ASRock Rack ROME8D-2T no post "00" with naples 7551p

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

BAZOOKAPANDA

May 19, 2022
bazookapanda.freecluster.eu
I wonder if the bios update is not taking because of the BMC version? Just a guess.

Unfortunately the BMC files a tried get rejected, despite being from asrock’s website.

Not sure why but I guess I’ll try them all again.

RageBone

Jul 11, 2017
Bios file from a stock website? Not Asrack?

I have a RomeD8 with Naples as well and i had no such issues flashing to the needed bios version.
SO, something is wrong on your end here.

BAZOOKAPANDA

May 19, 2022
Bios file from a stock website? Not Asrack?

I have a RomeD8 with Naples as well and i had no such issues flashing to the needed bios version.
SO, something is wrong on your end here.

Yes I got the bios file from asrock rack's website:
I am wondering if they changed the file and its not working as I can't seem to get it to take.

Thanks

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
Yes I got the bios file from asrock rack's website:
I am wondering if they changed the file and its not working as I can't seem to get it to take.
unpack the zip, inside is the file.
also the BMC FW may too new to accept the old BIOS.

BAZOOKAPANDA

May 19, 2022
unpack the zip, inside is the file.
also the BMC FW may too new to accept the old BIOS.
Cool, i think ill delete all the files and I downloaded and start fresh.

Could you elaborate and the BMC version as I tried to update the BMC with every version on Asrock's website and got an successful error every time.
Which version I should choose perhaps or where I could acquire and alternative copy.

Thank you

BAZOOKAPANDA

May 19, 2022
On Asrocks website it says to use instant flash to update the bios. I doubt this is possible when I can't post, if I can't post, I can't get to the bios, and therefore cannot use instant flash.

But someone on this forum clearly downgraded the bios using IPMI so I don't know.
1653111180946.png

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
downgrade BMC FW maybe not possible with IPMI itself, not unusual.
try to get a rome and use instant flash, or just to be sure the board is working.

BAZOOKAPANDA

May 19, 2022
downgrade BMC FW maybe not possible with IPMI itself, not unusual.
try to get a rome and use instant flash, or just to be sure the board is working.
That was my plan but I cant find one to borrow and and don't have enough capital to buy one and return it (student life).
I'm going to try and flash the bios chip using a USB flashing tool, I know an electronics store that might have one.

BAZOOKAPANDA

May 19, 2022
you can also buy one with 'your file' flashed. there are some ebay sellers around US and EU(NL)
Do you think that If i either bought a bios chip pre-flashed or have mine flashed do you think it would cause problems with the BMC version?

If indeed the BMC version is preventing a bios downgrade could this sudden bios change cause issues?
Or would the system interpret it the same way it would if the bios was simply downgraded?

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
If indeed the BMC version is preventing a bios downgrade could this sudden bios change cause issues?
the new BMC FW have other flash code not knowing the old BIOS. the whole BIOS chip is NOT just complete overwritten, there are pages have must be unchanged.

BAZOOKAPANDA

May 19, 2022
the new BMC FW have other flash code not knowing the old BIOS. the whole BIOS chip is NOT just complete overwritten, there are pages have must be unchanged.
So if I try to use a USB bios programmer this could overwrite content that should not be over written?

I was unable to locate a bios chip that ships to South Africa that is for the ROMED8-2T on eBay.
I might not be using the correct keywords though.

Do you have any listings in mind that you could refer me to?

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
I was unable to locate a bios chip that ships to South Africa that is for the ROMED8-2T on eBay.
So if I try to use a USB bios programmer this could overwrite content that should not be over written?
in this case the BIOS must be in flashable state, not initialized, works in ASRock afaik.
the programmer overwrites all - you may loose some MAC addresses, no BIOS update code(Afu/IPMI) writes the whole chip,
remaining pages are unknown to the new BM FW flasher code, and overwrites the wrong page/left other unchanged that holds new code.

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
I might not be using the correct keywords though.
you need just a chip for board with similar chip (256mbit soic16 300mil) and tell the seller the link of the bios file.
parts are
windbond W25Q256FV
mx25l25635fmi