AsrockRack EP2C602-4L/D16 windows 10 random hangs

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

paul inventome

Jun 17, 2016
Subject says it all but i'm looking for some advice as to how to go about troubleshooting this and the best way to narrow down issues.

That's the motherboard and on it are dual 2673W V1 with 114GB of Ram (two slots had dud dimms so until i get those replaced we're two dimms down). There's a GTX 1070 in there as well running off a 750GB SSD right now.

I'm at that stage of testing and installing.

But Windows 10 Pro seems to lock up and randomly reset, so this is worrying. The CPUs were pulled from a server and so used. So there's a possible problem. The dimms, the same. The MB is new though.

I've reinstalled windows 10 pro a few times and i've installed the INF drivers from the asrockrack website. These are the ones for Sandy Bridge

INF driver ver:9.4.0.1017. The support site doesn't list Windows 10 anywhere and the drivers on the intel site are much later - but they won't install, just errors but then they're generic.

I have latest nVidia drivers and the PCIe card is in slot 3, because slot 1 is an old PCI and slot2 means that the card would not fit because the card is big and it would not fit over the stuff at the edge of the motherboard. I believe this PCIe slot is still on CPU0

So what i need to determine is what's going on. Or how to troubleshoot - the resets sometimes are just a reset, no error. I did see an NMI error once.

My concern is the CPUs are not right or the memory is bad. But i've run aida64 and passmark and then stress tested. Yesterday i have resets with aida64 but today it's running okay, passmark stress tests ran okay as well.

This is a workstation, it's for Nuke/3D work and so on.

Any advice would be most appreciated!

thanks
Paul

paul inventome

Jun 17, 2016
What is the PowerSupply Size? Also what is the memory brand and specs?
PSU is 1000w a bequiet supply, should be plenty (i think - but how can i monitor that?)

The RAM is 10600R 8GB Modules ECC DDR3 1333MHz 09-10-E1-P1, seem to be HP based. Is there anything else about the RAM i need to supply?

thanks!
Paul

dicecca112

Feb 10, 2016
PSU should be fine. My thinking was maybe the RAM was not compatible. I know Supermicro is picky on memory, maybe Asrock isn't as such.

Can you check the Event Log Viewer and see if there is anything logging there for the bluescreen?

Also have you tried using the Intel Download Tool? Intel® Driver Update Utility

See if that finds an update for the Chipset Drivers and actually installs.

paul inventome

Jun 17, 2016
I'm going through a Windows 8.1 Pro install at the moment onto a separate drive, once that's done i'll swap them back and check the logs on the Win 10.

I've only seen one blue screen though, normally it's a full reset.

I have to say so far the 8.1 seems more responsive in terms of copying and installing. Bit odd. I tried running aida64 on a stress test with 8.1 and it didn't reset whereas on Win 10 it did. That's not conclusive yet because i did have a reset when trying to install an nvidia driver (but of course this is windows so that can happen anyway)

But on the chipset drivers yes i did try the Driver Update Utility and it downloaded the latest drivers but they failed to install. It does say that some manufacturers make changes. So i've had to stick to the asrock rack download version unless anyone knows differently.

I've contacted asrock support as well to see whether there's an official view on Windows 10.

The issue is how do i eliminate things, if the memory works under a stress test, is that meaning it's okay or can it still cause issues. Or the CPUs if they are both working and running is it possible they could still be faulty or damaged?

Is there a better place to seat the nvidia card?

It's just working out the best way to test at the moment!

thanks
Paul

paul inventome

Jun 17, 2016
did you manage to fix this? What was the problem?
No, i just fundamentally believe that this board is not Win 10 compatible because the drivers are out of date. Until ASRock do something about it my advice is no Win 10.

I'm running Win 8.1 and it's rock solid. Lots of hardcore Nuke, 3D and very often 24/7 100% CPU and 128GB RAM. It's been a dream.

But my limited time on Win 10. Forget it.

cheers
Paul

wildpig1234

Aug 22, 2016
It's unfortunate, but you are not the only one with this random win10 problem with this asrock board. I think you posted in another thread also about this. I just fundamentally believe that this asrock board won't work with win 10 until asrock seriously deal with it, which looks to me like they won't unfortunately. If you really want to run something like win10, see if you can try to get your hand on server 2016 which has win10 interface and is probably even more stable with less bloatware like xbox, etc... I heard server preview 2016 ran great with that board. I am running server 2016 right now with my intel s2600cp2 and it's running real nicely with everything configured almost like win10.