ASRock Rack ROME8D-2T no post "00" with naples 7551p

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
I'm going to try and flash the bios chip using a USB flashing tool, I know an electronics store that might have one.
you should follow this plan first.

I can send you a fully programmed chip for $22usd, but it may take some time for it to be sent by dhl-parcel.

BAZOOKAPANDA

May 19, 2022
bazookapanda.freecluster.eu
you need just a chip for board with similar chip (256mbit soic16 300mil) and tell the seller the link of the bios file.
parts are
windbond W25Q256FV
mx25l25635fmi
I found the bios chip model number but couldn't find any pre-flashed with 1.3
I will look around for this "mx25l25635fmi"

I guess my options are:
1) Find a Rome CPU and use instant flash
2) Find a pre-flashed bios chip with 1.30

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
I found the bios chip model number but couldn't find any pre-flashed with 1.3
can not be there. you have to tell the seller which BIOS you want in the chip(works this kind as usual)

and estimated shipping cost to South Africa
$22usd is chip incl. dhl-parcel shipping. UPS will costs $70usd
normaly 3 weeks. dhl says we have to expect extended shipping time because some crisis situation.

dfi

Jan 26, 2021
How long did the first post after updating bios take?

did you have to wait to stop seeing 00 or did it goaway immediately?

was you 00 static or did it blink?
I don't login that often sorry for the slow reply, you have probably solved your problem one way or the other by now. I'll throw down so other details about the BMC updates that helped me with this configuration.

My hazy recall from a year ago about the BIOS update was that it would flash 00 at boot then the 00 would disappear after a short period of time.

My board shipped with BIOS V1.3 and BMC V1.1
downgrade sequence was:
update the BIOS to V1.1 through the IPMI which was as simple as logging into the IPMI web interface selecting the file and pressing update.

The 1.1 version of the BMC (IPMI) is pretty basic it lacks any proper fan control so i emailed Asock Rack about the highest version that will work with the 7551p. They informed me that it is 1.16 but because of an AMI update at version 1.12 the only way to upgrade to 1.16 is using socflash, Asrock emailed me BMC V1.16

I had already gotten a copy of BMC V1.11 before i talked to Asrock. after my conversation with them i decided to update to 1.11 though the web interface then use socflash to get it to V1.16

The 1.11 version has decent fan control settings which for me was the main thing that was missing.

I tried to socflash V1.16 but after a few attempts (waiting 2 minutes for every reboot gets painful) i decided that BMC V1.11 does what i need and i just needed to get this machine back up and running.

I have tweaked a lot of settings in the bios so i though that one of my bios changes might be preventing the socflash comunicating properly at some point in the future i may try installing BMC V1.16 again after i factory reset bios, we'll see :)

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
I have tweaked a lot of settings in the bios so i though that one of my bios changes might be preventing the socflash comunicating properly at some point in the future i may try installing BMC V1.16 again after i factory reset bios, we'll see :)
always a good idea only use the BMC VGA output to socflash.
we have learned that the socflash (mostly) fails if you have a GPU installed, because it searches at the VGA PCI path to find the BMC chip.

Reactions: dfi

BAZOOKAPANDA

May 19, 2022
Okay so for up dating the BMC I should do it with as few devices plugged in as possible, seems straight forward ill do that when I can get into bios.

As for the BIOS update maybe something is DOA because my bios update doesnt take at all.
  1. I select the file
  2. upload and than update
  3. reboot
  4. but still 00

BAZOOKAPANDA

May 19, 2022
I don't login that often sorry for the slow reply, you have probably solved your problem one way or the other by now. I'll throw down so other details about the BMC updates that helped me with this configuration.

My hazy recall from a year ago about the BIOS update was that it would flash 00 at boot then the 00 would disappear after a short period of time.

My board shipped with BIOS V1.3 and BMC V1.1
downgrade sequence was:
update the BIOS to V1.1 through the IPMI which was as simple as logging into the IPMI web interface selecting the file and pressing update.

The 1.1 version of the BMC (IPMI) is pretty basic it lacks any proper fan control so i emailed Asock Rack about the highest version that will work with the 7551p. They informed me that it is 1.16 but because of an AMI update at version 1.12 the only way to upgrade to 1.16 is using socflash, Asrock emailed me BMC V1.16

I had already gotten a copy of BMC V1.11 before i talked to Asrock. after my conversation with them i decided to update to 1.11 though the web interface then use socflash to get it to V1.16

The 1.11 version has decent fan control settings which for me was the main thing that was missing.

I tried to socflash V1.16 but after a few attempts (waiting 2 minutes for every reboot gets painful) i decided that BMC V1.11 does what i need and i just needed to get this machine back up and running.

Would you be able to tell me if you updated the BIOS when the system was on or off, as ipmi works regardless of whether or not the system is powered up.
Thank you

dfi

Jan 26, 2021
System needs to be powered on for IPMI to work.
Before updating the bios, the machine wouldn't "do" anything with the 7551p installed, no post screen logo. but i could find the IP of the IPMI on my network.

IPMI take a little bit of time to start on boot. Once the IPMI is started i could log onto that to do the updates

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
Are you sure about the winbond chip as I looked at mine and it's code is "25Q256JVFQ"?
small differences(features/102/133mhz), both work.
the 25Q256FV(EOL) is the part in older boards, replaces by the JV

Last edited: