Asrock X570D4U-2L2T Build

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

t3k

Dec 28, 2020
@t3k Did you end up seting your voltage/frequency in the BIOS in the end and if so what did you end up going with? Looks like I will need to do the same if I want a constant high frequency with sensible temps!
Sorry, I didn't get a notice for new answers on this thread...

I went back here because I started mining raptoreum on this node and It seems I have stability issues, I will try to remove overclocking to verify this

I was set a 1100 mA and 4350 Mhz, Cinebench was stable at these settings for half an hour, but now on Linux I've got some kernel panics after 2 or 3 hours !

thimplicity

Jan 11, 2022
Great build - I am really jealous: I am interested in the board as well. Unfortunately it is quit expensive by now!

Does it support PCIe bifurcation?

deepred

Sep 22, 2019
I am using 5950X in Proxmox 7.0 with stock settings so I can't comment on Windows power plans. With Noctua L9x65 5950X is barely kept cool in a range between 85-90 Celsius when turboing for some time. The CPU frequency fluctuates around 4.1-4.4 GHz at these times. I am a bit space constrained so I use a small mATX case but case fans help a lot. The CPU voltage gets up to (uncomfortable) 1.46V according to IPMI. Please keep in mind that I don't have AVX intensive workloads, just a bunch of service containers and development VMs. I guess in prolonged AVX-heavy tasks it should get only worse. I don't know if that's a normal behavior or some BIOS/AGESA bug. CPU's 1.46V would be an instant death for my 14nm LGA-2011-v3 CPUs.
I tried enabling Eco Mode in order to lower temperatures and voltages but the CPU became quite unstable. The symptoms looked like RAM issues, e.g. random reboots and freezes in normal scenarios, even though Memtest86+ was OK. Currently CPU is at stock settings and I just increased case fans speed so CPU cooler always has enough fresh air.

@All, what's the maximum DDR4 frequency you're getting with 4x dual-rank 32GB ECC (128GB in total)? According to the manual it should work on 2666 and indeed it's fine and stable. But if I increase it even slightly, say, to 2933 or even 3200 it becomes unstable. Sometimes it would work for a half-day then freeze on reboot or in the middle of some VM installation. I am using non-QVL Micron MTA18ASF4G72AZ-3G2B1 modules. I checked compatibility on Micron site and while they don't have Asrock Rack as a vendor these modules were marked as 100% compatible with workstation-class X570 motherboards like ASUS Pro WS X570-ACE that are known to have a working ECC support. Thank you in advance.
A quick update for my build.

1. Changed CPU from Ryzen 9 5950X to Ryzen 7 5750G -- much better power consumption, thermals and noise.
2. Replaced my 4 non-QVL Micron MTA18ASF4G72AZ-3G2B1 with 2 QVL Kingston KSM32ED8/32ME. The combination of Cezanne's improved memory controller and reduced load (2 vs. 4) improved DDR4 frequency -- 3200 works like charm now.
3. Updated to beta BIOS[1] which updates AGESA to 1.2.0.7. Other most noticeable changes include:
a) post events get registered in BMC log
b) OC menu is now available in BIOS
c) System Inventory tabs work finallyScreenshot_20220814_163508.png

[1] https://download.asrock.com/BIOS/Server/X570D4U-2L2T(L1.57)ROM.zip

deepred

Sep 22, 2019
Hi, where did you bought this barebone for 699 €? I can currently only find prices starting at 1300€. Thank you very much!
Hello. I think you are confusing me with someone else -- I only got the board. If you are interested then these guys[1] had X570 boards with Intel 10 GbE in stock last year but not anymore. You can try to contact them if they can order it for you. They still have a lot of X570s without 10 GbE[2] or you can go for X470 variant[3] instead. Also it seems ASRock is working on a X570 refresh[4] with Broadcom 10 GbE chips instead of Intels. There is a B550 variant also but I haven't seen them in EU.

Keep in mind that X570 boards use chipset without S which can get very hot. I modified my case to have a fan blowing from the side directly to motherboard to keep the chipset temperature under control.

[1] https://www.senetic.pl/product/X570D4U-2L2T
[2] ASRock Płyta serwerowa X570D4U, 1 x SKT AM4, AMD Ryzen, X570, SATA, 2xM.2, 2xGbE, IPMI
[3] ASRock Płyta serwerowa X470D4U, 1 x SKT AM4, AMD Ryzen, X470, SATA, 2xM.2, 2xGbE, IPMI
[4] ASRock Rack > X570D4U-2L2T/BCM

jirijanata

Mar 9, 2016
Thank you very much for your very informative reply. I quoted @petersnows because he wrote this prices a few posts ago in his post. The information about the new revision is very interesting.

I'm now thinking about 5900X or 5750G for my server build with ASRock X570D4U, but 5900X doesn't have official ECC support and most likely will be ECC errors not reported to Windows. Also the cooling should be almost some Water AIO.

deepred

Sep 22, 2019
Thank you very much for your very informative reply. I quoted @petersnows because he wrote this prices a few posts ago in his post. The information about the new revision is very interesting.

I'm now thinking about 5900X or 5750G for my server build with ASRock X570D4U, but 5900X doesn't have official ECC support and most likely will be ECC errors not reported to Windows. Also the cooling should be almost some Water AIO.
Sorry, my bad, I didn't noticed that you talked to another member. With regards to ECC support, unless explicitly specified[1] all Ryzen 5000 series should support error correcting memory. With regards to reports, it's actually other way around. As far as I am aware and confirmed by the community (e.g. Wendel from Level1), ASRock AM4 boards will report errors to the operating system only. I think Wendel mentioned once that Ryzen IO die lacks some specific circuitry for IPMI to be able to log ECC errors -- only TR Pro and, of course, EPYC have it.

My original 5950X was a bad batch and was crashing and freezing on random ocasions with ECC cache and memory errors. Guess what -- there was nothing related to ECC in BMC/IPMI logs but full syslog of Machine Check Exceptions. Since syslog is oftent rotated on a regular basis, you may want a proper logger such as rasdaemon installed that is going to keep all MCE logs for you to review.
Code:
# ras-mc-ctl --summary
No Memory errors.

No PCIe AER errors.

No Extlog errors.

MCE records summary:
        1 Uncorrected, software containable error. errors
Also HardwareCanucks tested Ryzen 1000 series ECC support on Windows and found that it was properly reported to Windows Eventlog[2]. I think it should work same way for 5000 series.

My replacement 5950X is installed into Asus ProArt B550-CREATOR which, just like Asus Pro WS X570-ACE, has a QVL-ed ECC support. It works like a charm with 4 sticks of Micron DDR4 3200 ECC UDIMM 32 GiB each from Asus QVL list. Running rock solid at 3200 -- just needs a tiny memory controller voltage bump to POST, everything else is stock.

[1] For example, 5x00G APU don't support ECC, while 5x50G do.
[2] ECC Memory & AMD’s Ryzen – A Deep Dive

Reactions: jirijanata

Borromini

Aug 25, 2021
Hi, where did you bought this barebone for 699 €? I can currently only find prices starting at 1300€. Thank you very much!
My brother picked it up around 1150 € excluding VAT, the barebone that is, not the board. Was October 2021. So 1300 € including VAT is not a bad deal.

Reactions: jirijanata

deepred

Sep 22, 2019
Thank you very much for the links! Do you also have Beta-Bios links for the Motherboard without 10Gbit ethernet? X570D4U (because the version without 10 Gbit Network Ports have some other BIOS version numbering.
True. Unfortunately, I don't have links for the plain X570D4U version. ASRock Rack website is quite unstable these days, hope it comes back online soon. You can check Level1Tech forum, they have a X570D4U thread[1] and just recently someone mentioned they tried beta BIOS. Maybe that person still has the BIOS archive file around.

[1] Asrock X570d4u, x570d4u-2L2T discussion thread

rmt

Nov 1, 2021
Thank you very much for the links! Do you also have Beta-Bios links for the Motherboard without 10Gbit ethernet? X570D4U (because the version without 10 Gbit Network Ports have some other BIOS version numbering.
There doesn't seem to be a top level link to this anymore... They published a new BIOS 1.50 on 10/21/2022. The beta BIOS is listed as 1.29b from 5/19/2022:

My experience with the new BMC firmware and BIOS is (a) all BIOS settings got wiped despite telling IPMI to not do so and (b) I still get "The resource at the URI /redfish/v1/Systems/Self/Bios was not found." when trying to access the BIOS via IPMI.

There seems to be a new board version with a Broadcom BCM57416 called X570D4U-2L2T/BCM (no BIOS or BMC updates available). So the link to the 'old' version with Intel X550-AT2 is not easily discoverable anymore either:

petersnows

Jan 22, 2021
Hello.
I bought from a Germany company (Feb 2021). I believe it was this one (great guys !):
And I live in Portugal (it was cheaper to buy it from a Germany company than to buy it from a local shop).
I am almost sure I can't buy it again for the same price, nowadays.
Even ,1 month after I bought it, it was much more expensive (don't ask me why).

Nowadays they anounce it for 1200€ /1500€

Check this list :
and inquire the stores.

It's a pain in the arse.
Not sure why Asrockrack makes it so difficult to buy their products.
Most of their resselers, don't present the prices online (some you have to sign in to see the price), don't have stock and there are just a few.
On top of this , I had to wait a bit.

Last edited: