EU Asus Hyper M.2 v2 £34

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

nikalai

Oct 26, 2018
I would buy this but i don't know if it will work with Supermicro X11SSM-F. Four X4 lanes are needed?

Thank you,

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
I assume that depends on how you want to use it - from the manual it can run on a x8 or a x16 slot and then bifurcate to 4* x4 or 2*x4;
so for max drives you do need a x16 slot.

I too wonder whether it would run on non Asus boards - I had a Asus Hyperkit (single M2 to U2 adapter) that didnt want to run in my X10SDV, so I am not trusting Asus to be in alignment with standards on this one either...

Reactions: nikalai

sparx

Jul 16, 2015
Sweden
Asus Hyperkit (single M2 to U2 adapter) that didnt want to run in my X10SDV...
I had the same issue. But also ran with a MSI Turbo U.2 that worked well instead. The difference was that the MSI has a PCIe buffer chip that makes the PCIe work longer distances. The issue might be that the specific M.2 port is configured to have week drive strength over PCIe for only M.2 devices. And putting 1m cable there just makes the margins too weak for PCIe to work.

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
Hm maybe, another M2 adapter did work fine for me too. Back then I read a lot of incompatibility reports for that particular kit, but maybe all had this particular root cause.

sparx

Jul 16, 2015
Sweden
Or some other signal that was missing. The thing with this specific board is that there is no PCIe switch in between. There are other designs that work more generally with 4pcs M.2.
This board might only work with specific motherboard designs. As all devices connected needs PCIe clock, reset and of course the normal PCIe signals to work. But its standard to only put one clock and reset signal for each PCIe connector. Since normally only one device is used. And for other cases a PCIe switch component is needed/used.

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
Yes the original (now v1) card was working fine from what I heard, but this is the v2 and I have not heard of that. But not been in the market to be honest so didnt look for any reviews.
Probably should just pass this, don't really need it :p

nikalai

Oct 26, 2018
For an SUPERMICRO X9DRD-7LN4F-JBOD do i need a PCI express riser? This old board doesn't have X16 slot.

Last edited:

nikalai

Oct 26, 2018
Thank you sir. I ordered one. I id doesn't work with my X11SSM-F I will use it on my gaming rig. :)
I will give feedback.

sparx

Jul 16, 2015
Sweden
Well. For the X11SSM-F it wont work. Since that doesnt have any x16.
Or. It might work. But with a maximum of 2 M.2 drives. If you set bifurcation to x4x4.
(edited)

nikalai

Oct 26, 2018
I have two 970 Pro's (512GB). I will test it with them.
Regarding old board, sorry, it was my mistake. Actually it's a X9DRD-7LN4F-JBOD.

Regards,

itronin

Nov 24, 2018
Denver, Colorado
For an SUPERMICRO X9DRD-7LN4F-JBOD do i need a PCI express riser? This old board doesn't have X16 slot.
IIRC correctly PCIE bifurcation 4x4 works in some slots but not all on the X9DRD. I have successfully used the SM dual m.2 card on this board in a couple and again memory serves the BIOS menu did not allow me to configure any x8 into x4x4. You need to be on the latest BIOS for bifurcation. I suspect that that using a riser you'd probably be able to get 2 of the 4 m.2 slots to work but I have not tested that. I ordered this card yesterday (I am in the US) before it went on sale in the EU - however Yesterday US AMZ dropped the price a few $ on the AMZ stocked and sold card.