AsRock Rack X470D4U $199 @ Newegg

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Cybertron

Oct 4, 2016
Atlanta, GA
I recently found this(attached picture) on the homelab and have been toying around with the idea of a new build. This board might be exactly what I need... IPMI, on board M.2, Ryzen, and plenty of space for more M.2 risers + a 10Gbe card. Just need to see if Vmware will run on it. I'm just tired of running into the issue of too loud or too hot. If I can build a 3U/4U chassis with plenty of large fans, I can have a decent lab without too much compromise. The idea would be to do Veeam backups for non-raid M.2 storage.

Attachments

Cybertron

Oct 4, 2016
Atlanta, GA
Nice case, is it a SilverStone HTPC case ?
I like your idea running SATA SSD with PCI carrier.
Sorry, i should have explained better. I would like to build a white box ESXi server because i keep running into heat/noise issues with my traditional hotswap chassis from Dell, Chenbro, Supermicro. So i saw the (yes, Silverstone) server someone built on /homelab and decided a Ryzen ESXi lab would be nice and I'd use local nvme drives for quick datastore access instead of trying to build a beefy server for fast 10Gbe when local would just be so much easier to deal with. Replace my Freenas box with a new Synology since they are finally building the right hardware into their boxes! trying to simplify my current overkill setup basically.

btw, seeing multiple reports of this board working perfectly with ESXi out of the box, even the NIC since its intel thankfully.

Reactions: Marsh

damienr

Nov 20, 2015
New Zealand
Sorry, i should have explained better. I would like to build a white box ESXi server because i keep running into heat/noise issues with my traditional hotswap chassis from Dell, Chenbro, Supermicro. So i saw the (yes, Silverstone) server someone built on /homelab and decided a Ryzen ESXi lab would be nice and I'd use local nvme drives for quick datastore access instead of trying to build a beefy server for fast 10Gbe when local would just be so much easier to deal with. Replace my Freenas box with a new Synology since they are finally building the right hardware into their boxes! trying to simplify my current overkill setup basically.

btw, seeing multiple reports of this board working perfectly with ESXi out of the box, even the NIC since its intel thankfully.
Cybertron, I can attest to perfect working under ESXI. Started with 6.5 and upgraded to 7.0 when it was released. No issues at all.
Moved from ESXI to Proxmox due to change of direction. Great motherboard - have owned since April 2019, still using a first-gen Ryzen 1700.

Reactions: Marsh

Cybertron

Oct 4, 2016
Atlanta, GA
Cybertron, I can attest to perfect working under ESXI. Started with 6.5 and upgraded to 7.0 when it was released. No issues at all.
Moved from ESXI to Proxmox due to change of direction. Great motherboard - have owned since April 2019, still using a first-gen Ryzen 1700.
Thanks for that info! And hmm maybe i will start with a cheaper CPU then. I was going to hit the 3900X straight away. The 3950X just seems like a cost prohibitive jump.

damienr

Nov 20, 2015
New Zealand
Thanks for that info! And hmm maybe i will start with a cheaper CPU then. I was going to hit the 3900X straight away. The 3950X just seems like a cost prohibitive jump.
Good choice - probably not worth it this late in to the game.

I actually recently asked of ASRock's intent to support the Zen3 5000 series on the X470, and they answered in the affirmative, subject to waiting on the appropriate AGESA from AMD, due Jan '21.

Regardless, people are now offloading the 3000 series Ryzen's, so you're bound to find a deal sooner or later.

JediAcolyte

May 29, 2020
US
I have one of these boards. Be aware of your ram height when choosing your CPU cooling solution. There is very little clearance and I was unable to put a memory stick in the slot closest to the CPU cooler.

Its slightly bending the Ram and I would not trust leaving it there. The cooler is a Noctua NH U12S

thigobr

Apr 29, 2020
I just snagged one... The X570D4U would be a better choice but I couldn't find it for less than double this price... Not worth it.

rekd0514

May 11, 2015
I think I am going to grab one of these as well. I haven't seen the X570D4U in stock anywhere yet unless you are talking about the one with 10GBe included.

sboesch

Aug 3, 2012
Columbus, OH
I grabbed a 2nd one of these this week during the sale. I wish the USB over IPMI was faster, but hey, it's not like there are any other alternatives for AM4 at the moment.

Bradford

May 27, 2016
New deal code is :

23bkfcym295
That still works - taking $30 off to get the price to $199. I want to pick this up, but I wish it was ATX. My consumer board (I think it's an Asus ROG/TUF board) has been having random crashes and I THINK it's the RTX 2070 but I can't pinpoint it. If I knew it was the board I'd buy this in a second.