ASRock Rack X570D4U

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

tessierp

Jul 27, 2020
Amazing! When is this motherboard expected to be released? I was going to buy the X470D4U but this is much better now that they fixed the spacing issue.

Lyphiard

Oct 17, 2015
Amazing! When is this motherboard expected to be released? I was going to buy the X470D4U but this is much better now that they fixed the spacing issue.
I was told around September, although I would always expect some delays with new boards being rolled out.

Reactions: tessierp

tessierp

Jul 27, 2020
Just 2 x USB3.1 ports + header for two more. Really? On a workstation!? Come on ASRR!
This motherboard is meant for a mini server more than a workstation I think. It is a mini-ITX board after all so there is so much they can fit on it. If you need more ports, you can always buy some hubs to extend it. Depending on what you do, you can get a PCI-E USB card as well.

Vit K

Feb 23, 2017
It is a mini-ITX board after all so there is so much they can fit on it.
Definitely not an ITX board, full size mATX, if you look at the mounting spaces. It is shame they put pci-e x1 instead of pci-e x4. (and yes I see two m.2 slots). Using sata connectors instead of SAS HD also questionable. 12V design missing.

AsrockRack was never good at IPMI, or reliable, or have great support, or not failing at design every time (as you mentioned about previous revision).

For that size, as server, supermicro board would be better, don't know if cheaper. But indeed they don't have AMD variants.

tessierp

Jul 27, 2020
I meant to say mATX sorry about that.

Going Supermicro would be an option but then you're talking about a lot more money especially that AM4 CPUs are out of the question since Supermicro doesn't make any boards for them like you mentioned.

Anyways, not a perfect board but then again what board ever is? For a small home server for things like PLEX, HOME ASSISTANT, etc or a NAS it will do the job. At least it offers a choice, not everyone can afford or need a server class CPU. Threadripper could be an option but then again I'm not sure if supermicro makes motherboards for threadripper, I think only EPIC. In any case, it is good to at least have the option of using AM4 on something close to a server class motherboard especially that you you have CPUs like the 3950X with the X570D4U-2L2T depending on what you run at home it would be an excellent option.

Last edited:

lostmind

Jan 5, 2013
Well, I have this board. And I have updated the beta bios to support the 5600x cpu. Seems to work great.

Unfortunately, this beta bios for this board does not seem to include the BMC firmware.

I have tried manually installing the BMC firmware, but it fails.

Waiting on Asrock support for a week now... hoping they get back to me with a fix. But for those who are looking to use this board for an AM4 based server for the new cpu's and want BMC access... right now it does not appear to work.

Lyphiard

Oct 17, 2015
Well, I have this board. And I have updated the beta bios to support the 5600x cpu. Seems to work great.

Unfortunately, this beta bios for this board does not seem to include the BMC firmware.

I have tried manually installing the BMC firmware, but it fails.

Waiting on Asrock support for a week now... hoping they get back to me with a fix. But for those who are looking to use this board for an AM4 based server for the new cpu's and want BMC access... right now it does not appear to work.
You don't need to update the BMC firmware for it to work with 5000-series CPUs. The BMC is a completely separate system and works even without a CPU installed.

tessierp

Jul 27, 2020
The motherboard is still very new and with the pandemic everything is a little slower. Give it time, I hope this works out. When it becomes available over here, I intend to get that to replace a ASRock B550M Steel Legend I had to get since it wasn't available in Canada yet. Let us know how everything goes @lostmind .

lostmind

Jan 5, 2013
You don't need to update the BMC firmware for it to work with 5000-series CPUs. The BMC is a completely separate system and works even without a CPU installed.
Yup. I understand that.

You DO need to update the bios to support the new CPU's. Which I did.

However, once that is updated, the BMC is no longer functional. Which is why I tried to get the BMC firmware updated separately. But sadly that failed.

I did not test out the BMC prior to updating the bios. So I am unsure if it was failed prior to that.

As the board is in a server in the colo facility, access is not all that convenient...

The motherboard is still very new and with the pandemic everything is a little slower. Give it time, I hope this works out. When it becomes available over here, I intend to get that to replace a ASRock B550M Steel Legend I had to get since it wasn't available in Canada yet. Let us know how everything goes @lostmind .
I think perhaps the board is broken. Going to try for an RMA. Just a bit frustrating as I have been waiting on this board since november.

Lyphiard

Oct 17, 2015
Yup. I understand that.

You DO need to update the bios to support the new CPU's. Which I did.

However, once that is updated, the BMC is no longer functional. Which is why I tried to get the BMC firmware updated separately. But sadly that failed.

I did not test out the BMC prior to updating the bios. So I am unsure if it was failed prior to that.

As the board is in a server in the colo facility, access is not all that convenient...

I think perhaps the board is broken. Going to try for an RMA. Just a bit frustrating as I have been waiting on this board since november.
Does the server boot at least? If so, you can try using SOCFlash (ASRock has it for download on their website) and re-flashing the BMC in a DOS environment. I've had issues before where the SPI flash holding the BMC gets corrupted somehow and it no longer boots.

If you're both unable to boot the server and unable to access the BMC, it looks like a RMA would be the only option then.

lostmind

Jan 5, 2013
Does the server boot at least? If so, you can try using SOCFlash (ASRock has it for download on their website) and re-flashing the BMC in a DOS environment. I've had issues before where the SPI flash holding the BMC gets corrupted somehow and it no longer boots.

If you're both unable to boot the server and unable to access the BMC, it looks like a RMA would be the only option then.
Yup, it boots and I used the socflash to reflash the bmc. Unfortunately, it failed.

I reloaded the actual BIOS fw as well, hoping it would fix the issue and didn't.

Sadly, still waiting on a reply from Asrock.

netswitch

Sep 24, 2018
Hello
I have updated my board with the "lab" bios available from their site and BMC remains available and functional, sounds like RMA is indeed your only option.

tessierp

Jul 27, 2020
I recently saw a video review of that board and all seemed good but the guy noticed the X570 chipset was idle and at 81 C!!! Did any of you who tried the board noticed that?

Lyphiard

Oct 17, 2015
I recently saw a video review of that board and all seemed good but the guy noticed the X570 chipset was idle and at 81 C!!! Did any of you who tried the board noticed that?
The heatsink on this board for the X570 chipset is small and passive. X570 in particular is a very hot chipset so it's not surprising to hear. You'd want a lot of airflow over the chipset (e.g. through a case fan), which would prevent temperatures from getting this high.

All of the systems I've built with this board are in a 1U server chassis and have a fan positioned right next to the chipset.

tessierp

Jul 27, 2020
@Lyphiard
Let me ask you this. I intend to put this motherboard in a 2U case. The possible candidates are iStarUSA D-214-MATX and Rosewill RSV-Z2600. Both have 2 fans in front of the motherboard (80mm). The CPU would be a 3900X with NH-L12S. If I go with the iStarUSA, I will get a 3 HDD hotswap bay with a 80mm fan. They are NOCTUA 80 mm fans (REDUX 80)

This is meant to be a small server running 4 to 6 VMs, nothing intensive. One of the VMs will be ZoneMinder so that will be the most processor intensive server.

Should I expect heat issues?

Last edited:

netswitch

Sep 24, 2018
I have recently done the following build :
X570D4U
Ryzen 5900X
2* 32 Go ECC
Supermicro 1U SC113
Dynatron 1U Watercooling
Small fan for the chipset

I have tested this build with Aida64 System Stability Test for more than one hour and it has been completely stable.
I have not noted the chipset temperature, my focus was more on the CPU temperature (which stabilised around 86° ) but all remained perfectly stable.
It has been put in production and used under a heavy httpd load for 2 hours without issue.
(Picture of the build in the topic about 1U cooling of the X470D4U.)