ASROCKRACK ROMED8-2T issues... :-(

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

csp-guy

Jun 26, 2019
Hungary, Budapest
Hi Guys,

i kindly ask some advice to resolve my problem.

I have got this motherbard, well constructed, lot of expanding oppurtunity... etc... i love it.

Hw config:

Storage: 128GB Sandisk X400 ssd (boot), INtel s3700 800GB ssd, Intel optane 900P ssd, 2 optical drive.
VGA: XFX R280X
Cooler: 14cm NOCTUA NH-U14S TR4-SP3 plus 1 extra fan attached.
RAM: 2x32GB
BIOS/BMC: Latest
CPU: Epyc 7551
PSU: 850W Gold rated Seasonic FOCUS-GX-850
Displays connected: 3 monitors, 2xDVI, 1xhdmi.
UPS: APC Smart UPS 1500

I have cooler in front intake of the storage devices, i have 2 extra coolers blowing out the air from the cpu, and from inside the chassis. The incoming air is filtered by sponges (factory installed).

The cpu temp is 30 C in normal condition, in full load it is 42 C.

My problems:
- 2 times of 3 time when I turn on the pc, all cooler starts to work loudly, and I wont get BIOS screen -> no boot etc.
When I turn off, and on again, the coolers will be less loud and BIOS screen is visible ->everything is fine.

- When I put jumper 26/27 to 2-3 position instead of defult position (1-2), I get W10 BSOD hardware error loop.
This jumper setting disables PCI-E slot 2 and all oculink and M2NVME port and MINIHD2 port will be active. I wanted to use the 2nd SATA port group.

The PSU is good, it is new, and this has been used in my previous PC, it is not overloaded.

I wrote a support mail to asrockrack, but i try to get some information if its possible.

Thank you for your help.

Last edited:

piexil

Aug 26, 2019
- 2 times of 3 time when I turn on the pc, all cooler starts to work loudly, and I wont get BIOS screen -> no boot etc.
When I turn off, and on again, the coolers will be less loud and BIOS screen is visible ->everything is fine.
Is this BMC cold? Does the post code LED have a countdown going during this time? That sounds plausible

superempie

Sep 25, 2015
The Netherlands
Have you tried playing with 'OnBrd/Ext VGA Select' in the Advanced section of the BIOS?
I have the same board and CPU, but some other components. Had some weird issues when using a GTX 1080 with DisplayPort and no signal going to the monitor. Most of the time it didn't work with Win10 Pro booting of an USB stick. Didn't try HDMI. Card worked perfectly fine in another system right away.
Although not testing this fully, I eventually set it to VGA because I use it headless for now with ESXi 7.0.2 . KVM through IPMI webinterface works fine now. Never had the fan issue. Have the same jumper settings disabling PCI-E slot 2.

My experience so far is that the M.2_1 and M2_2 port on the motherboard and in the BIOS are switched. Also the fan control options in the manual are non-existent in my BIOS version. I am also on the latest for motherboard BIOS and BMC. Do you have them?

Last edited:

csp-guy

Jun 26, 2019
Hungary, Budapest
Have you tried playing with 'OnBrd/Ext VGA Select' in the Advanced section of the BIOS?
I have the same board and CPU, but some other components. Had some weird issues when using a GTX 1080 with DisplayPort and no signal going to the monitor. Most of the time it didn't work with Win10 Pro booting of an USB stick. Didn't try HDMI. Card worked perfectly fine in another system right away.
Although not testing this fully, I eventually set it to VGA because I use it headless for now with ESXi 7.0.2 . KVM through IPMI webinterface works fine now. Never had the fan issue. Have the same jumper settings disabling PCI-E slot 2.

My experience so far is that the M.2_1 and M2_2 port on the motherboard and in the BIOS are switched. Also the fan control options in the manual are non-existent in my BIOS version. I am also on the latest for motherboard BIOS and BMC. Do you have them?
Ok, i have some news.

My vga has been died during a loud noise. No marks of burning on PCB, i disassembled the whole unit.

I tested the PSU with tester, looking fine.

The system works fine on motherboard vga port plus windows driver.

I returned the PSU to the wholesaler for testing.

I need to buy a new VGA board.

Vene

Dec 23, 2021
I have
epyc 4701p
128GB samsung ram
Bios and BMC upgraded to latest.

I have the same issue. I try PCIE2 Selection Jumpers to set 12 and 23 wich should enable sata 4-7 and m2.2 but enable only m2.2, then I change it to 23 and 12 wich activate ocu and deactivate m2.2 and sata 4-7. On ocu not showing any sata disk. But when I set jumpers to 23 and 23 then on sata 4-7 disk shows but windows getting bluescreen just like you get it.
I try with or without gpu.
I send mail to asrcok but I get no answer from them.

ectoplasmosis

Jul 28, 2021
OCU is PCIe not Sata.
Some of our early versions of ROMED8-2T came with OcuLink to SATA cables in the box.

I’ve not had a reason to try them, no idea if they can be made to work with this particular board.

All later purchases of these boards (we have over 20x units) came with two SFF-8643 to 4x SATA breakout cables instead.

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
PCIe Expansion Slots (SLOT7 close to CPU)
PCIe x 16​
SLOT7: PCIe4.0 x16
SLOT6: PCIe4.0 x16
SLOT5: PCIe4.0 x16
SLOT4: PCIe4.0 x16
SLOT3: PCIe4.0 x16
SLOT2: PCIe4.0 x16 or PCIe4.0 x8 + 2 M.2+2 miniSASHD or no PCIe SLOT +2 OCuLink+2 M.2+2 miniSAS HD (by jumper)
SLOT1: PCIe4.0 x16

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
why getting blue screen on windows when disabling pciexpress 2 with jumpers to activate sas connectors and ocu link connectors.
set jumper and install Windows. change within a installed Windows result in major hardware/driver change BSOD.

Vene

Dec 23, 2021
set jumper and install Windows. change within a installed Windows result in major hardware/driver change BSOD.
Ok need to explain it to you more. Set jumper for no pciexpress slot 2 to activate 2 OCuLink+2 M.2+2 miniSAS HD (by jumper). Then plug all hdd and ssd on mother board with sas connector. All fine bios show sata drives. Succes! Plug in usb with windows 10 and get starting. It geting boot for instalation make to circle spins for start instalation but ops o noo there it is blue screen. I say ok maybe bad windows instalation, so I get windows server 2019. Plug usb in and it begin loading but wait! Blue screen again. I say, I will try with windows 11. But the blue screen here again. I took another brand new usb, oh here we go again blue screen. The windows instalation not even begun. Then i try linuks, ok it run perfect. And I wonder than what could possible be wrong. After some cpu and ram stess testing noting was wrong, I decide to install vmware esxi 7, all good, but when I try to instal virtual windows buum again bluesceeen. What could be wrong...
Then I move jumpre to disable ocu and activate pci ecpress slot 2 on x8 and sas connector wich activate ssd 4-7 and m2.2, and look at that no blue screen I can install windows. So I bought more sata disks and plug it on sas connector that is ssd 4-7, but no they are not detected in bios, no it is not defected cables and disks. But the only work when are fully deactivated pciexpress slot 2 and after that windows not working only blue screen.

Vene

Dec 23, 2021
I had a look at a RomeD8 and noticed damage that i find likely to also happen to others if handled without care.

I think that this kind of Damage could cause such crashes.
Missing resistor?? I do not know what is here missing or damaged on picture. I do not thik of thighten hole that can be damaged any think.

And now I notice some problems with not fully speed of pciexpress slots.

RageBone

Jul 11, 2017

Missing appears to be a small capacitor that is marked in RED.
This cap is one of two on a pair of traces that are probably half of a Sata or PCIe lane.
It missing will likely cause the Signal on that Lane to be not within specification.

I assume you will find Error messages being logged in Linux.
I can't say for sure if that is the cause of the Windows BSODs but i find it highly likely.

RageBone

Jul 11, 2017
yes, didn't write what it is because i was suddenly unsure what it was called.
They are standardized and their values depend on the PCIe generation.
If this is a Gen3 Lane, i could just grab one from a dead GPU but i think this might be Gen4 and i should desolder one cap and measure to make sure.
I would also then need to order new ones.

So for me it is not an issue.

Vene

Dec 23, 2021

This cap is one of two on a pair of traces that are probably half of a Sata or PCIe lane.
It missing will likely cause the Signal on that Lane to be not within specification.

I can't say for sure if that is the cause of the Windows BSODs but i find it highly likely.
I can not get it how would this happend? If I understand it happend when was scewed screw, if it happend with this I can not get it how.
In my case all looking good but mulfunction with jumper select. I am sending board RMA.

111alan

Mar 11, 2019
Haerbing Institution of Technology
Seems to be

Seems to be a coupling capacitor to the SFF-8643 port, this port will lose a lane due to this. The capacitance is usually 100-220nf with 0402 size. you can solder one yourself, just remember it must has the same capacity with the one near it.