Asrock Rack W680 Motherboards discussion

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

autoturk

Sep 1, 2022
Got my hands on a Asrock Rack W680 board (specifically W680D4U-2L2T/G5 that was reviewed on STH) and thought to start a thread where folks could share their learnings/experiences on these boards. Here's my build so far:

- i7 12700k
- 2 x 16 GB non-ecc DDR5 UDIMMs
- one 10 GB NIC in use + IPMI.

Here's what my idle power usage looks like:
- IPMI only: 6.4 W
- BIOS: 45 W
- Unraid booted (With no drives): 25 W

EDIT: updated the above after changing C-state configs from Auto to Enabled. Idle went from 30 W to 25 W.

Feel free to share any experiences here.

Last edited:
Reactions: T_Minus

autoturk

Sep 1, 2022
So I wanted to turn off LAN failover for the BMC, and apparently it's a bit more complicated than just turning off a failover setting... Following this reddit post on the x570d4u, I did the following:

1) Settings > Network Settings > Network Bond Configuration > disabled bonding.
2) Settings > Services > I have configured web and kvm to listen on eth0 *only*, instead of "both".

But I'm still getting an IP for the IPMI when there is no ethernet cable connected for the IPMI. I am hesitant to run the ipmitool command in the post above because it's not the same board, so I reached out to Asrock Rack support. Will update with what they say.

EDIT: they suggest running the following (same command as above):

Code:
 ipmitool raw 0x32 0x71 0x0 0x01 0x00

Last edited:
Reactions: T_Minus

autoturk

Sep 1, 2022
Maybe this was obvious to others, but I'm unable to get a video signal through IPMI web interface if I have anything connected to the HDMI port. I guess this kicks in the iGPU, which takes priority over the Aspeed chip.

Thankfully the iGPU is seen by Ubuntu even if nothing is connected to it, and it seems like Quicksync is being used by Jellyfin.

Last edited:

dieter42

May 27, 2023
Got my hands on a Asrock Rack W680 board (specifically W680D4U-2L2T/G5 that was reviewed on STH) and thought to start a thread where folks could share their learnings/experiences on these boards. Here's my build so far:

- i7 12700k
- 2 x 16 GB non-ecc DDR5 UDIMMs
- one 10 GB NIC in use + IPMI.

Here's what my idle power usage looks like:
- IPMI only: 6.4 W
- BIOS: 45 W
- Unraid booted (With no drives): 25 W

EDIT: updated the above after changing C-state configs from Auto to Enabled. Idle went from 30 W to 25 W.

Feel free to share any experiences here.
Thanks for sharing the details! I'm interested in this mainboard as well (haven't ordered yet).
I plan to use Ubuntu server and run some kvm based VMs. Hence, I'd like to raise a few questions...
I don't know much about Unraid .. are you running console or GUI mode?
Have you applied additional power saving settings to Unraid?
Assume you booted Unraid via NVMe, could you share the HW type?
Power supply HW would be interesting as well, especially with low load efficiency varies quite a lot.

Thanks a lot!

autoturk

Sep 1, 2022
Thanks for sharing the details! I'm interested in this mainboard as well (haven't ordered yet).
I plan to use Ubuntu server and run some kvm based VMs. Hence, I'd like to raise a few questions...
I don't know much about Unraid .. are you running console or GUI mode?
Have you applied additional power saving settings to Unraid?
Assume you booted Unraid via NVMe, could you share the HW type?
Power supply HW would be interesting as well, especially with low load efficiency varies quite a lot.

Thanks a lot!
of course!

So Unraid runs off of a USB flash disk, so I didn't have any drives connected when I had it booted, and it was a fresh image so I didn't do any tweaking. Running console.

I recently booted Ubuntu just to test out a few things with a small Intel optane 58 gb NVME and a few case fans and I was showing similar power consumption figures.

Power supply was an 850 Watt XFX platinum power supply from an old build, but I've also connected a Gold flex ATX 400 watt power supply and had similar figures as well.

Hope this is helpful!

lwwl

May 2, 2021
I recently got this board as well (the W680D4U version) to upgrade my old system (i7-7700). Initially I was looking at the AM5 equivalent (B650D4U), but settled for the intel version, since it appeared to have lower idle consumption.

I use it as a (relatively) low powered SFF headless workstation at home. I paired it with a i5-13600T (35W) CPU and 2x 32GB Kingston DDR5 ECC in a desktop case with 300w TFX PSU and space for low-profile PCI-e cards. It also has an Nvidia T600 (4GB) for some very light CUDA computations. It currently idles at around 40 degrees Celsius.

Overall, it seems to be working well and I am very happy so far but I haven't been able to stress test it yet.

labxplore

Sep 12, 2022
I use it as a (relatively) low powered SFF headless workstation at home. I paired it with a i5-13600T (35W) CPU and 2x 32GB Kingston DDR5 ECC in a desktop case with 300w TFX PSU and space for low-profile PCI-e cards. It also has an Nvidia T600 (4GB) for some very light CUDA computations. It currently idles at around 40 degrees Celsius.
Have you been able to measure your idle consumption (in W) to compare with OP's numbers? (OP has 10GB NIC and you have a GPU so "maybe" they have similar idle consumption profile :))

lwwl

May 2, 2021
Have you been able to measure your idle consumption (in W) to compare with OP's numbers? (OP has 10GB NIC and you have a GPU so "maybe" they have similar idle consumption profile :))
Unfortunately, I do not have any equipment to do that. I have feeling it is more powerefficient than my previous workstation (7gen i7) with a similar setup but no way to put any numbers on it. My noctua fans are remarkably quiet for a 24/7 operation with sometimes decent load.

Reactions: labxplore

MartinJ

Feb 18, 2024
Thought I'd post this here if anyone with the same issue stumbles across this thread.

I have an ASRock Rack W680D4U-2L2T/G5, Intel Core i5-12600K, 2x Micron 32 GB DDR5-4800 ECC UDIMM, Google Coral TPU M.2 B+M Key, Intel X710-DA2, LSI SAS 9211-4i, 2x Seagate IronWolf Pro 8 TB, Seagate SkyHawk AI 8 TB, 2x Micron 7450 MAX 800 GB.

For the two Micron 7450 MAX, I initially bought OCuLink to U.3 cables from Micro SATA Cables (PCIe Gen 4 16 GT/s OCulink (SFF-8611) to U.3 (SFF-8639) Cable). These didn't work and back then, last year in September, there were no reports on working cables. Both ASRock Rack and Micro SATA Cables support didn't have any suggestions. I researched again in January this year and there are a few Reddit and forum posts that suggest that Supermicro CBL-SAST-0956 OCuLink to U.2 cables (Supermicro 55cm OCuLink to U.2 PCIE with Power Cable (CBL-SAST-0956)) are the only ones working with a variety of ASRock Rack motherboards. I bought them and I can confirm that they work with my motherboard and the Micron 7450 MAX.

Reactions: kgcdctx