Asrockrack X470D4U and zen3 / Ryzen 5900X support

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

netswitch

Sep 24, 2018
Hello

I was convinced that I read somewhere that a lab bios was available for the X470D4U to support Zen3 CPU and more specifically the Ryzen 5900X.
I can't find it anywhere.
I know the X570D4U has had one as we have some of them aldready running zen3 cpu but did I dreamt the X470D4U had one too ?

netswitch

Sep 24, 2018
Indeed :)
I had in between found a link to the file on level1 tech but it was only 4.02Jn the one in the beta zone is more recent :)
Thanks !

netswitch

Sep 24, 2018
Follow up : I updated with bios 4.02J and it boots ok with Ryzen 5900X but IPMI is behaving strange, power state is not correctly asserted and systems seems to freeze randomly, lots of " FRB3/Processor Startup/Initialization failure - Asserted " errors in the ipmi log.

Reverting back to original bios and using 3900X, all back to normal, so I ll wait for an official bios.

lostmind

Jan 5, 2013
yah my experience with asrocks beta bios was so bad it broke the IPMI completely. Trying to rma now.

w0mbl3

Aug 13, 2013
Sydney, Oz
Yeah this beta bios made me consider upgrading to ryzen 3 as my x470d4u has been running a 1700 since I got it.. instead I decided to just play it stable, and went with a 3900x.

netswitch

Sep 24, 2018
Quick bump : has anybody been able to run 5900X on the X470D4u with some stability ?
The beta bios is still the same and there was no "official / stable" release since then...

Tom S

Jan 31, 2017
Quick bump : has anybody been able to run 5900X on the X470D4u with some stability ?
The beta bios is still the same and there was no "official / stable" release since then...
I came here to ask the same question.

Mine has been completely stable with a 3950X for a year. I have a spare 5950X that I'd like to drop in to this board, but I've been hesitant to make the switch until I see more success stories with the 5950X on this board.

destroptor

Jul 1, 2021
I've gotten my hands on the 4.10 bios version, and will be testing with a 5900X in the coming days. I am running the 10G NIC version of the mobo though.

destroptor

Jul 1, 2021
Any update?
Well... It has not been a cakewalk. Updating the Bios and all went smoothly, and the first boot was also fine.

I am running proxmox, and I am now experiencing random system crashes. I can't seem to find the culprit, but I am almost certain the CPU and BIOS update is not to blame. I changed out a fair bit of hardware along with the CPU and I can't seem to figure out if my GPU is causing the system to crash or my ZFS pool.

Nevertheless, when the system is not randomly crashing, I have tried to run it as hard as I can, with plex transcoding, gaming, and other VM's with CPU intense workloads and it handles it very well.

I Will update if I eventually find the problem.

destroptor

Jul 1, 2021
after pulling all my hair out, and messing with this for over two weeks, I found that the reason the system was unstable was the heat. It turns out that watercooling the GPU and the CPU results in insufficient airflow over the mobo itself, especially the VRM.

My 5900X (105W TDP) is an upgrade over a 3600 (60W TDP) and earlier I was running the system in a Supermicro rack case.

So the change in airflow (from the old Supermicro case to a Define 7), and the unusually hot summer temperatures where I live, resulted in this weird behavior.

Simply shoving a desk fan into the case, solved the random crashes.

So all in all, the system runs stable and the added perfomance of Zen3 is really worth it. So if you have good airflow in your case, get the P4.10 BIOS when it's available on their website and upgrade to a Zen3 chip.

Reactions: ttvd

windowsxp811203

Aug 2, 2021
after pulling all my hair out, and messing with this for over two weeks, I found that the reason the system was unstable was the heat. It turns out that watercooling the GPU and the CPU results in insufficient airflow over the mobo itself, especially the VRM.

My 5900X (105W TDP) is an upgrade over a 3600 (60W TDP) and earlier I was running the system in a Supermicro rack case.

So the change in airflow (from the old Supermicro case to a Define 7), and the unusually hot summer temperatures where I live, resulted in this weird behavior.

So all in all, the system runs stable and the added perfomance of Zen3 is really worth it. So if you have good airflow in your case, get the P4.10 BIOS when it's available on their website and upgrade to a Zen3 chip.
i have same problem with this ,when i exec xmr miner only 1 sec server will power off until i power off whole server ...

ramblinreck47

Aug 3, 2019

I just grabbed a used X470D4U to test with my 5600X. I updated the BIOS to the only beta BIOS available on their website: 4.21. I’m going to try and see if it’s stable enough for Unraid tonight. Hopefully, it works.

Is the P4.10 BIOS you have newer than the 4.21 on the website? If it’s newer and better, I’ll try and see if I can locate it and try that version instead.

destroptor

Jul 1, 2021
Is the P4.10 BIOS you have newer than the 4.21 on the website? If it’s newer and better, I’ll try and see if I can locate it and try that version instead.
I just realized by looking at both boards on their website, that they dont have the same BIOS versions. The P4.10 is for the 10gbit NIC version (X470D4U2-2T), so the 4.21 BIOS is not available for my board. I hope it will work for you.

ramblinreck47

Aug 3, 2019
Update: Running my Ryzen 5 5600X on the X470D4U with BETA BIOS P4.21 and 2 x 16GB ECC RAM (KSM32ED8/16ME)...Everything seems to be going fine. I have UnRAID up and and running overnight and no lockups or issues that I can see. I'll give it another day or so and then I'll go ahead and get my X570D4U-2L2T ready to sell.

nukke

Aug 5, 2021
Update: Running my Ryzen 5 5600X on the X470D4U with BETA BIOS P4.21 and 2 x 16GB ECC RAM (KSM32ED8/16ME)...Everything seems to be going fine. I have UnRAID up and and running overnight and no lockups or issues that I can see. I'll give it another day or so and then I'll go ahead and get my X570D4U-2L2T ready to sell.
Are you selling X570 board because of issues or unneeded features?

I'm trying to decide whether it's worth getting the X570D4U(-2L2T) or just going for the X470D4U for my 5900X. Really the only thing missing from what I can tell is PCIe4.0 support.

I wish there was a proper breakdown of the components on these motherboards. I'm worried the VRMs would suffer even with a stock 5900X and I can't tell if there are any differences between the X470 and X570 boards.

ramblinreck47

Aug 3, 2019
Are you selling X570 board because of issues or unneeded features?

I'm trying to decide whether it's worth getting the X570D4U(-2L2T) or just going for the X470D4U for my 5900X. Really the only thing missing from what I can tell is PCIe4.0 support.

I wish there was a proper breakdown of the components on these motherboards. I'm worried the VRMs would suffer even with a stock 5900X and I can't tell if there are any differences between the X470 and X570 boards.
There’s nothing wrong with my X570D4U-2L2T. I just figured out that I don’t need 10Gbe, PCIE 4.0, or full speed NVME slots right now. The X470D4U is good enough for my wants and needs. I also like having the middle PCIE slot be x4 for flexibility.

nukke

Aug 5, 2021
There’s nothing wrong with my X570D4U-2L2T. I just figured out that I don’t need 10Gbe, PCIE 4.0, or full speed NVME slots right now. The X470D4U is good enough for my wants and needs. I also like having the middle PCIE slot be x4 for flexibility.
Do let know if/when you list the X570D4U-2L2T for sale. I am planning on integrating my main desktop into my Proxmox cluster and do a VFIO setup. My current board's IOMMU groups are terrible and the Xx70D4U fits the bill perfectly.