ASRock Rack PAUL IPMI Card

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
It looks like ASRock Rack has come out with a PCIE x1 IPMI card.

Has anyone seen anything like this before? Could this be the beginning of having IPMI potentially on any motherboard?
Yes, Supermicro had cards like these for the x7 and older generations. The mainboard needed some special feature in Order to make the add in card Work.

seang86s

Feb 19, 2013
I remember the old Compaq Remote Insight iLo cards. only worked in Compaq's though. I installed more than a few in my day...

Part of me hopes so... but the cost of this card will probably not justify its cost.

Chris
I was able to make them work on non-HP/Compaq machines, including the power on/off. You were stuck with the "video card" on the Lights Out board, however, which just plain sucked.

I think the Lantronix Spider was your best bet for awhile, but I think that's discontinued. There are several Raspberry Pi gizmos out there. Here's one: TinyPilot.

Mithril

Sep 13, 2019
I was able to make them work on non-HP/Compaq machines, including the power on/off. You were stuck with the "video card" on the Lights Out board, however, which just plain sucked.

I think the Lantronix Spider was your best bet for awhile, but I think that's discontinued. There are several Raspberry Pi gizmos out there. Here's one: TinyPilot.
That is a neat little project. Are there any good options for splitting HDMI that downsample framerate, that HDMI capture device is only 30FPS. Not a huge deal but it would be nice not to move cables if directly connected to the machine

Waterkippie

Oct 12, 2017
Would love something like this, any more info or documentation on it? Does it only work on certain Asrock boards or should it be universal?

ramblinreck47

Aug 3, 2019
Called and William in Tech Support couldn't give me any information on it. He told me to send in some questions, which I did. We'll see what they send back.

ramblinreck47

Aug 3, 2019
UPDATE: Got an email back from the ASRock Rack team ->

"Thank you for your patience! According to product firmware engineering team, it’s said that the PAUL card works on all standard PCIe slot, and they are working on the documentation for this product and may release it soon. Thank you!"

EDIT: Also, I can't say enough nice things about how fast they got back to me and how easy they were to work with!

Last edited:

Spartacus

May 27, 2019
Austin, TX
UPDATE: Got an email back from the ASRock Rack team ->

"Thank you for your patience! According to product firmware engineering team, it’s said that the PAUL card works on all standard PCIe slot, and they are working on the documentation for this product and may release it soon. Thank you!"

EDIT: Also, I can't say enough nice things about how fast they got back to me and how easy they were to work with!
For as 'cheap' of a brand reputation as ASRock has they have really solid products and support if you need it to just work.

Reactions: ramblinreck47

Yunochi

Jul 12, 2019
We've received ASRockRack PAUL sample few days ago.

Until now, PAUL has been tested with ASUS PRIME B460M-A .
Remote KVM is perfectly functional, USB 2.0 header is necessary.

If additional VGA card is added, mouse cursor not working properly. This problem can be solved by changing the Primary VGA setting to PAUL.

Because I don't know which pin header to connect to the power and reset pins, the power control function doesn't work properly.
We only received the Quick Setup manual and do not know the detailed function of each pin header.

A8cpYtQ.png

Only Hard Reset action is working without pin connection. But how it works? Let me know if you have any good comments.
ACPI Shutdown freezes the entire card. Since the firmware is a test version, there may be features that are not implemented yet.

We'll run tests on more motherboards and workstations. Stay tuned.

ramblinreck47

Aug 3, 2019
Wow! Amazing!

Any idea when it's going to available and how much it's going to cost?
Looks like it’s up for sale in Australia at $214.50 AUD, which comes out to be about $165 USD.

I’m not sure how much of that cost is just because it’s Australia and tech there is generally more expensive anyway. I’m still thinking it’ll end up being about $150 USD with taxes and shipping totaled in.

It would be a hot item at $100 or under but at $150, it’s still a good deal if you have a workstation motherboard you love that doesn’t have IPMI. This would be nice to pair up with a cheaper ATX X570 motherboard and still keep it cost competitive with ASRock Rack’s X570D4U. It’ll be interesting to follow this card and see how well it works once they roll out a couple of updates (it always takes ASRock Rack a while to get bugs worked out, especially on newer tech).

Waterkippie

Oct 12, 2017
The GUI looks exactly like the GUI that came with my Asus X299 PRO/SE which also has IPMI. And it also has the exact same problem that KVM does not work with a discrete graphics card installed, which makes it pretty useless in the case of a workstation.

Also the GUI was full of warnings and errors about voltages being wrong while the system was fine. Really bad implementation.

Hope Asrock can do a better job than this.