Asrock X570D4U-2L2T Build

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Ixian

Oct 26, 2018
They list the M2-HD in their 2020 catalog and if you want one, I'd contact them more about it.
View attachment 16651
Thanks. I had seen that before; in looking it's not available in any channels yet (or at least ones I can find) but I reached out to Asrock.

This one: https://www.amazon.com/SFF-8639-Ada...ni+sas+hd&qid=1607617471&s=electronics&sr=1-3

is available though and for 9 bucks USD I think I'll give it a try for the hell of it. It appears to be straight passthrough so hopefully low chance of frying the m.2 slot vs. simply not working. I have a SFF-8643 breakout cable laying around too.

ramblinreck47

Aug 3, 2019
Thanks. I had seen that before; in looking it's not available in any channels yet (or at least ones I can find) but I reached out to Asrock.

This one: https://www.amazon.com/SFF-8639-Ada...ni+sas+hd&qid=1607617471&s=electronics&sr=1-3

is available though and for 9 bucks USD I think I'll give it a try for the hell of it. It appears to be straight passthrough so hopefully low chance of frying the m.2 slot vs. simply not working. I have a SFF-8643 breakout cable laying around too.
Seems like it would be worth a try. If you go that route, let us know how it works or doesn't.

Ixian

Oct 26, 2018
Seems like it would be worth a try. If you go that route, let us know how it works or doesn't.
The confusing part is, usually those adapters are marked as working with U2 drives only (like the Intel SSD 750). Some Amazon reviewers/users state they didn't work with SATA breakout. However I don't know if that is simply because they tried it in an M.2 slot that was for nvme only (no SATA) since these adapters don't have a converter chip. Asrock supports SATA on both, also the adapter they picture is clearly an M2>U2 passthrough type so I don't know where the confusion is.

I'm thinking it's not going to work, and if by some chance it does I don't know what the performance would be, but I'll give it a try. Other option is to spend $50 on an M.2 nvme>sata board like this one: Amazon.com: IO CREST M.2 22x42 to SATA III 2 Ports Adapter Card (Jmicro Chipset), Add Two SATA 3.0 Devices to Any M.2 2242 Slot SI-ADA40141: Computers & Accessories

zbyte

Oct 5, 2020
I have been waiting for the 5800X to be in stock but it seems I will have to wait at least 2 more months before supply gets steady, I won't be paying the premium on Ebay charged by the speculators. what you think would be best, move on with a system now spending $140 on a 3600 now and replacing it by a 5800x in 2 months or get a 3700x now for $320 and use it for 4 - 5 years? my computing requirements are modest, I will be running TrueNAS VM under ESXi and possibly a Plex server, 2 or 3 Palo Alto and Sophos VM's, and accounting Windows 10 VM and maybe 2 - 3 decoy PC's but initially only TrueNAS VM and Plex Server so potentially the 3600 will suffice

EDIt: I do have a 5600X on a music server which I could potentially use, anyone has tried the experimental lab BIOS supporting the 5XXX architecture?

Ixian

Oct 26, 2018
Your use case is a little light on details but the 5800x is most likely complete overkill for what you are trying to do. You'd probably do well long term with even the 3600.

zbyte

Oct 5, 2020
Thanks, sometimes I need some feedback to keep it simple, 6 cores 12 threads on the 3600 is definitely will be just there and not enough,
1. Plex server and transcoding 2 cores at least
2. TrueNAS 1 core but preferable 2
3. Accounting system 2 cores minimal
4. Palo Alto appliance 2 cores
5. Palo Alto Panorama 2 cores
6. Development server running automation tools 2 cores
7. Sandboxes and VMs for other tasks 6 cores

Total would be around 18 virtual cores which could still run on the 3600 but close, 3700 would give some extra room if needed. $140 vs $320 ...

Yeah the 3600 looks very attractive. I can still use this 3600 in 3 months for my low needs audio renderer PC with 65W TDP I can just put it to run on an HDPLex fanless chassis

Thanks for the answers

Ixian

Oct 26, 2018
By that math I don't know why you think the 8 core/16 thread 5800x would work for you either :)

You expect all those cores to be hitting high utilization at the same time, all the time? Still seems extreme to me.

WillTaillac

Feb 28, 2020
BIOS upgrades can be done through IPMI, bypassing the CPU completely.
This is exactly how I updated the BIOS on mine. I had a 3600 installed in it at the time, but the system was powered off during the BIOS update, so the installed CPU had nothing to do with it.

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
but the system was powered off during the BIOS update
I updated once the bios through ipmi on a server while it was running (I thought it was shut down). Bios update went wrong and the system didn't boot.
Thankfully it was a supermicro board and the sum cli tool has a "-force" parameter that can overwrite the bios chip.

zbyte

Oct 5, 2020
Just installed the board on a Fractal Node 804, ended up purchasing a 3700X, truly I don't need more computing power for now. My plan is to run ESXi and TrueNAS VM among others hopefully the SATA onboard ports will be detected with drives without needing to add an LSI with IT mode for drives. The CPU will run with the stock cooler although based on noise I might go with the NH-U12S SE-AM4 for cooling as someone else did.
I am debating if for the VM's I should use one M.2 SSD backing up the VM's or 2 M.2 SSDs using the board bios RAID1 for a possible drive failure. In either scenario for booting ESXi should I use the same M.2 drive(s) for the OS or should I add a 32 GB SATADOM drive (taking one of the 8 onboard SATA) for booting?
Let me know what you guys think. Since the NAS and Plex server etc. are not really THAT critical I am thinking one SSD will be enough but would love to hear opinions.

WillTaillac

Feb 28, 2020
From the booting perspective? or for VM's in general? or just because of the RAID?
I haven't investigated it for booting, or even on current-gen NVME RAID in any capacity actually. But in the past, anything remotely considered "software" RAID, like all consumer on-motherboard RAID implementations, was unsupported in ESXi or Linux in general. And by 'unsupported' I mean "doesn't work" rather than just the OS vendor wagging a finger at you for using it.

zbyte

Oct 5, 2020
I haven't investigated it for booting, or even on current-gen NVME RAID in any capacity actually. But in the past, anything remotely considered "software" RAID, like all consumer on-motherboard RAID implementations, was unsupported in ESXi or Linux in general.
That makes sense, thank you,
I think I'm going to go with 1 M.2 booting and VM's and avoid the SATADOM booting separate

t3k

Dec 28, 2020
Quick update, all 128GB is running at the correct speed and the timings (on auto) do line up with the rated 22-22-22 so all looks good. Got a final extended mem check running to make 100% sure!
Hi Shadowsong,

could you please share your memory config details please ? I've got the same RAM as you but they are detected at 2400 Mhz with my 3200g (waiting for 5950X, meanwhile I'm putting only 2 DIMMs on the motherboard)

Would be greatly appreciated :)

Reactions: ramblinreck47

zbyte

Oct 5, 2020
I'm about to attach the Noctua fan for the X570 chipset, although logically it should be blowing into the heatsink it comes to question if it also could work sucking in through the chipset fins and blowing out hot air to the front to back airflow, has anyone experimented with both settings?

zbyte

Oct 5, 2020
Has anyone installed ESXi latest release with SATA passthrough? it will allow to enable it but it won't work
1609631249295.png
It stays on the Need Reboot option and won't show it to the VM

Maybe because this board is not officially supported? I am going to have to get an HBA for it which I was trying to avoid