ASRockRack's first Epyc effort

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

EffrafaxOfWug

Radioactive Member
Feb 12, 2015
Saw once again that ASRock had updated their server page with the "2018 catalogue" PDF. Interestingly it contains an entry for what is I think their first AMD server platform board, dubbed the EPYCD8-2T. It's a 1P ATX board with 2x10GbE (or another option with 2x1GbE), 4xPCIe 3.0 16x, 8x SATA ports, 2x M2 ports.

Page 43:
http://www.asrockrack.com/general/Catalog2018.pdf

Of course, being ASRock it's another story if we actually see any of these in the retail channel but I thought other readers might find it interesting and gives me hope they might come out with an Epyc 3000 mITX before the heat death of the universe :)

TomUK

Aug 30, 2017
That board looks great - hopefully we will see them hit the channel in the next few months

alex_stief

May 31, 2016
I already asked them a few months ago if they had any plans for dual-socket Epyc boards. They confirmed, really looking forward to replacing my Supermicro board when that happens.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
A few points. I saw this on the wall in the ASRR booth. I will get something up over the next few days.

On the EPYC 3000, not from ASRR, and not something for a general purpose server, but I did open a machine, tear off a heatsink in a Computex booth to find a system with a single die EPYC 3000. It is happening.

diskdiddler

Mar 3, 2017
It's a start.

ASRock and super micro are the only two companies who will likely offer the products I'm after.

e97

Jun 3, 2015
EPYCD8 looking really nice. Pinged ASRock Rack about availaibity and pricing.

balnazzar

Mar 6, 2019
I have the EPYCD8-2T with a 7282. I just built the system, but it seems solid (for now).

Bought it over Supermicro since I needed 4 16x slots and two m.2 sockets.

The docs are a bit wanting if I am to be honest though. There are tons of AMD specific settings in the BIOS, all of them undocumented or poorly documented. I had to leave everithing to default, but maybe there is lot of room for optimizing.

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
I have the EPYCD8-2T with a 7282. I just built the system, but it seems solid (for now).

Bought it over Supermicro since I needed 4 16x slots and two m.2 sockets.

The docs are a bit wanting if I am to be honest though. There are tons of AMD specific settings in the BIOS, all of them undocumented or poorly documented. I had to leave everithing to default, but maybe there is lot of room for optimizing.
Have you found a way to configure the RAM Speed in the BIOS? I can't find it anywhere.

balnazzar

Mar 6, 2019
Have you found a way to configure the RAM Speed in the BIOS? I can't find it anywhere.
Frankly I noticed that but I had the impression that server-grade motherboards just auto-configure the ram speed and latencies strictly following the SPD. I think that they prevent the user from tinkering with them *on purpose*. I may be wrong though: I am a total noob with server boards..

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
Frankly I noticed that but I had the impression that server-grade motherboards just auto-configure the ram speed and latencies strictly following the SPD. I think that they prevent the user from tinkering with them *on purpose*. I may be wrong though: I am a total noob with server boards..
Yea that's not the case. I had the SuperMicro H11SSL-NC board before this board and RAM speed was configurable in there.

balnazzar

Mar 6, 2019
Yea that's not the case. I had the SuperMicro H11SSL-NC board before this board and RAM speed was configurable in there.
You just demonstrated I have little or no knowledge of server-grade hardware. Maybe it could be worth to send a mail to Asrock Tech Support...