Asrockrack X470D4U BMC self test status FAILED

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

slotdime

Jul 31, 2020
Hi, *
I bought another X470D4U for my home server (already installed one at a customer site).

When I couldn't get an ip from bmc (thus no access to it) went to bios config to check if it comes
configured with an interface failover : it does and didn't found where to split them.

As motherboard came with BIOS v 3.30, I upgraded to v 3.50, by downloading and copying to a pendrive .
The same message "BMC self test status FAILED" persists on the "Server Mgmt" tab on bios config.

Operating system is installed and running happily (debian 11(bullseye)/amd64) .

Any clue is welcome.

Regards

slotdime

Jul 31, 2020
Well, it's kind of "lack of experience" problem. I don't build computers since ages.....

The rear UID LED button was stuck, as the motherboard and the back panel did not fit exactly as I'd hoped.

Thanks to Asrock Rack support for the heads up .

Regards.

Reactions: herby

terry wong

May 27, 2017
may i know what do you mean by rear UID LED button was stuck? i am having the same problem when building a new system with X470D4U2-2T (my 3rd one).

slotdime

Jul 31, 2020
When I placed the motherboard into the case, everything seemed to be fit. After booting I noticed that the BMC version
in the main window of the BIOS was blank.
After exchanging mails with Asrockrack they pointed me in that direction.

So I pulled the motherboard out and booted again: it worked fine ..

After placiing the motherboard into the case, the was problem with the UID led, which actually is a button .
I guess the UID led it's used to identify the server on the rack. You can turn it on from BMC/IPMI interface to find it or you get into the
back of the rack an push it to get the server identified on your BMC/IPMI .

After fiddling with the placement of the motherboard into the case to avoid the UID led button got stucked on the rear panel
(the one that comes with the motherboard) again , all went fine .

Regards

slotdime

Jul 31, 2020
AFAIK user and password is the same: admin

From the manual:
"The default login information for the IPMI web interface is:
Username: admin
Password: admin
For more instructions on how to set up remote control environment and use the IPMI man-
agement platform, please refer to the IPMI Configuration User Guide or go to the Support
website at: ASRock Rack"

Regards

RMO_BE

Aug 23, 2022
Well, it's kind of "lack of experience" problem. I don't build computers since ages.....

The rear UID LED button was stuck, as the motherboard and the back panel did not fit exactly as I'd hoped.

Thanks to Asrock Rack support for the heads up .

Regards.
I made an account just to chime in here and thank you for pointing me in the right direction.

I had the exact same issue on the ASRock Rack X570D4U-2L2T . After scratching my head and troubleshooting for a bit, I came across your post, looked at the rear I/O panel and sure enough, the UID button was squished between the motherboard and the rear I/O plate, causing it to constantly be pressed. After un-mounting and re-mounting the motherboard and making sure the button was free, the BMC / IPMI came back to life.

heacu

Jan 28, 2022
Wow! This was exactly my problem, too, with ASRock Rack's ROME2D16-2T. The BMC self-test was failing, and no Mac address was shown for BMC in the BIOS. I think I remember wondering at some point why there was always a little blue light coming from the rear I/O panel, but I didn't bother to inquire further. After reading this post, I found that lo and behold, the UID button was stuck on. After re-seating the motherboard, ensuring that the button was pressable, the light went off and the BMC fired up!

For laughs, here's what the ROME2D16-2T manual says about the UID Identification:

With the UID button, You are able to locate the server you’re working on from behind a rack of servers. Unit Identification purpose LED/Switch (UID1): When the UID button on the front or rear panel is pressed, the front/rear UID blue LED indicator will be turned on. Press the UID button again to turn off the indicator.
Top marks to anyone who can figure out from this that leaving the button permanently pressed would disrupt the BMC!

moogoos

Apr 21, 2023
Oh man. I signed up also to thank you for this. Just got a brand new EPYC build and the BMC kept showing as "Unkown", not a typo. Then the BIOS would boot into MFG mode. The server still booted and I was able to install but I couldn't get the BMC to work and I couldn't flash it. Here's a picture to show just how close it was and f'n up the setup. Love STH youtube anyway so glad to sign up.

asrock rack, epyc, bios, MFG mode, ROMED8QM-2T amd sp3

Attachments