Assistance with Restoring Intel NIC Firmware

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

MoMeanMugs

Apr 16, 2018
I am trying to update all my quad port Intel x710's using the latest firmware off Intel's site, which is 8.30. The first two machines went okay. The third one gave me a message that a reboot was needed to continue the flashing process, so I rebooted. Now the NIC is hosed. Will note that the fourth machine gave me the same reboot message, but since I already experienced the same thing on the third machine, I ran the command again without rebooting first, which was successful.

Now I'm trying to figure out how to recover the botched flash on the NIC that is no longer working (now has drive code 10 in device manager). I made a backup of the original firmware, which seems good, but I can't find a way to flash it back onto the card. The nvmupdatew64e utility (doing this in a Windows command prompt) looks for the EEPID to match before it will flash. Since mine is now blank, the flash fails to do anything. I don't see a way to force a flash. I've also tried BOOTUTILW64E to flash back on the FLB file that was saved from the original firmware, but that doesn't work either.

The current state:
Code:
Intel(R) Ethernet Flash Firmware Utility
BootUtil version 1.7.32.7
Copyright (C) 2003-2021 Intel Corporation

Port Network Address Location Series  WOL Flash Firmware                Version
==== =============== ======== ======= === ============================= =======
  1   (Cannot initialize adapter)
  2   000000000000   175:00.1 40GbE   N/A FLASH Not Present
  3   000000000000   175:00.2 40GbE   N/A FLASH Not Present
  4   000000000000   175:00.3 40GbE   N/A FLASH Not Present
Any ideas on how to recover this NIC, or is it scrap? I'd have to check if it's still under warranty to get an RMA.