ASRock Rack ROME8D-2T no post "00" with naples 7551p

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

dfi

Jan 26, 2021
Hello all,

Just built a new server based on a ROME8D-2T and a 7551p I've spent the weekend trying to get this computer to post with no luck, always shows a "00" code, I've built a number of computers over the years but this is the first server I've built from scratch, I'm hoping you can point out some details I may have missed.

Core Parts List:
- AMD 7551p, The CPU is new came in a sealed box from the local Supermicro distributer
- ROME8D-2T Motherboard, newegg
- 8 x DDR4 3200 RDIMM Kingston KSM32RD8/16HDR

I was originally shopping for a 16 core 7002 and during my hunt i got offered a new 1st gen EPYC 7551p for $500 from one of my employers suppliers (last one). My plan was to start with the 7001 and the ROMED8-2t and later down that track i could upgrade the CPU. I bought memory with this thought in mind so i got 3200 RDIMM's even though the first gen EPYC is only spec'd for 2666. In my previous experience memory generally downclocks with few issues, perhaps i'm mistaken in this case?

The memory was ordered from my local supplier to try and match the QVL list, the only memory i could get in a reasonable time frame was KSM32RD8/16HDR (Hynix) instead of KSM32RD8/16MEI (Micron) that is on the QVL list. my supplier was sourcing based on the motherboard.

I've tried all the usual troubleshooting steps:
- removed all peripherals
- removed all RAM but one stick and cycled my way through the stack based on the manual using C1 for a single stick
- remounted the CPU checked pins
- bios appears to be latest version (possibly a problem for naples?)
- removed motherboard from chassis, disconnect all wires except for ethernet for IPMI and PSU. boot from ipmi
- IPMI logs are clear

I'm going to try to get some slower RAM tomorrow and try to boot with that to see if i can rule in/out the RAM, will also try another power supply.

After a bunch of reading of similar issues i'm leaning toward a motherboard problem just becuse of the lack of a proper "Dr. Debug" code since "00" is not on the list, but since i don't have access to another EPYC cpu it could be a problem trying to 100% figure out which part(s) are causing issues.

Appreciate any insights

dfi

Jan 26, 2021
hmm, specs says clearly: Single Socket SP3 supports AMD EPYC™ 7003 and 7002 series Processors
You have 7001 series..
It does say that now since milan's release (used to say 7001 and 7002) but the 7551p is still listed as a supported CPU

NablaSquaredG

Layer 1 Magician
Aug 17, 2020
Which BIOS version?

It could be that they removed Zen 1 microcode at some point due to lack of space.

Otherwise I'm surprised that EPYC 7551 is on the QVL, maybe copy&paste error...

dfi

Jan 26, 2021
Which BIOS version?

It could be that they removed Zen 1 microcode at some point due to lack of space.

Otherwise I'm surprised that EPYC 7551 is on the QVL, maybe copy&paste error...
The board is on bios 1.3, i did wonder if the bios might need to be reverted to an earlier version.
Have sent a message ASRock so we'll see what they have to say.

juma

Apr 14, 2021
Thanks for this. Running into the same thing with my ROME8D-2T and 7551. Just wondering how you downgraded the BIOS? I'm unable to get any display output through a VGA or the KVM and am not sure if I'm doing something wrong.

EDIT: Got it to post with the "BIOS Update" tile in the Maintenance section of the web GUI and everything works now. ASRock's instructions on their website are out of date.

Last edited:
Reactions: Patrick

superempie

Sep 25, 2015
The Netherlands
And if you want to have the fan controls in the BMC web UI, ask ASRockRack for BMC Firmware Version 1.10.01 . They are not present in 1.10.00 .

Edit: removed stuff

Last edited:
Reactions: juma

marctuscher

Jan 31, 2022
Hi,

I'm currently stuck with the same problem. How can I do the Bios Update via IPMI without having a supported CPU installed. Found some answers suggesting that IPMI should be available without CPU, however, I'm reasonably sure that the IPMI port is not getting any IP Adress via DHCP.

Appreciate your help!

marctuscher

Jan 31, 2022
Update:

I've found the IP and tried to downgrade the BIOS. Now, the Web GUI says Verify BIOS error and aborts the installation. Any suggestions?

BAZOOKAPANDA

May 19, 2022
bazookapanda.freecluster.eu
I am trying to do this as well.

I can get to the ipmi web gui
I go to bios update
I choose 1.10
I upload
I proceed
The system reboots (I think, interface goes down and comes back)

However, when I look at the dashboard it still doesn’t show the bios version (1.10) there no info it shipped with (3.20)

if I socket the cpu and try to post I get 00

if I try to update BMC it rejects it (unsuccessful)
No matter the version I choose from the website
It shipped with 1.19.00
No usb, pcie devices, 1 stick of ram

anybody have any advice
——————
next I’ll clear cmos and repeat steps

Last edited:

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
However, when I look at the dashboard it still doesn’t show the bios version (1.10) there no info it shipped with (3.20)
the new BIOS rev. is sent after a successfull POST by the CPU(BIOS) to the BMC.
so unless your cpu works and passes the POST, the informtion in the IPMI GUI is from the last working state.

Reactions: BAZOOKAPANDA

BAZOOKAPANDA

May 19, 2022
the new BIOS rev. is sent after a successfull POST by the CPU(BIOS) to the BMC.
so unless your cpu works and passes the POST, the informtion in the IPMI GUI is from the last working state.
I’ve never gotten past 00. I just did a bios update while on post code 00 which of course did a restart and still no post beyond 00. I guess I’ll try bios 1.3 and see if I have better luck there, unlikely
If it is a problem with my ram it should post past 00 correct?

I’m sure I’m just doing something wrong here as a thought the cpu might be clapped but the heat sink is warm to the touch so surely it’s doing something.
Thanks

Last edited:

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
If it is a problem with my ram it should post past 00 correct?
can be anything, CPU dead gives 00 too.
as usual check if you forgot to remove mainboard standoffs.
power supply good ? all connectors applied ?
RAM should give a RAM code, not 00 thought. which type of RAM exactly ?
CPU reported working ?
Motherboard reported working before BIOS update ?

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
I’ve never gotten past 00. I just did a bios update while on post code 00 which of course did a restart and still no post beyond 00. I guess I’ll try bios 1.3 and see if I have better luck there, unlikely
after BIOS update do a AC power cycle.
first start after BIOS updates take usualy looooooooooooooooooooger(heared about 2minutes)

BAZOOKAPANDA

May 19, 2022
Yep the board was like new when I got it l, don’t have any newer cpu to test with. No cosmetic damage, pins were perfect.

I was using an 8 pin eps and a 4 pin, than tried just 8 pin

I think the cpu works, I got it on eBay from a site that looks fairly reputable.

The ram is 2 32gb sticks.
Samsung M39A4K40CB2 - CTD6Y

I’ll start waiting longer after bios update to see if the code goes away. Thanks