Asrock Rack ROMED4ID-2T

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Tim_S

Mar 20, 2018
I want at least two of these.

This is perfect for a refresh of my home server front-end.

The machines are a HA-VM host running kvm/qemu at host level, Open vSwitchwith Mellanox dual port 40gbe nics as switch fabric, and storage with GlusterFS/OpenZFS as a vSAN.

With multi-port NICs and bypass NIC attached on PCIe expansion, I have gotten rid of my network switches too, and no blockage should a server go down.

I'm looking to upgrade CPU core counts, MPoE NIC speed, Open vSwitch fabric speed, SATA/SAS speed, and other accoutrements.

You may be asking yourself... "yeah, but how would you plug it that other stuff?" Well I find the normal ATX form factor a bit limiting in custom packages - so I found a guy who makes slimline 8i to PCIe device slot adapters, and I'm having him do a slight customization on one of his existing designs, kind of gives one the Flex-ITX flexibility, but applicable to more off the shelf motherboards. Find Christian's awesome work here (no affiliation, I'm paying HIM to do work - and I still haven't found an alternative source for these): Slimline Device Adaptors

Last edited:
Reactions: Patrick

Tim_S

Mar 20, 2018
Their sales person stated via email that they are targeting mass production in Q1 2021. From all I can find in their financial filings it appears that ASRock ends their fiscal year in line with a calendar year - so I'd take it to mean: "12:01AM Jan 1st - 11:59PM March 31st 2021"

Note that mass production does not equal retail channel availability... That could be another month or two depending on how they spin it. Safe bet would be "in your hands by summer of next year (2021)".

It's not stopping me from making grand plans now though... ;)