ASRock Rack X570D4I-2T AMD Ryzen Server in mITX

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

zir_blazer

Dec 5, 2016
The most interesing thing is 4x/4x/4x/4x bifurcation, which means that Matisse supports it and that there is no reason for not having it in other Motherboards.

I do agree that it seems extremely niche. ITX is too small for this. SODIMM, nonstandard heatsink, the freezes due to Chipset overheating... yuck. But hey, they fit a whole bunch of things in such a small form factor.

WillTaillac

Feb 28, 2020
I wish I had been able to test the bifurcation, but I don't have anything to plug into that slot and split it up like that. It is in the BIOS which should mean it is supported, but I wouldn't trust that without testing it on my own. I just didn't have the means to do so.

cactus

Jan 25, 2011
CA
I have always assumed these kind of niche boards are ODM/built to spec and get into the channel just as byproduct or by lack of exclusivity agreement. The trade offs dont make sense to me otherwise.

thigobr

Apr 29, 2020
The most interesing thing is 4x/4x/4x/4x bifurcation, which means that Matisse supports it and that there is no reason for not having it in other Motherboards.

I do agree that it seems extremely niche. ITX is too small for this. SODIMM, nonstandard heatsink, the freezes due to Chipset overheating... yuck. But hey, they fit a whole bunch of things in such a small form factor.
Yes, Gigabyte X570 I supports 4x4x4x4 bifurcation for example... So far that was the only one I found... I want to use a Quad M2 on the PCIE and the Gigabyte board seems a better and cheaper option and also supports ECC.

Asrock advantages are the extra OCulink ports and IPMI

thulle

Apr 11, 2019
I can't say anything about the reviewed board, but with my Asus Pro WS X570-ACE and a Ryzen 3700x, error reporting works fine in Linux.
If I overclock my memory to where it starts to generate errors i get the following in the kernel log:

kernel: EDAC MC0: 1 CE Cannot decode normalized address on mc#0csrow#3channel#0 (csrow:3 channel:0 page:0x0 offset:0x0 grain:64 syndrome:0x400)
and edac-util would show something like

# edac-util -v
[...]
mc0: csrow3: mc#0csrow#3channel#0: 1 Corrected Errors
mc0: csrow3: mc#0csrow#3channel#1: 0 Corrected Errors
There are people working on being able to inject errors to test this without overcloking, but I'm not sure how far they've gotten. Been 6 months or so since I last checked.

ReturnedSword

Jun 15, 2018
Santa Monica, CA
AFAIK, the SoC root PCIe complex since Zen 1 supported both 8x/8x and 4x/4x/4x/4x bifurcation, just like the IMC supported ECC. This does not mean that the feature will be implemented though.

While it would be lovely for AMD to support a proper Xeon E competitor, as mentioned by many voices here before it’s a relatively small slice of the market. AMD probably doesn’t have enough resources to attack every segment comprehensively like Intel as much as we, and I would love to have an official AM4 based Xeon E competitor.

zir_blazer

Dec 5, 2016
AFAIK, the SoC root PCIe complex since Zen 1 supported both 8x/8x and 4x/4x/4x/4x bifurcation, just like the IMC supported ECC. This does not mean that the feature will be implemented though.

While it would be lovely for AMD to support a proper Xeon E competitor, as mentioned by many voices here before it’s a relatively small slice of the market. AMD probably doesn’t have enough resources to attack every segment comprehensively like Intel as much as we, and I would love to have an official AM4 based Xeon E competitor.
AMD Chipset slides pointed out that only X series Chipsets allowed for bifurcation to 8x/8x, while the B and A series are 16x only. I don't recall a single time that AMD said that consumer Ryzen can do 4x/4x/4x/4x, albeit I know that the silicon can do it. Getting the Chipset involved is like what Intel does, which only allows bifurcation to 8x/8x or 8x/4x/4x on the Z series Chipsets and some of the Q and C high end models. It is considered a "Chipset controlled Processor feature" by Intel. On AMD case... we don't really know because it seems that the marketing slides aren't enforced at the Hardware level, they do it as a "me too". Same with ECC, it is on the die, it isn't disabled, but it isn't oficially validated, either. So you don't even know what the Processor can do, or not, unless a Motherboard manufacturer decides to support it on its own so you at least have proof that it does work.

I think that to tackle the Xeon E line you just need more availability of Ryzen Pro and more Motherboards with BMC/IPMI. But as a DIY, the blame is on Motherboard manufacturers for not trying to find newer niches. AsRock is pretty much the only one that gets out unique designs.