but for now, we should be able to proceed with our other tests. Thanks!

Last edited:

StevenDTX

Aug 17, 2016
Just for documentation sake, the Asus Hyper M.2, with three NVMe drives, works just fine on my X10SRA-F.

That free'd up a AOC-SLG3-2M2 that I am going to try in my X9DR3-F.

edge

Apr 22, 2013
Just tried to install the Asus Hyper M.2 V2 in slot 1 of an SM X9DA7 with bios bifurcation set to x4x4x4x4 with 2 samsung 983 DCT 960GB m.2. No joy in Mudville. OS (ws2019) doesn't even see any samsung controller, much less an nvme drive.

I don't need boot support, just wanted the drives. <sigh>

never easy.

May 20, 2020
I have the V2 in an X9SRL-F, I'm able to see all 4 slots.
Necrotyr, can you provide more details please on how were you able to see all 4 slots? I have the same MB, 3.3 BIOS. While I have not tried all possible permutations of slots and settings, I can only see slots 1 and 2 on the card. Can you share what slot it is in and the BIOS bifurcation settings? I did not see a way to set a single slot to 4x4x4x4 which is what I assume is required?

This is kind of what I expected since the MB is advertised as having all 8x slots electrically.