ASRock Rack X570D4U-2L2T Review an AMD Ryzen Server Motherboard

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

ramblinreck47

Aug 3, 2019
It would nice if this motherboard wasn’t so hard to buy. It only stays in stock on Newegg for about 20 seconds and then immediately sells out. It’s about as rare right now as the rest of the new AMD products.

Reactions: sboesch

WillTaillac

Feb 28, 2020
There is a beta bios available for ryzen 5000 series support
Yes. I didn't run it - don't have a 5000 series CPU yet - but if there is anything that could push this motherboard even farther into the "DIY-only" category it would be relying upon a beta BIOS for your CPU support ;)

ramblinreck47

Aug 3, 2019
Yes. I didn't run it - don't have a 5000 series CPU yet - but if there is anything that could push this motherboard even farther into the "DIY-only" category it would be relying upon a beta BIOS for your CPU support ;)
I’ve come to the decision that I’m cool with this. ASRock Rack seems to make decent BIOS updates and at least make the beta ones easily accessible.

But yeah, definitely not for those that want rock solid stability and support.

TLN

Feb 26, 2016
I noticed that board switches to x8/x8 when 2nd PCIe slot is populated. I guess that's the case with most of consumer boards, right? Seems to be the same for Z490 boards too. I got PM1725 3.2Tb drive, which is PCIe 3.0 x8 and would like to use it. I guess I can reach about the same performance with PCIe 4.0 x8 NVME drive, but it will be smaller and I have to buy it.
Also, in review it was mentioned that 128Gb is not enough "memory per thread" for 16c/32t processor. Can anyone elaborate on that? What's most optimal thread/memory ratio?

WillTaillac

Feb 28, 2020
I noticed that board switches to x8/x8 when 2nd PCIe slot is populated. I guess that's the case with most of consumer boards, right?
Absolutely. Consumer CPUs just don't have enough lanes to give full X16 bandwidth to more than one slot.
Can anyone elaborate on that? What's most optimal thread/memory ratio?
It depends on workload. For some workloads, this may be enough memory. For others, it might be wholly inadequate. It just depends on what you're trying to do.

TLN

Feb 26, 2016
Absolutely. Consumer CPUs just don't have enough lanes to give full X16 bandwidth to more than one slot.
Well, I was thinking about x16 + x8 in two slots. I guess there won't be any performance hit, especially with PCIe 4.0 CPUs.

It depends on workload. For some workloads, this may be enough memory. For others, it might be wholly inadequate. It just depends on what you're trying to do.
Of course. I just thought there's some well-known ratio that I'm missing.

WillTaillac

Feb 28, 2020
Nah, not that I know of. If you were building a home lab though, and you say wanted to virtualize a moderate size network for testing - say a domain controller, SQL server, Exchange environment, a few workstations, plus some more odds and ends - you might quickly run into 128GB as a limit, while since it was a test environment from a CPU standpoint you would still be fine.

For lots of uses 128GB is going to be plenty though. You want to build yourself the world's most badass PLEX server? Yeah, you'll be fine.

funkywizard

mmm.... bandwidth.
Jan 15, 2017
USA
ioflood.com
Well, I was thinking about x16 + x8 in two slots. I guess there won't be any performance hit, especially with PCIe 4.0 CPUs.

As far as I know, there's 24 lanes total.

4 goes to southbridge
4 goes to an m.2 slot

leaves 16

so if you use both pcie slots, there's only 16 lanes available to split between both of them.